Is a 8' foot rod long enough?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by CJ21, May 16, 2007.

1. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I am wondering is a 8' foot rod long enough for shore fishing for cats? I am planning on getting a couple of 8' foot long Ugly Stick Catfish Rods.

2. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i use only 7' and 8' rods. I can cast out to about 90yrds with both with 3-4oz weights. I would like to try some longer rods but they would not work for some of the brushy areas i have to fish from.

3. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Hey cj i cast from shore with a 7 1/2 foot rod and three oz. regularly and acheive 70-80 yds respectfuly with my penn 209 and 65# PP and keep bait on the hook
    i might add .

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thanks guys for the help.

5. emptyhook

emptyhook New Member

State:
    north carolina
    cj, just wanted to let you know, you have my boss`name and he wants it back.
    just kidding about him wanting it back. i have 2 9ft rods that work well from
    bank or boat . but i recently learned a valuable lesson about graphite rods!
    they conduct electricity!!? didn`t know that till last saturday at the lake, carried
    my two 9ft winner extra heavy graphite rods out on the lake in a soon to be thunderstorm . naturaly i had them stuck up like arials in the rod holders.
    well we stopped the boat near the road bridge, dropped anchor and prepared
    to fish. about the time i reached for my rod lightning flashed in the distance and
    sent a nice jolt through me, my buddy said whoa, do that again. so i reached out
    for the rod again and got the same jolt again. to make along story short, i fished the evening w/my buddy`s gear.

6. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    emptyhook, This is a well know fact about them. They have labels that should state this pasted on them! As all of my Carp rods and spinning rods are graphite, I am very aware of the dangers. You are LUCKY that you received a jolt ONLY!! The composite rods are less conductive, but when it is Lighting, or is about to, the rods come out of the water! This is my opinion, but the Joy of Fishing does not outweigh the DANGER of Lighting when using a Graphite rod.

HOPPY4

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've got a couple of 14' "river rods" custom built to bank fish & snag on the Arkansas River below the dams, where casts of over 100 yards are necessary. If I'm not in such a situation, the rods stay at home collecting dust. They're just too long & cumbersome to try to use where they aren't necessary to reach the fish.

8. Rhinospawn

Rhinospawn New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    8' are perfect for river and boat.. get a couple and you killed 2 birds with 1 stone..

get a biggin..

9. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i have a couple rods in the range from 7ft to 10ft but for me i thank the 9 foot works the best. the 7ft just seems a bit short for me and i don't like the way they feel when i set the hook. the 10 is ok but it kind of like holding a fence post..lol so for some reason i stick with my 9 foot rods they just feel right i guess you could say. i do have a rod that is like 8 and a half..i use it more then any of them but then again it is a custom rod.

10. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    On the boat I like a 6'6" on the bank I like 10'-14' I have a few of each size but the 10' rods are alot easier to tote around. the 12' are not to bad either. all my boat rods are 1 peice and all my surf rods are 2 peice.

:0a26: :0a22: :0a23:

11. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    The 8 foot is a good rod, but 9 foot is more versatile from the shore.

12. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I dont think Shakespeare makes a Ugly Stick 9' rod catfish rod.

13. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    CJ I just bought a new 8' 2 piece ugly stick, white, Catfish rod from Bass Pro Shop, (They had sent me a $10 off coupon), & I really like it. I just moved up tackle wise for larger fish....I thought I had a small one, in the dark, but when I got it up to the bank, it was over two foot long and 5 lb. I didn't even get the net, just choked up the rod a little an flipped em up the bank.....he was a great Sunday dinner for two. I'm flat sold on them Ugly Sticks. I don't think they make a 9' Catfish; but do in their Big Water series of rods.
    :smile2:

14. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I aint sure if I am sold on the ugly sticks yet. been looking at the 7' Bass Pro Shops Med Action CatMaxx Rods. Seem like they are good rods and they are E-Glass.

15. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I got 8ft for the boat, 10ft for the bank, and 14ft for snagging and baitfishing off the dam were I need distance. All are one piece rods. I've seen too many two piece break on big fish and even some smaller ones. Seems to work for me.

16. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I have 1, 7' fenwick seahawk offshore and 9, 8'-8'3'' All can get a 4'' bluegill out there with a slipfloat rig about 120' or better most of the time, Its according to where you fish, May you pick the one that fills good in your hand and you will have the one. Good Luck.

17. rocket256

rocket256 Well-Known Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Name:
    McGill
    Im the same but some time I find myself slinging my bait off.:sad2: It ends up going about 85yds.:lol: But disappointing.:crazy:

18. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    I'm a big fan of the long rods.....I have an 8' Ugly Stik spinning rod, a 11' cabela's predator spinning rod....I also have an 8' Blackhorse custom casting rod on the way soon.....Dwight

19. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca