Is Any One Using One Of .....

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by kacal, Mar 17, 2008.

1. kacal

kacal New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i was seeing if any one on here has used one of these Mac River Runners i have a #90 merc and was going to put one of them on but have not seen where any one has used this before could use some info if any one has :eek:oooh: thanks and keep them TITE .................................

2. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    If you run rivers that tend to have shallow places, rock bottom bars, and some submerged trash, I would definately get one. Its cheaper than eatin up props, and possibly the lower unit gears. The only drawback is that you will lose a lil top speed, but thats a small sacrifice. I plan on gettin one on mine when I get a lil extra change.

3. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    So whats a Mac river runner?

4. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    it is basically a plate that protects your skeg and prop from rocks etc.. http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0000976013490a.shtml

I've thought about getting one for awhile.. i'm interested to hear if any of the brothers are using them and if they are worth the money

5. duckbuster

duckbuster New Member

State:
    Ballard Co., Kentucky
    I've been interested in them for a while also. I was just afraid of the loss in mph, I guess that's why I've never purchased one.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    No thanks. You might save a prop but lose a skeg in the process of saving it.
    Props are meant to be replaced. Try replacing a skeg.

Running a Doel Fin will help you stay out of some of that stuff.
    The fin creates stern lift. Instead of it being an airfoil like an airplane wing its a water foil. Lift is going to get you out of the water further.

Seriously though, I'm not screwing around with a skeg by making it a structural support for a guard of some sort.

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    it sounds like agreat idea, I don't worry too much about speed so perhaps i'll get one.

8. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    Mark, I respect your opinion, and most of the time I'll agree with ya, but this one I'll differ from ya. The river runner is really just an extention of the skeg that extends to the back beyond the prop allowing it to kick the motor up and over objects, while trying to keep debri out of the prop rotation. I dont see how it can be any worse than having a bare skeg, in fact it may actually increase the strength of the skeg as it tapers down to the thin part towards the bottom (which is where most of the damaged skegs I've seen are broken at). I really dont forsee breaking a skeg by using one, and if it saves one prop it has payed for itself. Thats just my opinion, take it or leave it.

9. Team Hold EM Hook

Team Hold EM Hook New Member

State:
    al
    Looks like th piece of metal could bend and get up into the prop. If it it something solid it would completely break the skeg off as it is cast metal that would be more brittle. The same thing will happen w/ doel fins. If they hit something it will rip the bolt holes and some metal as the bolts are herder than the cast piece. Been there done that got half of a fin and broke metal to show for it

10. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    I hear what your sayin man. I dont buy anything on opinions without mauling it over for a while, and doing alot of research, and reading user reviews. They arent new to the market, been around for a few years. Out of all the reviews I've read, the biggest complaints is the 3 to 4 mph loss of top speed, and a few complaints of light torque steer (which was probably already present but magnified by the product, and can be adjusted out with the torque tab). Absolutely no reports of skeg breakage, or structural failure of the river runner from what I've read. That being said, I'll let it go at that. Later.

11. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I run shallow rivers all the time and have a 75hp Merc 4 stroke. I have a stingray hydrofoil and it provides so much lift that the hydrofoil is actually on top of the water when I run, lifting the back of a 900lb bare weight hull and all the gear and people and a 400lb engine almost completely out of the water. If you drill the holes into the skeg I can GUARANTEE you that it will make it weaker and if you hit your skeg you really increase the chance of breaking it off. Last time I checked the lower gear housing is over 2K for my engine. I have jumped over floating trees with my boat while running down the river and there isn't even a ding in my skeg or the prop. The only way I would maybe put one of those river runners on an engine is if it was a small low horsepower boat that didn't have the power to get the hull out of the water. Knowing the areas you fish would be the biggest thing, if you know its very shallow up ahead of you, slow down, trim up and take it easy through the area. MarkJ is right, a good hydrofoil would be a better option.