Is anybody fishing?

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Mac-b, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    I had as my guest Bro. Price Monday morning and we drifted three coves and did not tag a big one, only several small ones. Noticed that the carp are about to spawn. Went yesterday scouting and caught 7 or 8, mostly young flats (5 to 8 pounds) and several blues. Today I went out with two guys from New York and we managed to catch one nice blue (17-18 pounds) and some small stuff. It appears that the cats on LKN have not come back from the cold spell that we had two weeks ago or I have forgotten how to catch them. Water surface temp. has risen from 56 degrees last week to 70 degrees this morning in the shallow water (10'+-).
    How are you guys and gals fairing with your bite? PS, Lake Norman (aka the dead sea) can put a hurting on a fisherman is a hurry, can I get an AMEN on that?

2. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    Amen.

I haven't been on the lake all year. Been trying to finish up our house. Were moving tomorrow so maybe in a month or so I'l be able to fish with you guys some. Well, that is if I'm still welcome after the argueing this week :lol:

3. Live Baiter

Live Baiter New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Mac, I went this morning and got 3 blues... They weighed in at 46,32,30. Also got 4 stripers and 8 channels.. Biggest striper was 18lbs. Water temp. was 64. Not a bad day. see ya

4. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Colt, exchange of ideas is healthy for our sport. There are always two sides/opinions to every debate. In the end we or the powers to be will have to bring together all the ideas presented and offer the best solution for the benefit of the sport. Some will like the end results and some will not but, the majority will win overall.

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I might slide on down to a spot on the Neuse that doesnt get fished near enough provided I can get some eels.

6. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Mark, do you think eels would work on a place like Lake Norman, since our fish are not use to them? I do know that cats will eat a wounded snake if given a chance. Also, would it be illegal to fish with an eel in a lake where they are not native to that body of water?

7. jpw

jpw New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey Eric were you fishing up river again? Were they moving any water? Cut bait I assume? That was a good day..lol.

8. kylekutta

kylekutta New Member

State:
    NC

I would not thinks so since you can buy gold fish and they are not native to any waters in nc are they? Just a guess? Let me know if you find out different.

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I imagine norman has an eel population of some sort. I would venture to say most bodies of water do. I've caught them in ponds lakes and rivers.
    I guess they get transplanted by birds and people.
    I've read a little on river eels and its interesting to say the least. They are a migratory species that come from across the big pond yearly. Of course there are also eel farms so we could have them year round.

You never know. Eels might be the undiscovered secret bait on LKN.

I've never seen anywhere where its illegal to fish with eels.
    Game wardens go into baitshops. I couldnt imagine anyone selling illegal bait of any kind.

This is another one of those confusing bait topics.
    like fishing with live bream. You have to catch the bream on a rod and reel.
    but where must it be caught?
    I've had people tell me you have to catch them where you fish and I've had a warden tell me I can catch them at home in a pond and use them in a river.
    If I do catch them at home I always have something I can catch a bream on with me catfishing so there is no question as to how I caught them.

I would ask a warden on the body of water you fish, write his name down, and file it away.

10. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I think they would eat eels also. Probably going fishing somewhere on the neuse tomorrow.

11. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    eels would be originally native to the catawba where norman is .....its just they may not be there now since all of the dams though i have heard(dont know if its true or not) that eels will come out of the water and slither like a snake around some dams but i am sure a big dam like norman would be impossible for 1 to ascend ....or for that matter all the dams below it..........also i ahve caught plenty of eels in the haw below jordan so somehow they get upstream around buckhorn dam....never caught 1 above jordan though.....mack

12. price

price New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Fished Wed. on Lake James and caught a limit of crappie, the biggest being close to 2 lb's. Fished Norman Friday night and caught about 10 cats. Fished in the marker 19 area, and the cats ranged from 5-15 lb's. All cats caught on cut crappie (yes, was the legal 8' or bigger). Water temp's from 68-70 and fish caught in 10-15 feet of water.

13. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    Somehow the eels manage to get past the dams. Been catching them all my life in the rivers around here (Raleigh). In the last 15-20 years the state has blasted several dams between us and the ocean and, as silly as it sounds, we used to catch more eels before the dams were removed. Anybody have any ideas as to why this would be?

14. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Went catfishing this AM on LKN and caught nine between 7:30 and 10:00 AM. Wind was out of the NW at 8 MPH+-, with gust up to 15 MPH and surface water temp. was 68 degrees. Used cut filets of white perch for bait. All cats were blues and were 3 to 12 pounds and will be fileted, except for the 12 pounded, and baked this evening. It was nice to be on the water by myself and just slow troll along without a care in the world. That's whats fishing is all about!

15. ThaBear

ThaBear New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I asked a NCWRC Biologist about this a year or so ago when a local sporting goods store at Lake Norman was advertising eels for striper fishing. Since we had the new law concerning stockings and non-native bait fish I was curious if there would be a problem using eels. His response was eels was a native species in all NC rivers at one time but none was in Norman due to the dams restricting eels going up the rivers. The eels don't spawn in freshwater but return to the ocean to spawn. Since they can't reproduce in the lakes the eels has long since died out. Interested note, they go to the Sargasso Sea to spawn.