Is Catalpa Worms the best?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by ClayDog, May 6, 2008.

1. ClayDog

ClayDog New Member

State:
    Maysville,Kentucky
    In my opinion, catalpa worms is one if not the best channel cat bait. How do you all feel about catalpa worms i caught my PB river channel at 19 lbs off of it and alot at any time of the year

2. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    From what I here they are one of the best bait there is for channels. Wish I could find some around here...never seem to have any luck getting them.

3. FordGuy2001

FordGuy2001 New Member

State:
    Texarkana,Texas
    Its been years since I used live ones, man that was back when I was a kid. From what I can remember they worked pretty darned good. I have tried the stuff from Little Stinker and have had no luck at all with it.

4. skip

skip New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have had good luck on channels drift fishing catalpa worms. Very good bait.

5. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Catalpa worms are a great channel and bluecat bait. I cant find many in KS but in OK they are top notch. They are a rare treat for me and its about time to start lookin for em.

6. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    Our catalpa trees are in bloom, so the worms won't be far behind. There is no denying that the cats love them. We usually use them on yo yos.

7. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I've got some Catalpa trees in my hood. Can somebody tell me about getting the worms??

8. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Mark, have you ever noticed if your leaves have holes in them or if they have been eaten? Not all trees will become "infested" with them. Here within the next couple of weeks, if your tree has them, you will see little yellow and black catterpillar lookin things on the leaves. In the mornin the will be at the base of tree and are easy pickens but since you dont get up that early(lol) lay a tarp under the tree and shake the braches. They are worth lookin for if your tree doesnt produce.You can also tranplant worms to your tree for next year, if you dont mind having a leafless tree by July.

9. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    Just find a tree with some worms on them, and ask to borrow a few. Mother Nature takes over from there.

We had a thunderstorm blow all of our worms away one year and had to get some more for the tree.

10. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    One more thing. We freeze the worms when they are big and juicy. They are just as effective coming out of the freezer.

11. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Thanx to all for the advice, I will keep an eye out for them. Since all the trees are in neighbors yards, they might not like me stompin' around their place at 5:00 am. I don't think they would take kindly to my "STOCKING" their trees either. GO FIGURE!!

12. kevhead56

kevhead56 New Member

State:
    Greenfield, Il
    I made a tight hook on the end of an old swimming pool cleaning pole. I just reach up when I find one on the bottom of the leaves and pluck the leaves and worm off. I have a small playmate cooler that I place them in. They stay fresh and have their favorite food to eat.

13. williambevels

williambevels New Member

State:
    alabama
    they are the tops i like to take a big fat one and cut it in half and then take the hook and turn the worm in side out.puts out a odor and it drives the fish nuts.

once they clean the leaves,they will come down the base of the tree.i wait till they are fat and juicy.also when i freeze mine i put them in a container with a snap on lid and cover the worms with yellow corn mill,don't use white it has salt in it.

14. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Thanks for asking such a great question. I was wondering. My sister has a catalpa tree in her yard so I hope to be able to try it this year.:big_smile:

15. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yeah, I'm kinda bummin'. No sign of any worms yet, but I'm not surprised. 2 years ago, my tree was just loaded down with them. Last year, there were worms, but not nearly as many. This year, I haven't seen a one yet. They should be there by now. :sad2:

16. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Catalpa worms are great bait for more than just channels. The skin is really tough. When fishing for bluegills cut them into pieces and these pieces will last and last, and still catch fish even when they're down to tiny tidbits. It's amazing.

I have trees on my place (the big one I planted in 90' or 91', two are volunteers from that one) and 2 yrs ago I probably collected >200 worms from these trees, last year zero on account of the drought, I guess. This year I shook 24 worms off the big tree.

I've blended the worms up and used them in dough bait on trotline before with excellent results.

17. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    I have used them fishing in the Cumbahee River growing up tightlining panfish and anything else that bites. Have any of you turned them inside out before putting them on the hook. We used a wooden matchstick and pushed the back end through the head until they were wrong side out. Bait the hook and the bream tore them up. Try this, you may be surprised how much more they bite. This would work real well with the ones that have been frozen as well.:wink:

18. ohiocattin15

ohiocattin15 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i float 2 of them under a slip bobber suspending them in the middle of the water, caught good numbers on them

19. littlecat

littlecat New Member

State:
    west virginia
    in my part of town there is a guy that has two trees and there on them every year. and they will eat every leaf on them off so he doesent mind if i get them every year. he likes his trees more than the worms. if u google the life cycle of the hawk moth u will find that they are the larva of it hope it helps.

20. clintok

clintok New Member

State:
    oklahome
    my uncle and I used some catalpa worms here a while back for my catfish bait, and we cought I sand bass. haha!!:smile2: