Is CPR helping the fish growth?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by bhunt, Sep 20, 2006.

1. bhunt

bhunt New Member

State:
    *Required*
    With the receant news of splash the 121lb blue cat caught in texas died of an infection to his jaw from maybe the hook that caught him. Just wondering if there has been any studies done on the survival rate of catch and release on catfish. Just wondering if this happens very often. I think personaly CPR is a good thing but I was just wondering with this new info about splash what others think about CPR of catfish.

2. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Splash was alive for almost 2 years after she was caught( January 04-December 05)... While the hook could have been a cause, don't you think it would have happened alittle bit sooner then it did? I don't think catch and release is a big problem, esp if you handle the fish correctly...

Oh and on a side note... i found an article about how Cody caught Splash... 20 lb test, 20 minutes to bring in, 121.5 lb fish and the fish was neither over exhausted or died because of the stress by having such a long fight... Hmmm I still think you don't need these 80 lb test lines on the reels.

3. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Bryan is someone making you spool 80lb line on your reels?Do you object to other folks choice to use it?Splash was caught in an essentially open water bay of the lake.Come to Santee and fish with a guide when he takes you out in the middle of a sunken forest in which you cant cast 30 ft without throwing your line over a submerged cypress tree or limb.Then try and hoist a 40lb flat out of those snags with 20lb test.The heavy line has a place and application,open snag free water isn't one of them.When its needed its needed and the option to use it is a "choice".I have caught 6-8 lb rainbow trout on 1.8 lb tippet which shows yes a good rod man can do it but I wouldn't want to do it in snag filled rivers.To those that say they need heavy line to quickly end the fight I say perhaps but there simply isnt enough scientific evidence to support that theory or the opposite either.Each fish is different and reacts differently.You fish with what and how you want but dont condemn anything out of hand.Trust me there has been times on Santee that I wish I had 160lb line cuase that whisper thin 80lb braid looked mighty frail down there in all those trees.:big_smile: :lol:

4. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Jim, sometimes I think we are related. I could not have said it better.LOL:eek:oooh: I try to fish where the fish are, not open bays where they occasionally roam. LOL. Fish get far worse injuries from one another and other causes to blame a fish hook for killing a fish two years later. That fish living two more years is far better than killing it right away.

5. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    If I am releasing fish...which is always, I prefer to not overfight or overplay the fish with too light of line. If it is getting thrown back in the water I just soon throw it back as healthy and as full of "wind" as possible. That is just me...I will leave the show boating to the Bassmasters who thinks it takes 5 minutes to land a 2 pound largemouth just to make good camera footage. I am not against light line or against heavy line because each has its own application, especially when it comes to what type of structure you are fishing. As for splash I don't think the fight of the fish had anything to do with its death or the whole hook thing. The fact is that, that fish was very very very old and thrown into a completely different environment...nothing good could come out of it, it was just a matter of time

6. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Well, I release all of the fish I keep except maybe a trout or two, or maybe a few bullheads for dinner some night at camp. I hope that by releasing them fishies that they will get lots bigger and just maybe I can hook em' up another day! Just a thought.

7. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    OK, your question was, is CPR helping the population. I ask what if noone ever released a catfish they caught. Of course it does. If of the many that are released a few die that is still more fish in the population than had none been released at all. Bass fishemen almost exclusively release their catch and on most bodies of water, the bass fishing is very productive. It would be the same with catfish, but over the years they have become known as a table fish, so many keep their catch. Vern

8. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I keep my share of fish but I also throw my share back somedays. Sure I think it helps in some cases but if I get a gut hook or something like that it goes on the dinner table.

9. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    I guess when it boils down to asking on numbers, then yes Im pretty confident CPR makes a big difference, but as far as size Im not so sure. I think its possible that releasing every fish caught lends way to a lot of competition among fish, perhaps causing overall lower weights among fish- so maybe its a checks and balances thing. I CPR all my fish, but this is just a thought ...

10. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Being on or at the water almost everyday I don't think keeping fish will hurt the population. From what I see most people don't catch. And even by reading most posts on BOC I don't see that many who are doing good at catching (this year anyway). We have some of the best bass, bluegill, and catfish ponds around and they are keeper ponds. Keep what you catch. You can see 20 people fishing and maybe 2 catching.

11. Clovis

Clovis New Member

State:
    Paris Tennessee
    CPR?

Catch. Photograph. Release?:confused2:

12. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i do the same or if a fish is harmed , in my opinion say one eye messed up or a fin broken and yes cpr helps iv caught the same fish before you can tell by scars in the mouth

fish are good heelers i find it hard to beleive splash was killed from infection more like captivity or diet iv seen fish fin each other bad and still survive

13. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I do know this, any fish you take home and eat does not grow any bigger. :big_smile: