Is a slip float for shallow waters

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Dadoftwo, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I have heard a lot about using a slip float for catfishing but have never tried it. Are they mainly for shallow water or shallow depth? Can they be used deep and if so how does the ties not interrupt the line guides?

2. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I'll be intested in the responses you get on this question for sure. It seems to me that in shallow water (which to me is 3-4 foot) I don't think it matters as the fish will come to the spot if there in the area. My opinion like I said I am anxiously awaiting the more experienced members responses.

3. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    It can be fished at 20+ feet.just cut the tag ends of the slipknot as close as possible and there shouldn't be a probem with the line guides.hope this helps

4. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Slip bobbers are great for suspending baits over deep water. Here deep water can be 50 feet to around 100 feet. They can also be used to float a bait into a spot or hold the bait just above a snaggy bottom. I am always experimenting with different rigs and ways to use them, some work some don't. Who knows you might discover the hottest new rig for 2008.

5. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    What depth water do you fish for bluegill? Crappie?

Catfish is the same... only bigger. What happens in 4 feet of water wath a weedy bottom? Your bait hides. What if you are in 50 feet of water and there are treetops at 30 feet, or 20 feet beneath the surface? What if there is a snaggy rocky bottom where you get a lot of bites, but can't get em in?

I am a newbie when it comes to fishing them but I do know they are very adaptable. As far as the guides catching the bobber stop, a thinner material, a better trimmed tag, all wiil help in that department. The biggest thing to remember is the bead. I had a similar issue this spring and found that my bobber was slipping over the tag. So, a bead between the tag and the bobber ends that problem an the tag goes into the reel if you need.

At the other end is the sinker. You need enough weight to keep the bobber snug against the knot even in the current (River). Ther are 2 methods I use to tie my weights. If I want to suspend over snags I go Bobber stop, bead, Bobber, sinker (3-4 oz), barrel swivel, Leader, Hook.

If I want to anchor a lively bait in one place, like in a river above a log jam, I use bobberstop, bead, bobber, barrel swivel, 2 leaders one heavy (50lb mono), one light (15lb Mono) I make the light line about 1 foot or foot and a half longer than the 50lb leader although you can adjust for conditions.

On the heavy leader I tie the hook. On the lighter line I attach a 6-8oz sinker. Being the longer line, the sinker will hold the bait (anchor) in one spot so you can fish multiple bobbers at one time. If you adjust your bobberstop properly ( a little extra length) you will anchor the bait, yet allow the bait to swim in a 1-2 foot circle without hiding. When they can't hide, your percentages skyrocket because it is easier for the predator to win, and the bait, knowing this, struggles harder to reach the safety... just out of reach, held out of the structure AKA snag... by a bobber, bobberstop, and a sinker.

Good luck and good learning.

Shawn (Ohio)

6. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    I use slip bobbers in waters over 10 foot havent got a set way to do it still, still learning myself. thanks loanwizard.

7. akwolf41

akwolf41 Master Instigator of the BOC!

State:
    Kenai, Ala
    Barry:

Loanwizard has gave you all the info you need. He is right on the money,
    The bobberstop knot with tag ends trimmed will never interfer with the eyes or the reel. If fishing with real light line sometimes they will catch on a spinning reel but normally with 20# line or heavier, no problem. If you need to see how to tie a bobberstop knot or how to rig up a Slip float or bobber go to http://www.wildwolfproducts.com/katbob.htm and there is graphics there showing you how. Slip float fishing is a Great way to put the bait where the fish are. For years we were told all Catfish were bottom feeders. Boy was that wrong. Probably 70% of catfish are caught in the upper part of the water depth.

Good luck and catch a Biggun;

Gene

8. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    A stationary float would work better in 3-4' of water although the slip bobber is effective in any depth.

9. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I've fished 20+ feet down using a slip float with no problems with the stopper knot hanging the guides.

10. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The info given is right on the money, I have used it in 15+ feet in ponds, lakes and rivers. When bank fishing at night I like leaving slack in my line until the line moves. I have found that when setting the hook, you need to feel the fish on the line otherwise you will only be pulling in slack. If your fishing at any distance the line is out say 40 yards and line is down 20 feet, just reel until you can feel the fish, by taking out the slack in the line, then set the hook. Have fun and be safe.

11. Deuce

Deuce New Member

State:
    ohio
    When fishing live baits under a slip float a bobber straw on top of the float is a must. It keeps the line from the top of the float (top of float to reel) far enough out of the water keeping your live bait from tangling up your line. do a search for bobber straws and it will prolly explain better than I can LOL

12. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Thanks for all of the posts. I will give it a try and see what happens this weekend.