Is braid that much better than mono?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by Dirtdobber, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I have never used braid before and was wondering if it is really better than mono? I would like to try it but have no idea which or what kind to use.

2. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    To be honest Jim.. i tried some braid the other day and it seems the cast distance is farther than mono will cast but cutting the tag end of the line is an absolute pain plus it curls up more while your tryin to tie somethin on. If you use mono stay with it IMO. Hope this helps.:wink:

3. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    braid sucks less than mono... they still havent came out with the perfect line yet.

4. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    imo braid is good for horsing in a fish as long as thres no rocks around,,, thats about as good as it gets, everything else about it sucks, has absolutley no abrasion resistance and the line doesnt stretch at all, id stay with the mono, imo

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I hate braid, I would not use any brand of braid if it was free.

6. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    I love braid been using it since spiderwire originally came out with it BUT I will admit fishing around rocks with it is not the best idea. I fish with 65lb power pro which is my personal favorite also the stren super braid is sweet!! I've been thinking about switching to it actually, a friend of mine bought some and I love how it casts and it's has a lot better abrasion resistance.

7. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    +1

8. sjohn58

sjohn58 Guest

Ok, people hate braid line for a lot of reasons.
    One AJ talked about cutting the tag end, they make small scissors, 2-3 bucks, tag end no more problem.
    Braid in smaller than Mono and slick to.
    So back up the braid with mono 10 ft or so on your reel, or you can use some tape. Then it will not slip. Problem gone.

Mono is more abrasion resistant than Braid line, that why a lot people use
    65lb on the ABU 6000-6500. See how much 50lb line you can get on a reel that size. Take two reels and put 50lb mono on one and 65lb power pro on the other, and cast them with the same weights, then tell me which line out casted the other.
    I hear the line dig's in the reel, and backlashes, you have to get the line on tight, never try to break the line by pulling on or with the pole, take a small stick rap the line around it and use it to pull with.

I can go on and on, I really like the ABU 6500C3 that I have Power Pro on.:wink:

9. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i use braided line for drifting/bouncing. it has no stretch and is very bite sensitive. you can feel a fish breath on it. but since it has no stretch you need to leave your drag looser than you normally would to lesson the shock of a hard strike or run. mono is my choice for drifting/dragging or for anchor/bank fishing. it has a lot of stretch and like they said it will stand up to abrasion from rocks and brush better. lines are like other equipment no single one is right for every occasion.

10. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I use 100# power pro & have for 3 years & will never go back to mono...Enough said ! :eek:oooh:

11. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I started out using Braid line back in 1989 hated it back then. But for the last 12 years its all I use.:cool2:
    Now if I used rod holders or fished from the bank all the time. Not sure if I would use it or not. But 85% of the time I control Drift fish. Braid allows me to feel everything that is going on with my bait and sinker. As in each rock and log I feel. Let a fish breath on my bait or suck it in. I feel it. No stretch means more fish are hooked with Braid.:wink:
    As with others Braid allows me to load up the reel with extra line that Mono does not allow me to do. Theres days I will be bouncing my bait 150 yards up to 250 yards behind the boat. Mono your not going to feel as much and sure not set the hook on a fish that far out as easy as with braid.:sad2:
    Your style of fishing may allow mono to fit your needs better, me its braid . Also with braid I have to change line from running out not from it breaking down and becoming a week link.
    As with hooks, Reels, Rods, Boats, Motor's, trucks, Shoot even wifes... Line has and always be what fits your needs. What works for my style of fishing will not fit someone else. So please make the choice for your self. I had people telling me they would never use braid because there hooks slip off the Braid. This is not braid lines fault, it was theres for not rigging right.
    As long as you use a little backing on the reel or just run it all off on the water then reel Braid back on. This takes care of it slipping on the spool. It does have issues like all other line. :006:
    Pete

12. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I tried braid one time. Made about 3 casts with it in freezing temperatures and had the biggest mess I have ever seen. Frozen on the reel. I threw it away and will never look back. Mono for me. I have no problems with mono at all. I can cast a chunk of cut bait over 75 yards which is all I need to be able to do.:cool2:

13. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I've got 65# power pro on 3, 6500c. So far so good but never used it in winter either. Ya just caught my attention with it freezing. I bass fish alot in the coldest part of the year with p-line flurocarbon, no problems other than the tip top icing up.

14. teamcatfish

teamcatfish Guest

i used braided line for about a year but i quit using it because i noticed that it was starting to cause a cut (trench) into the end of my 2 eyes so i changed back to my copolymer line there is nothing better then P-LINE CXX I will stay with this line until they quit making it

15. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Interesting replies, and reps sent to a few who heralded the braid. The key is:

<As with hooks, Reels, Rods, Boats, Motor's, trucks, Shoot even wifes... Line has and always be what FITS YOUR NEEDS. What works for my style of fishing will not fit someone else.>

This is a very true statement. I cannot even count the trophy fish I lost using 40# 'Big Game' mono, with the monster fish running into the HEAVY STRUCTURE and breaking me off. Now, with the 100# Power Pro braid I use, in conjunction to the amazingly durable 60# fluorocarbon leader, I can horse the fish around much easier, and have a much higher landing ratio than I ever could imagine with monofilament. Braid untangles easier than mono. Braid does not retain "memory" like mono. Braid ties easily. Braid physically outlasts mono 20 to 1. Braid is NOT susceptible to UV rays as mono is. I have fished with the braid in temperatures as low as 15 degrees F, and noticed NO ill effects from the cold. Modern Power Pro formulas do NOT damage eyes on rods. This discussion comes up EVERY week on the BOC, and my answer is always the same. IF you are fishing open, snag free water, certainly you might be able to manage big fish on monofilament line. IF you fish areas of heavy structure, monofilament is a JOKE. It all boils down to the above mentioned quote, which I will quote again:

<<As with hooks, Reels, Rods, Boats, Motor's, trucks, Shoot even wifes... Line has and always be what FITS YOUR NEEDS. What works for my style of fishing will not fit someone else.>>

If all I had to fish with for trophy cats was monofilament, I would QUIT fishing. Again, mono is a JOKE in the waters I fish. BTW: I frequently see many top guides fishing (drifting and anchoring) the big waters on the Santee with braid. While mono is limited to certain fishing conditions, braid is versatile enough for ALL fishing elements. Power Pro RULES SC waters.

Bill in SC

16. buckethead

buckethead New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I feel the same way as most of you do, I have one reel with Power Pro on it, dont care for it, I like the Berkley Big Game Solar.

Would rather use Mono, JMO

17. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I wont use braid because I fish areas of heavy structure...I use 25-lb test mono, and have never had problems in horsing flatheads over 50-lbs out of log jams, and in heavy current..

If I was catching flatheads of 75-100 lbs I might up my mono to 30-lb test.

while trying power pro, it would break on any tree, or rock it came in contcat with...also sandy river bottoms frayed it badly.

If someone gave me a 10 year supply pf power pro I would burn it:big_smile:

i lost 2 big fish because of power pro, never have lost a fish do to using mono.

18. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    I finally broke down and bought some spiderwire and didnt care for it, it seems my sliding egg sinker frayed the line, so now i have to tie a mono leader to run the egg sinker on, should have just stayed with mono?

19. bigd4xman

bigd4xman New Member

State:
    Haysville, KS
    Ive used braid for the last 5-6 years but this year I've decided I'm done jackin with the stuff trying to figure it out. Every time I break off its where I wrap something to break it so I end up losing 50 or more yards of line, instead of it just breaking off at the sinker. And it is a pain to trim the tag line. Yes, your reel can hold more of it but I use reels that will hold 330+ yards of mono no problem. No, mono doesnt come in HUGE LB test ratings like braid, but come on people have caught record fish on 10 lb test, its all about knowing how to play the fish and not just "horsing" them in.
    GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN FISHING!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    AMAZING how our similar fishing experiences have produced such different results. Exactly the opposite here. Whatever you're comfortable and confident with... Again, braid RULES SC waters!

Since you are going to burn Power Pro, I'm gonna pee on your mono! :smile2:

BTW: for all you folks who have Power Pro that you don't like, if it is 80 to 100# and in good shape, I'll trade you brand new mono in whatever test you want in the same length. Please don't burn it. That would be blasphemy!

Bill in SC

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009