Is anyone fishing on Ross Barnett in Mississippi?

Discussion in 'MISSISSIPPI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by flatheaddundee, Feb 1, 2006.

1. flatheaddundee

flatheaddundee New Member

State:
    Madison,MS
    Any body doin any fishin on the Ross Barnet Resevoir?

2. memphis-cat

memphis-cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    No, I have not fished that area, but I pass by there every time I go home to Louisiana...but on another note...my grandfather used to fish there and bring home pickup beds full of catfish....

3. basshole

basshole New Member

State:
    Mo
    I fish the Ross Barnett some...planning on doing alot more this spring/summer....wondering if anyone might have a good design pattern for some hand grabbing boxes?? Any help would be appreciated.

4. Ronnie Reeves

Ronnie Reeves New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Most of the people around here that I have talked to use plastic 55 gal, drums. I bought a couple from the Rankin Co. co-op for 10.00 each. I went past there this week and they still have alot setting outside.

5. Ronnie Reeves

Ronnie Reeves New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I mainly fish the Pelahatchie Bay area of the Res. and do alot of jugfishing, and some tightlining. I'm getting rigged up to start crappie fishing at night using the lights that you put in the water. I have had real good luck with fresh crappie used as cut bait for blue cats.

6. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    hey ronnie................ good to see u again..................:)

7. Ronnie Reeves

Ronnie Reeves New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Hey Coach same here! Im in the middle of a job change so I hope to have alot more time to fish this year. Those 60-70 hour weeks were bad for the fishing lol.... How's the fishing on the river?

8. basshole

basshole New Member

State:
    Mo
    Hey ronnie are the drums llegal? don't know why i have this in my head but i thought someone said you could only use the homemade wooden boxes?? I am not trying to call you out at all....just trying to be sure i have all my ducks in a row before i go do it...can't afford a ticket at all!! How do you weight the barrels down?do you use any stakes to hold them stationary or what?? Thanks, Rick

9. Ronnie Reeves

Ronnie Reeves New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Rick, I made dog houses out of the ones that I bought. You may have to use wood box's in the res. call Ms. game & fish to make sure. I don't hand grab so I don't know the regulations on that. Good luck on your search.

10. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Ronnie Reeves, we should meet on the water one day this spring. Do you jug in the daytime or night? I jug that same area.

11. Ronnie Reeves

Ronnie Reeves New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Tonyjr, I mainly fish during the day but will go night fishing also. I went this afternoon to catch some bait for the morning. The shad have moved shallow in the bay, caught enough to throw a few jugs out in the morning. Iwill be in the bay in the morning, I fish a Polarcraft alluminum boat with a 25 hp. 4stroke Yamaha. Give me a shout and we will get together.

12. ratred

ratred New Member

State:
    mississippi
    Hi. Im new to the forum and just learning about catfishing. Any one catching any at Barnett . I caught a good bit in April Last year jug fishing. Are they biting yet? I know the crappie was fun catching last week before the rain and cold front moved in . They will be biting good as soon as we get a little warmer weather, probably by next weekend. My son really would like to start catting more. Do you guys do better tightlining , jugging ,or trot-lining?

13. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    This weather changing back and forth have them off currently. I believe in 3 to 4 weeks it'll start getting right!:rock-big:

14. Ronnie Reeves

Ronnie Reeves New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Ratred, I don't trotline anymore due to those that love to cut the lines. I do real good jug fishing but I have started baiting a couple holes to take my boys so they can do some tight lining.

15. ratred

ratred New Member

State:
    mississippi
    Ronnie , hope to touch base with you or Tony JR sometimes this spring . My son loves fishing and always goes with me. He is the best fishing buddy a guy could have. He is 14. How old are your children ? Please post a message if you guys start to doing any good in Pelehatchie Bay . We went to Lake Washington yesterday, caught a few crappie then tried the cats with some drift fishing. Only caught a couple small ones.

16. Ronnie Reeves

Ronnie Reeves New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I have two boys 10 and 14. My 10 year old loves to fish, I took him one morning last week and threw out one line of jugs. We caught seven in about 30 min. pulled them up and went home. Had a good mess of fish for supper.

17. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    My chill'ns are young. 4 and 2!! We wont start jugging until after Easter. I'll let you know how we do. We go at night only!!! It's a lot calmer and not as much traffic nor yahoos.:cool:

18. Ronnie Reeves

Ronnie Reeves New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Tony, I agree with you about the traffic. I'm headed out in the morning for a few hours in the bay if the wind doesn't get to bad. Give me a shout sometime you are going out at night I might mix some night time crappie fishing with some jug fishing.

Later, Ronnie

19. ratred

ratred New Member

State:
    mississippi
    My son and I done a little tight lining this afternoon above 43 . Only caught one channel. Great evening to be on the water . I agree with you guys about the traffic on Barnett . It seems to be a lot of inconsiderate people on the water . The weekends are terrible with the traffic. Thats why I like to go to the Mississippi at Vicksburg. The catfishing should get good very soon.

20. ratred

ratred New Member

State:
    mississippi
    Caught a few small channels in the bay. Windy........