Is Berkly big game the best abraison resitant mono?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by flathunter, Jun 10, 2009.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Some of the areas I fish have under water sand humps, and trees that I have to reel my line thru on everycast.

I have tried several brands of Mono, but none of them hold up as well as berkly biggame..The other I have tried are lucky to make it thru one outing before I have to change the line out do to fraying..

I have not tried many brand but here are the ones I have tried.

Bass pro excell- the best of the others I have tried.

Stren high impact.

Vicious- the worst I have tried, good casting but poor abrasion resistant.

Cajun red- could not even get it to cast far enough to know.

Ande- made it 3-4 cast before my rig was flying off do to line fraying

I always go back to big game cause it works for me, but I also like to experiment with new line.

What are your thoughts on good mono with high abrasion resistance that will cast far and smooth.

2. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I use, and like the Big Game, I had a big spool of 50#,, and it's,,, TOUGH.. really like it.

I also use, Hi-Seas Quattro Camo Mono.. 30# is the weight I have.. I'm VERY impressed with it's strength, toughness, and abrasion resistance..
    I use the 30# on 6500's and 7000's.. The 50#, I have spooled up on a few 7000's..
    Can't think of a need for much else..

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have 2 brand new spools of bass pro off shore angler high impact line..I am giving one to my buddy Roger to try out, I am afraid to use it.

If it works for him I will give it a shot, if it fails him it is going into the trash..LOL:big_smile:

4. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    This year I bought 2 great big spools of Big Game....I'll never buy it again....not very abrasion resistant compared to cajun red lightning. The cajun takes some getting used to to be able to cast it far....but it is the toughest line I have ever used....and much cheaper than BG.

I beleive the cajun red lightning in 20# is tougher than 40# Big Game.JMO.:confused2:

5. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Gamma Copolymer, or probably any other brand of copolymer, is going to be tough as nails. I use braid on my catfish poles, but for bait poles etc I stick to copolymer. Triple Fish perlon lines are also very tough.

6. Bigfish4me

Bigfish4me New Member

State:
    Conshy Pa
    Use to use and love big game......switched to power pro braid and will NEVER go back to mono....but if i did it would be big game.

7. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I'm with Flathunter on this one. I like the Big Game line. I have also used and like Stren Magnaflex.

8. farbeyonddriven

farbeyonddriven New Member

State:
    Indiana
    In my opinion Big Game can't be beat when it comes to mono lines.

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have used Berkley Big game for years and have no complaints. I have tried other brands but always come back to Berkley. I especially like the BBG Solar line.

10. ghudson434

ghudson434 New Member

State:
    virginia
    mamoi hi catch in 40 lb is a great line. love it.

11. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Super low memory-PLine Flouroclear 30# or xxx Strong as nails and casts as smooth as you can get.

12. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I use this in 20 lb line. Its all I want to break it when snagged.

13. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    I mainly use Ande and Stren High Impact. I've tried that Hi-mano line, never again. I had several rigs with 40lb line break like nothing.

14. stangcrazy85

stangcrazy85 New Member

State:
    PerryTucky
    BG has been doin the trick for me 40# to be specific

15. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    I use 50lb BG and I couldn't ask for anything better. It has never failed me. It has my vote.

:cool2:

16. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    I asked the same question. I found a test on big game on another site that showed it consistantly broke at 150+ per cent of rating dry and over 140 percent after soaking for 20 min.
    sounds like a no brainer to me:wink:

however I also like the pline xxx copoliner. BG is cheaper!

17. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    i usally use bg but this year i got some berkley trilene iron silk 30# its a super polymer it has low memory and casts good seems to be a good line but only been out 4 times with it the box says it s as tough as iron and smooth as silk suppose to outlast tough lines 2to1 igot it in solar mint color and hard to break

18. flatheadsteve

flatheadsteve New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i use the bass pro excell and i love it. i was using big game and i switch over to the excell and like it alot better! the cajun red is good to just get the "red lightning" NOT THE "ADVANTAGE"!!! the cajun red lightning holds up alot better than the cajun advantage.

19. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    all my leaders are 40# berkley big cat mono, seems ta hold up very well, and i'm in alot of rocks and cover

20. catchaser19

catchaser19 New Member

State:
    UTAH
    Well to put it simply, have you had any issues with big game mono? if not it aint broke so dont fix it. I have used big game my entire life and have only busted off when the line was severely abused and old. My vote will always be with big game.:cool2: