Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I personally prefer a kayak for the kind of fishing that I enjoy most — accessing eddies and pools on remote rivers and using a spinning reel to catch grayling, char, trout, etc.
I’m a skilled canoeist but I find a canoe (fishing canoe for family) to be unwieldy and more apt to drift in the face of any unexpected winds or currents. With a kayak, I can get into tight spots and either sit anchored or quietly drift. I tie my tackle box in front of me and have my essential gear close at hand. My paddle is always close at hand and, ideally, tethered.
There are some tradeoffs. I don’t have a fishing kayak so standing up and/or carrying a lot of gear is not an option. Landing a fish can be tricky, too. A large fish can pull your kayak around and break your line as you fumble with a rod and a paddle.
Still, given the choice, I still would prefer a kayak for an hour or 2 of fishing.
AND
Is a canoe or kayak better for fishing?

· Premium Member
12,408 Posts
Welcome to the USCA forum Harley. I have used a canoe several times in my life and they can be enjoyable but I think, even though I do not have experience with a kayak that I would much prefer the kayak. If course there are kayaks and then there are kayaks. W wide variety of choices to be considered and I think I would want a true fishing kayak. IF I could afford the price. They are not the cheapest item to purchase.

I enjoy watching Kayak Catfish on Youtube and Justin uses good fishing kayaks. One think Justin has said several time is that there are a lot of very good kayaks available used. A few months after Christmas there will be another group of them that hit the used market so be on the lookout for them.

My problem is I became aware of them a little too late in life. At 70 and with a touch of COPD, I find a 20 foot aluminum boat much more practical for me.

Again welcome and I hope the Kayak users on the site jump in and discuss the pros and cons in detail.

tight lines

· Registered
48 Posts
I will be kayaking a lot next year for catfish, and have a decent amount of time on the water fishing from them. I have fished from a canoe, but honestly not enough to give a ton of insight from a canoe.

Regardless, the room in a canoe is nice. Although, I prefer kayak. Mobility, and control is way easier in the kayak from my experience. But, it there are so many factors at play in this too. What kind of waters will you be fishing? Plus every kayak is different, so much so, that every kayak I have been in has always been a different experience in it's own.

I do believe there is a reason kayaks have really taken off for fishing purposes, and that is versatility. They can go in almost any water, plus weight and ease of access. I would recommend kayak, just because of all the options and how easy it is to get them in the water.

· Registered
9,842 Posts
For me personally since my Canoe was set up differently it is definitely better for taking the family. My kayak was much easier to load/download alone. Maneuvering was easy for me with the canoe due to the pontoons and the 40lb thrust trolling motor. I also have a 7hp gas motor for it, but I dont use it. I'd say for the average die hard a Kayak is just better and easier to work with.
Vehicle Boat Watercraft Maritime museum Ship
Water transportation Vehicle Boat Kayak Watercraft
Vehicle Boat Tourist attraction Watercraft Machine
Boat Vehicle Kayak Watercraft Maritime museum
Vehicle River Tree Recreation Landscape
Vehicle Kayak Boat Watercraft Canoe
Fishing Angling Recreational fishing Outdoor recreation Fisherman
Waterway Fishing Casting (fishing) Angling Recreation
Machine Core drill Vehicle Tool Drill

· Premium Member
6,803 Posts
Like Tom I have some issues that would prohibit me from fishing from either, age in general and author living in my knees but having said that I bought my wife a kayak for her birthday this past Oct. and I could see where fishing from it would be a ton of fun. Years ago, pre AARP age I squirrel hunted from a canoe, I found it to be a stable enough platform to shoot the .410 from but dismounting to retrieve the squirrel and then remounting always made me feel like there was a good chance I was about to get wet.

· Registered
9,842 Posts
No problem bro. I look forward to fishing with our USCA brothers. I have met and fished with some of the most awesome guys on this site. All are lifetime friends and I've learned lots from them. Would love to fish with you bro.
Ramon, if you find yourself stationed at Ft. Knox after your current tour I am going to hunt you down and pester you until you take me fishing, it is obvious fishing is a passion for you and most folks are really good at things they are passionate about, I think I could learn a lot.

· Registered
Bob from Texas
304 Posts
I frequently use my Old Town Sportmaster 15' canoe with Suzuki DF2.5 for cat/bass fishing on Lake Livingston. This canoe is sufficiently comfortable to fish (up to 4 persons), whereas the combo with the small outboard motor allows me to reach the spots of interest quickly and saves me a lot of money on gas.

P.S. If to be careful, two person fishing on open water is safe with winds up to 10-12 mph.

· Registered
596 Posts
I have caught a lot of catfish from a kayak. I have two.... both fishing types. It is my preferred mode in the summer when the water is warm. My profile photo is a flathead caught from a kayak. My PB kayak catfish is this 35# blue. I've fished very little from a canoe. Doesn't make much sense for a lone paddler, might be better for two people.

Vehicle Water transportation Kayak Boating Boat

· Registered
662 Posts
I need one for the river to fish and check a trot line so either will need outriggers or be very wide itself because I would be bending over and pulling up. I can't get a boat in because neighbor doesn't want me to cut any small trees. (The beavers don't ask permission) Always boated before, what would be a good one not too expensive, if there is such a thing?

· Registered
16 Posts
Water transportation Water Boat Vehicle River
Waterway River Vehicle Boat Kayak
Body of water Water Natural landscape Nature Reflection
I started canoeing in 85’ and love to paddle/fish small rivers, bought a Kayak 5 years ago and have been in my canoe 1 time since. Personally the Kayak easily wins. I wanted to fish with my cousin this spring so we took the canoe to a local lake, forgot how tippy they are with two people, center of gravity is so much higher than a sit-in Kayak. I absolutely love the Kayak, wish I’d bought one many years earlier, so much easier than a canoe in skinny water. I’ve had mine in everything from a 4’ wide crick to the Illinois river

1 - 20 of 33 Posts