Is a Bream a Bream?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by SCcatman, Jul 20, 2009.

1. SCcatman

SCcatman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I was curious about this and wondered what the BOC thinks. May be a silly question but anyway.

Do you guys think bream caught from a farm pond are just as good for cut bait as bream caught in the river/lake your catfishing??

Is there a difference? a few old timers told me there was but I think its just a wives tale, or is it?

2. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    One from a river will be significantly stronger since it had to live its entire life fighting current. Of course there are specific situations where certain bodies of water that are technically lakes will have current, but in general river fish will be stronger.

3. SCcatman

SCcatman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    When you say stronger are you referring to the way they fight or smell?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  4. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Fight. As far as smell and the biology of the fish they are going to be the same. I guess if you are in a really polluted body of water they will smell different.

5. SCcatman

SCcatman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I may not have explained my question good enough, sorry

I meant for cut bait, would a POND bream catch catfish just as good as a RIVER bream. Was told the RIVER bream will bring a better bite because they are "native" to the river the catfish live in, i take that as they have a stronger odor or something or its just a old myth

6. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    i dont beleive there is a difference a bluegill is a bluegill

7. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    As far as cut bait I would not buy that there is any difference. I guess it is possible that if a fish had to fight harder it would be stronger and have more oils, but I would not think it would be enough to make a difference.

8. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    test your theory's. bait up one of each on your poles and see. i dont think theyll be a difference, but thats my theory i could be wrong.

9. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Couldn,t see there being ant difference if your using them as cut.I,d catch them wherever it,s easier and faster,more time to fish.

10. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I dont think there would be a significant difference in catch rate.I mean I dont see a big ole hungry flathead sniffing over your bream and saying to its self " crap cant eat that bream its from a farm pond 20 miles from here and I dont know if itas safe or not".:smile2::big_smile:However I DO believe that each body of water would have its own chemical composition, taste and smell and that catfish could tell the differnce.Be sorta like a steak from Texas and one from Japan!:smile2::eek:oooh:Diffrent taste for sure ,would it make any diff to me if I was craving steak No way!Fish assimilate the scent of the water they are in.:big_smile:

11. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    absolutly not,now this is true to an extent, say your in a river and the food sorce is shad or skipjack, well bluegill aint going to produce as much, or vice versa, also, if your in very hot water, taking one fish from a dastic temp will kill it, so that has a big effect but as far as how you said it, id say no,but to be 100 percent correct, it would have to be studied by biolagest, no way to realy tell, but,look at the species, if one lake has a differant breed it might have a slight inpact, i like green sunfish for this reoson, they live longer and are found everywere,also there more livly and that draws flats to them,if your waiting on them to come to you,but if you can its better for you to hunt the flathead, not let the flathead hunt your bait since they are more of an ambush fish unlike blues o channels

12. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    sounds kind of silly to me,sounds like somebody might be telling you a story.the only difference is the neighborhood where they hang out.

13. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yes its no concern,unless your getting them from hot powerlat lakes into colder water, they die, thats it

14. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    I believe a bream is a bream. When I was a kid my dad would take us down some backroads and we would catch bream out of road ditches for trotline bait. I have done the same except I used them as cut bait. Didn't seem to make a difference.

15. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i think hes right fish from different water will have a different taste and smell. do i believe that bait from the same water will catch more fish yes i do. will you not catch fish because you used bait from different water no i do it all the time.

16. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

Bream or sunfish from ponds are way weaker than river bream. The river bream have to fight current all their lives. In my experience, pond bream are harder to keep alive in aerated baitbuckets.

17. cavereric

cavereric New Member

State:
    Austin,Texas
    Ya I wouldn't think it makes a bit of difference just make sure you use a red hook. :0a28:
    I say we get a gov't grant and do a study on this.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009