Is anyone catching cats on Bull Shoals?

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Smellycat, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    I was wondering if anyone is fishing Bull Shoals Lake, if they are catching anything, and if so, where?
    We usually fish at Russellville, but the water is too strong.
    Has anyone been to Pot Shoals? I guess that is our best bet if no one has any other suggestions.

2. akwolf41

akwolf41 Master Instigator of the BOC!

State:
    Kenai, Ala
    Dennis;

I have not been out on the Lake this year. My boat had been setting for 18 months and I had to drain all the gas and clean everything up. I have it all done now and I am ready to get up to Pot Shoals and give it a Try. If you guys want to plan a Trip over here let me know ahead of time so I can get that time off and I will meet ya up there. The Lake is about 40 feet higher now than the last time you were over here. I am too Ready.

Gene

3. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    OK Gene, we will start the plan. How much notice you gotta give?
    What about just one evening, fish for some perch before dark, for bait, then fish till 12:00, and go home unless we are scoring big.
    We have "some" frozen skips.

4. Wiscars

Wiscars New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Yeah Smelly, Friday night we caught eleven fish that went 92 lbs . The big fish was 31#blue and a21#flat. Rest were 3 to 8 lbs. Jugged from Music creek to just past pens. Blue was in the oakland pool,ie. the LAST jug! 18 to 25 foot with cut skippies and golden suckers cut. Good night! We went cause the Ark. river is so high. Glad we went. Boat traffic is way back , so you get a good drift there when the wind is light and SW. Bays have too many treetops to snag up on. Some other guys had good fish from yo yo's in those tree tops on points. Mostly channel and flats. Get Going Smelly! This weekend will be tough to run jugs,but the wardens point is where we got the good flat on a 6" bluegill in 28' of water. Lots of fiddlers there on liver, Oh My!Good Luck and glad you made it back from Dardenelle in one piece.

5. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    Thankx a million Mark. We are going to concentrate the rest of the year on that area as we have fished there several times and it is`nt so far away. I don`t think the river will be fishable for a long time. Probably won`t go back till winter to restock skipjack supply at the nuke plant.
    Am trying to meet up with Gene Chambers over there for a night out.
    My son and I may come on over one evening next week.
    I will let you know when we are coming so you can see if you can come.
    Thanks again for the report.

6. akwolf41

akwolf41 Master Instigator of the BOC!

State:
    Kenai, Ala
    Dennis;

They make my work schedule on a wed before the next work week.

If I just know about what day of the week you wanna come over I will take that day off every week. LOL. Are you planning to launch your boat up there at that cove you launched at last time that is just up from Pot Shoals cove?

I will probably just run up there from down near the dam as it's only about 13 miles. Cheaper than towing to the cove or towing to Oakland.

Let me know. I sent you a PM.

Gene

7. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    I will get back to you on a day after I talk to the boys today. I am thinking wednesday nights as I almost never have to work the side job on that day.
    Probably will launch same place, but if it`s just you and me, we can just take one boat maybe?

8. Wiscars

Wiscars New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Smelly, My fishing plans depend on my son being here. He lives in Indy and visits when he can with little to no advance warning. But he is planning to move here soon so the future looks good to hook up on "The Shoals". Hopefully by then we can still buy a little gas. I fish from a 20' Supreme 2000 river boat with new 4 stroke fifteen hp Merc. Have to watch the wind, when it blows ; fishing with jugs is out and we shy away from the big water. Anyway, it is one of the best places I know to greet dawn and sunrise. Still a bit wild out there at night. Will keep you posted . Good luck. Hope to meet Gene too one day. :wink:

9. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    WE got the exact same motor wisecars. We are planning to hook up with Gene wed. as it stands now.

10. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    Gene and I postphoned our trip till this wed. because of the thunderstorms predicted for last wed night.

11. Homeybrew

Homeybrew New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Man, it's supposed to be nice all week this week. Gonna be hot during midday, but nice. Are we still gonna plan on trying again this week?

12. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    Andy, Gene was supposed to call me, but he has`nt. I will call him today.

13. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN

That sounds like some great fishing and all the motivation you would need to get back out on the water

14. Homeybrew

Homeybrew New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    He's probably already fishing.

15. Homeybrew

Homeybrew New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    It's on. 5pm tomorrow.

16. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    We will be at pot shoals thursday night. Gene will try to meet us there if he can. Anyone else wants to show up, would love to meet up. Maybe we can surround em!

17. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    Well, I just thought I would put in my report for anyone heading over to Bull Shoals. The water is so high that the ramp is under water at Pot Shoals. We tried to put in from the road, but could`nt get the boat off the trailer. My truck would have been under water to get deep enough to offload the boat.
    We looked and looked for a place to put in but no luck, so we decided to go back to Peel. The ramps there are all under water too and they have "road closed" signs up everywhere. We went around the signs and put in from the road anyway.
    It was almost dark by now, but we managed to catch quite a few perch up in a cove. Then we cruised around some points looking for fish on the fish finder. We never found any, maybe partly because of all the debris in the water. I did`nt know the area so we did`nt get more than a mile from the road. Andy caught one small channel on a worm and that was it. There is sooo much water. We wanted to fish only with rod and reels but, I can see why jugging would work to cover a lot of the area, although it looks like you could lose a lot of jugs back up in all the brush and trees.
    Maybe next time we`ll get em.

18. Wiscars

Wiscars New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Smelly, We launch from a friends home at Oakland. Actually his yard. A real muddy affair. This year is a whole new game getting to the water without driving way too much. Headed back to the river Aug. 2 for some new moon fishing at Morrilton. River is right, in the 40-50cfs range, and they are catching some fish. :roll_eyes: Hope it isn't soo hot.