Is a 6000 enough?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by catman73, Jun 21, 2007.

1. catman73

catman73 New Member

State:
    Lawrence Kansas
    I am wondering, is an Abu 6000 enough reel for a, Ugly Stik MH 7' rod?? I already have the rod and have a chance to get a 6000 at a really good price. Is it enough reel for the rod??

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    It sure is... I have a few on 16' poles and they handle that. Just keep the pawl and worm gear lubed as you should on any bait caster. They will last a lifetime and pull in just about anything you catch...make take you a while but other than a reel designed to handle the big salt water fish anything would. The 6000 is a great reel.

3. Bluerider

Bluerider New Member

State:
    Bethalto, IL
    My fishing partner uses 6000's on his heavy action Surge rods with 60# Power Pro and has no problems bringing anything he hooks into to the boat.
    If the price is right, I wouldnt hesitate.

4. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have several 6000s and they work great for me aswell, I use them for flathead fishing most of the time! When fishing for blues I use the abu garcia 9000s, just for the fact they hold more line and are easier to reel in, in the fast current! But the ole 6000 is a great reel and will work just fine for the rod you have!

5. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The 6000 is a well tested great reel. I have a couple of them.

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Sure the 6000 will work! I have one it has been a good reel to me.

7. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Unless you need a reel to hold 250 or 300 yards of line, it will work great. I pull in the same size fish with my 6000s as I do my 7000s.

8. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    The only place it might let you down is on a big fish in fast water, such as below Bowersock recently or out on the Missouri River. It just might not have enough drag to turn a big blue. I have one I use all of the time with the exception of heavy current situations, and it's landed fish up into the 40's without being challenged.

9. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    that's my cat rig right there, a 7' mh ugly cat rod and a 6000. has handled everything so far with no problems.

10. Master_Taxidermist

Master_Taxidermist New Member

State:
    OK
    We have about (30) 6000's and 6500's. They are Great Reels, rarely break down, and they are very easy to work on. They will handle any fish armed with the right line and drag adjustment.

11. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    The tried and true 6000 is plenty of reel for all but the toughest fishing conditions , i have a 6000c that is a dream to use , but i have been posting lately about another reel that i have found to be a gem also , the penn 9 small , compact , and has the guts of the 209 with out the capacity or weight this is truly an amaziing little reel , not to be taken lightly i am confident it will out fish most reels in it.s class . If its within your means check ebay pick one up i bought mine for $15 to my door .

12. SDHogs

SDHogs New Member

State:
    SE tip of South Dakota
    I have a question while we are on this topic. Will 30lb Mono line work well on the 6000? Should I go down to the 25lb mono if I am going to get one? Step up to a 6500?

13. r_p_narramore

r_p_narramore New Member

State:
    East KY
    I have used #30 with no problems. That's about the biggest I would use on a 6000. I think the 6500 is the same size, the 7000 is the next step up in size.

14. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have 40# mono on all my reels...but I ain't trying to cast the length of a football field either.LOL The heavier the line the less you will get on the spool.

15. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Darrin,
    I've used the same set-up you just mentioned for about four years without any problems. The 6000 is a great reel in my opinion.

16. STUMPKNOCKER

STUMPKNOCKER New Member

State:
    Georgia
    [​IMG]fi

17. STUMPKNOCKER

STUMPKNOCKER New Member

State:
    Georgia
    the fish in my avatar was Caught with 6000, all the reel wanted though had the drag all the way tight and he still took out line, good thing though cause if id had a bigger reel he might have broke my line, or pulled me in:big_smile:, but i prefer my 6000 to all of my other reels, and it casts well ,where my penns backlash to bad to even try to cast

18. Bigbluefisherman

State:
    Missouri
    Well...I have about a half dozen 6000s that the level wind has screwed up in them...that is the only problem i have had with them! What cause that...I always lubricate them!

19. Bigbluefisherman

State:
    Missouri
    All bait casting reels will backlash, you just need to know how to set them up. there is a tension knob on the side of all bait casting reels that adjusts the tension on the line while casting!