is anyone planning on going south for skipjack

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by rodenberg, Jan 16, 2009.

1. rodenberg

rodenberg New Member

State:
    missouri
    I was just woundering if anyone was planning on heading south for a skip jack run. I would like to go but dont have any idea where or when to go. I would be interested in following someone down or having someone jump in with me for a trip down.

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    There has been talk, but nothing set in stone that I know of yet. I'm thinking about heading south in a couple of weeks.

3. JoeFriday

JoeFriday New Member

State:
    Indep. missouri
    Im planing on going...I have what to some might be a dumb question. I am planing on spending 4 or 5 days down there on a little vacation..Fish for maybe the first 2 days...BUT how do i keep them frozen? Im guessing ill have to take a freezer with me which will be a nightmare since the only one i have is 50 years old and it feels like 250 pounds. Any one have any better ideas? I just dont want to get down there and then come back with a bunch of rotten fish. Thanks anyone for help

4. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Dont know how far south you boys are planning on going ? But I can can give you a Heads Up.Look at Cumberland City,TN steam plant.Lots of SKIPPERS to be had their Right Now. And the waters just right. :cool2:

5. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Nick,

A couple of ideas.. You could use dry ice and a cooler. The catch to that is that you might have to look around for dry ice. I didn't see any in the Piggly Wiggly there in Erin, near Cumberland City. Another possibility is to use regular ice and salt it, which will make it melt faster, but also make it colder. It won't freeze the skipjack solid, but they will freeze somewhat. I wouldn't try to do either one for more than a day or two though.

6. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Just throw them in the back and drive home if the weather stays like it is now.:smile2: @ of my buds went to Cumberland City Wednesday and flat wore them out.

7. leftemptyhanded

leftemptyhanded New Member

State:
    St.Joseph,Missouri
    doesnt walmart sell dry ice i know they use too

8. JoeFriday

JoeFriday New Member

State:
    Indep. missouri
    Id be interested in heading south also for a night or two however long it takes.

9. faith

faith New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey,

I am new to this sight. I am from the bootheel in Missouri. I have seen a couple of you are looking for skip jack fishing. I go to New Johnsonville in a cove off of the cumberland river. Do very well. Anyone up for a trip? My name is Jason.

10. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Jason.

11. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey Jesse, I can't take off right now or or I would be game for a road trip.
    If you find someone to go with you I will be willing to cover some of your expenses or buy some from you when you get back.

12. faith

faith New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Where you live Rob

13. Honzy333

Honzy333 New Member

State:
    MO
    Im going down this week hopefully and bringing a bunch back.

14. faith

faith New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Nathan,
    If you catch more than you can handle, I will buy some from you.

15. duckalot

State:
    Missouri
    Between Carrollton and Chillicothe .

16. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    dry ice works great just google dry ice and you can search for a dealer near you and I think buy it by the pound.It might be dryice.com

17. Honzy333

Honzy333 New Member

State:
    MO
    Plannin on going south Friday. With all the rain I want to make sure that they will be there. Anyone heard anything?

18. duckalot

State:
    Missouri
    I might be going in that direction after all. My company is sending crews to West Kentucky to work the Ice storm. Seven day rotation work schedule so I doubt I will be doing any fishing. We will have trucks going back and forth so keep that in mind for possible skipjack transport!!!!
    I'll be sick if I get that close and still don't get any Skippy's for this year! LOL

19. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

Just tell us where you bought your Dry Ice John? Did you get it on the way, or down there? Most of us Missourians/Illinoisans will be traveling pretty much the same path at some point of our trips.

20. Honzy333

Honzy333 New Member

State:
    MO
    Anyone doing any good in this cold weather for big blues?