Is feeding deer Killing Turkeys?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by flathunter, Feb 18, 2006.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I believe turkey numbers have drastically been reduced in many Ohio counties since "baiting deer" has been allowed and wonder if the ODOW has conducted any research on this trend?!?!

Aflatoxin and/or Mycotoxin deaths can be associated with "feeding" corn that contains fungis or mold. It is not always visible in the corn and high moisture can cause the mold to grow rapidly.

I've personally, found several dead birds on our Vinton County lease over the years that appear to have just dropped dead. Upon close inspection of their crops they all had corn present in their crops. We don't feed corn or bait on our property but our neighbors do and I suspect Aflatoxin or Mycotoxins to be the root cause.

According to Aflatoxin research conducted by several universities as little at 10ppb (parts per billion) can cause death in poultry. Do a "google" search on the topic and learn more.

2. GrainDrain

GrainDrain New Member

State:
    Texas
    All i know that feeding the deer on the ranch that i go to was only feeding the turkeys. Every morning we went all the turkeys ate the corn before any deer came in and then none was left for the deer to eat. I might look into it and ask a game warden that i know a few blocks away.

3. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jack,

I've been using feeders for a couple years now & so has Shane & Doug, Butch, etc..... We seem to have WAY MORE birds than we've had in the past.

4. Bubbahunter

Bubbahunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The one problem i see is that alot of guys are over feeding the herd,they are useing more corn then the wildlife can use.I see alot of wasted feed just layin everywhere and when it starts to rot this i believe is where the problems start.feeders are a great way to get and keep the turkeys and deer herd on you property and help keep them healthy and strong during the winter months.Just so long as you dont over feed and food plots are a great idea along with restoring habitat.

Brian ,there is no wasted feed anywhere near your feeders.The pictures you have show the coons are in there as much as the deer and turkeys.

5. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    I haven't heard of or seen any problems with the turkey population fluctuating in my area, but it does make sense on the mold problem. I know of several people who throw their corn straight ont the ground and it can mold up pretty quick with the mild winters we have in the south. It is something to look into.

6. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yes, my gosh, the coons & squirells, & blue jays dont leave much scraps!

7. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    As far as the turkeys go I have never heard of anything like that being caused by feeding, I havent had any problem on our properties and the turkeys themselves use the feeders a lot, and have never seen a decrease in the population of any dead turkeys. As far as the scrap grain goes I went out there the other day to check on the feeders and my god you should have seen the big ole fat doves all over the corn!:)

8. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ive never thought about that but now you mention it. The first and only year I put out corn I used a gravity feeder. After a really cold day I decided to check it and everything was frozen. About a week later I checked it again and it was clogged up. When I opened the lid it about knocked me down from the mold, Im allergic.:rolleyes: There were also dead field mice inside the tube. After that I decided no more feeding for me for a few reasons.
    I would not legally be able to turkey hunt or dove hunt on the property and the cost was also a factor.

9. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Derby thats interesting. I have never heard of anything like this before but I guess it would make sence if there is a high moisture count in the grain. Ive never heard about it from people that do it for a living though and have clubs that turkey hunts where they feed them. I just never thought that it would make them sick or kill them. I would think that if you dont have a high moisture count or use a grain dryer you would be fine then?

10. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I think mine molded due to it getting clogged, also I had a salt block right in front where the deer had dug a hole that now holds water. Sounds like your right on about the moisture, I dont know much about grain or feed.
    Im not against baiting but dont do it anymore. I just think there needs to be more research into things like this.

As far as affecting my turkey population I wouldnt know. I see them from time to time and found a few spots where they make a figure eight, strutting?
    I have found a few spots where a turkey had died but it looked more like a coyote or dog got ahold of em, feathers everywhere.

11. maine

maine New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    This is a very interesting thread. As an old deer HUNTER, I, too, have my reasons for not believing in feeding of any type. I say Hunter because when I hunted, I hunted wild animals, not trained game. We have politicians and special interest groups making game laws. And there are people out there hunting that shouldn't be out there. And also persons trying to make it a spectator sport...i.e. making money off the huinting public. I hunted from the early '50's until about 15 years ago but quit due to the direction the sport was going. Remember, these are just MY opinions and 2 cents worth. It seems almost impossible to find a good discussion on this subject.

maine