Is a 3.5hp enough motor for a 14ft aluminum v-hull?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by daniel-delarosa, Feb 21, 2009.

1. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    I came across a Mercury 3.5hp 4-stroke cheap,but Im not sure if it will be enough motor for my boat. Right now Im using a 55lb thrust trolling motor. How will a 3.5 compare?

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    It will push it, just don't plan on doing any water skiing or tubing. Matter of fact, it won't even get it on a plane. But, It should get you from point a to point b faster than the trolling motor.

3. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    I used a 3.5 for several years. It was great for juging but when the river is up and rushing you have to pick your route or the current will just sweep you away.

4. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    One HP is 750 watts.

If a trolling motor consumes 20 Amps at 24V DC to generate 50 lbs of thrust it consumes 480 watts in the process (Amps x Volts = Watts).

So it would be approximately 0.64 HP.

A (1) Horse Power TM is equal to 58/60 pounds thrust TM at max RPM.

As the batteries drain, so does power....

5. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    No, I'd go for at least an 8hp 10 would be better. I used my dad's old boat that had a 5hp and it would barely push a 12 ft v hull. The problem comes when the weather turns sour and you need to get off the water fast.

6. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama

Whatever you say Catfish Einstein, my brain can't handle that kind of math right now....lol :smile2:

7. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    I assume you're talking about a gas engine since you said outboard, not an electric trolling motor.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Since you've been doing OK with the TM, I have to assume that you're never going out into swift water on a river, or into any other such situation, so I would say, YES, the small outboard would be better than the TM. I would guess that the outboard would give you around twice the thrust of your TM, and you wouldn't have to worry about draining the battery. But it's still gonna be s l o w. Unless the outboard's really cheap, and it's a budget consideration, in the long run, I thing you'd be much happier with an outboard large enough to get your boat up on plane. A 10hp will probably do the job, but again, in the long run, I think you'd be happier with at least 15hp.

9. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Daniel
    I've got a 6hp on a 14' starcraft alumn and I love the outfit, but I only fish lakes and a little bit into the river flowing into the lakes. When the wind blows I'm off the lake or headed off. Now I find that I have been adding quite a bit of stuff to the boat and it is somewhat heavier and deeper in the water than it once was. you will have to watch this. I also fish in this my smaller boat mostly alone, or with my 10 yr. old Grandson. Your situation is not the best.
    Luck
    Odtimr

10. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I had a 15hp on a 12' Lowe's flat bottom and it did a really good job it would get up on plane with two of us in the boat tackle, anchor, trolling motor, battery, and fuel tank. And we ain't the littlest in town. if you are just going where your TM used to take you it should not be a problem

11. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    The gas motor will push your boat better than the trolling motor. As long as you aren't looking to win any races, and aren't expecting the boat to plane out, you will be fine with the little gas motor. You wont have to worry about the batteries with the gas motor either. If your hopes aren't too high for that motor, and the price is real good, i would buy it (providing its in good shape).

12. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Just imho, I wouldn't go with something smaller than a 9.9. Yet, if you are going to get a 3.5 4-stroke, might as well get the Briggs and Stratton 5hp 4-stroke, pretty good for the price and more power. Still don't expect to get on plane with the 5horse, and there's only so fast you can go without getting on a plane. A 9.9 will be a substantial increase in power, and will get you on plane--maybe even with another person. Finally, you'll usually end up wanting something a little bigger as time goes on. :wink:

13. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    I passed on the 3.5, I found a 2000 model 5hp Mercury 2stroke for the same money. It runs really good. Cant wait to get it on the water this weekend. Im not worried about speed or getting on a plane. This is just my "alone" boat. If I take anyone with me I take the 'toon.