Is a 10 gauge heavy enough to bring ...............

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by postbeetle, Apr 18, 2009.

1. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Is a 10 gauge heavy enough to bring these down?

Nancy went to an animal swap meet at the Fairgrounds this AM. Not a large one, but about everything you could want, esp if you are crazy. Goats, dogs, puppies, chickens, banties, pigeons, donkeys, geese, turkeys, rabbits, alpacas and on and on.

She called and wanted to know if we could use some Button Quail (Chinese Painted Quail). Sure I said, why not, my life is crazy enough now why not add to it. So into town I went with a cage and some money I took out from under the bed and we are now the proud owners of 10 Button Quail.

So here's what I need from this informative forum, comprised of all sorts of dubious characters. Anybody out there have any experience with these critters? They are about the size of a good meal as a cat appetizer. They are spookier than a horse with a firecracker underfoot and they are cute. Other than that they are totally useless, just something to chore every morning. Richard or Pits, or anybody else out there can tell me something I should need to know

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Seems to me that ya just gotta make sure the oven works and ya got plenty of butter. :wink:

3. flysure1

flysure1 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Kinda made me think of a partridge (minus the pear tree) cute little buggers, and I think a 10 gauge loaded with #8 oughta get all of them with one shot! (just kidding)

4. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    They anything like "San Quentin" quail??:confused2:

5. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Everything you should know about useless quail, I mean button quail...

http://www.cyberquail.com/

seems to me they are like a pigeon that some people keep as pets & get way too attached to ....see the memory part at the bottom of the page, bet he would have tasted pretty good after feeding him all those years lol :smile2::smile2: you should have traded something other than cash

6. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    eatem before they get tough

7. revbigpapa

revbigpapa New Member

State:
    florida
    Very tasty but unlike regular quail they are all dark meat even the breast.The eggs are good boiled they have a stronger taste than bobwhite eggs, and if you put a light in their pen they will lay 2 eggs a day if their diet is right. But you must suplement their diet with crushed oyster shell or some other calcium supplement.

8. BIGCATFISHDAN

BIGCATFISHDAN New Member

State:
    texas
    YOU COULD TAKE DOWN A TARADACTLE WITHA 10 GA

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    John,I've never raised any ,YET. But i have been thinkin about either the big TX A&M breed of quail,Theyre snow white and a little larger than a bobwhite. the other option is chucker partridge. I hear the button quail are egg laying machines. Make up a bunch of pickled eggs ,YUMMY You can shell the eggs after boiled by placing them in a big bowl of fresh white vinager,(eats the shell off) Might be interested in buying some setting eggs from ya later if they get to doing good. they sell for around 25.00 a dozen from the hatcheries.

10. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Had the guy sell me 3 cocks and 7 hens. Had them home and penned less than 3 hours and had two eggs. The size really amazed me for the size if the hen. The eggs are large and green. Kinda purty. They keep this up and I'll sen ya all the eggs you want for price of postage.

John.

11. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
  12. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Postmortem, never seen a quail of any kind that didn't fry up well but the 10 guage may be a little overkill :wink::smile2:.

13. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Pickled quail eggs are pretty good. Great with beer. With 7 hens and 2 eggs per hen per day you will be overrun with little quail pretty soon. Hope ya like eggs. These oughta be pretty good with sausage or bacon too.