Is an Abu Ambassadeur BigGame 7000 worth it for $99?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by fishinnstudyin, Dec 1, 2006.

1. fishinnstudyin

fishinnstudyin New Member

State:
    MO
    Originally $139, I saw Abu 7000 BG on sale for $99, the model with 17 lbs / 325... Then I also noticed the left-handed model for $89. Is there any way of switching the left handed model into a right handed model??

Lately I've been saving my money in hopes of buying a great quality reel so I wonder what your output is on this.. Oh, there are only two reels left and the website is very popular so it might be gone any minute..

I recently bough a Abu 5500 C3 spooled with 80 lb braided wire, but im wondering, if i get a 50+ lb catfish, would it destroy my reel or would my reel have a chance of surviving??

Thanks

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    The 5500 will hold up, but I would not have put that heavy of line on it, would have gone with 65 or 50 lb braid, more line on the reel. The left hand reel cannot be converted to right hand. I've only seen that on spinning reels, which I use left handed style. Some right handers actually prefer a left handed baitcasters. I've a friend who guides saltwater bay fishing and he swears that is the way to go.

$99 is a good price. Don't know if there are any Academy stores in your area, but that's the price there for the 7000c3, right or left hand retrieve.

3. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree with what Jerry said. Your 5500 will do just fine on a big cat. All you have to worry about is if they run you will not have much line on your reel using that heavy a line. $90-100 is about the going rate for a new BG7000.

4. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Those little ABU reels are tough and can handle some big cats... I caught a flathead close to 70# on a little 5600 c4 spooled with 80 Suffix.

The newer braided lines are pretty thin so can still put a lot of line on smaller reels.
    ~A

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I have bought two BG7000HS off e-bay for less than $65.00 each. If you watch the bids and spend some time, you can find the good buys.

Oh, they were new also.

6. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    Supposely there are pinon gear problems with the big game 7000 series made in Taiwan with the 5.3:1 gear ratio. The 7000 C3 reels have no issues.

7. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    You can buy brand-new 7000 C3 reels on eBay for $89. They come from a store here in the KC area; I bought several at that price direct from them. And I'm really happy with those reels.

8. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Where at Marty ? Was it Rodgers or someplace else?

9. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I like my 7000's but can be a bit big at times. I prefer the 6500's enough reel for me and even have a couple of 6000's that I use. It comes down to preference for me.

10. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Yep that's the place. They were something like $94 in the store but I asked for the same price as eBay and they gave it without arguing. They had what looked like dozens and dozens of them, but that was a couple of months ago.

11. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    That 5500 will handle any cat out there, the 6000 and 6500 are good reel to,

12. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    their is a 9000i big game bnib going off in 5 hours or so ebay for 99.99 w9.99 s&h great deal bass pro wants 149.99 for the same reel

13. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i have three of these i purchased at walmart 2 were 99 the other was 89 iv never had a problem and given the chance to afford more will purchase them too .
    all abu's wether assembled in foreign lands or not are inspected in switserland before passed on to the stores .
    i like abu's but cant agrue bout penns they are good real aswell

14. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    IMHO you can't go wrong with the 7000's my favorite reel for sure. But I do think if you shop around a lil more that you will be able to find a better price.

Wheelmobile07

15. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I have 3 abu big game 7000 and they are my favorite also. I like the power, the smoothness, and the castability of them. If you can find the deals on them, I say go for it.

16. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have several 7000C3 reels and have never had a problem with them. They will do the job and do it easy.People sometime get concerned if their reel is stong enough to land the fish. The rod is the important part of landing the fish. The reel takes up the line and stores it. The drag plays an important role in fighting the fish. Most quality reels has these qualities. It becomes a matter of cost and preference. You normally get what you pay for.Good luck in your research and choosing.

17. TerryStucker

TerryStucker New Member

State:
    In.
    I bought the 7000 at bass pro for 139.00.
    Sounds like a deal to me.

18. TerryStucker

TerryStucker New Member

State:
    In.
    Seem's BassPro never has the best price on anything.
    I never get a good deal there.
    Maybe its just my luck.