is 9mm enough

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by scooter079, Jun 30, 2008.

1. scooter079

scooter079 New Member

State:
    ohio
    honestly i know everyone likes there big guns i do to but im trying to be practical and copact so is 9mm enough for pesonal defence with som cor bons and hydroshocks please be brutely hosest

2. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Personally I would say a larger caliber like .40 or .45 would be better. The one thing about 9mm is more capacity. At close range it should be fine. Hydroshok is a plus in any caliber.

3. scooter079

scooter079 New Member

State:
    ohio
    well i was gonna get a glock 23 .40 but now i am becoming more concerned with concealing so i was thinking the 26 im stuck i dont know what to get and i dont wanna regret either

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Wish I could help ya out,Scott,I dont own but two handguns an theyre both 22s I really dont have a need for one around here,Shotgun for the house and 22 in my truck.I have been thinkin on a bigger caliber myself,but I'm a revolver man myself

5. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I have a buddy with that exact same gun in Utah. He carries it to school, legal there. One thing is the type of holster. His is a soft nylon material, sorry I dont know what the brand is.

6. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    its what a lot of cops carry. it is also what most of our troops carry. it will do in a pinch till you can find an exit or the LEO'S get there. my advice is go to a good gun shop and strap up with what you want to carry. a good shop will let you try different holsters and different side arms. get what is comfortable. set stand sqaut bend move around and see if it digs into you anywhere. i carried big when i first got my permit. it wasn't long till i started looking for comfort.

7. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    I've got a Kahr CW9, was surprised at how well it shot and handled for such a light gun ( 15oz.). I've got a .45 pistol and a .357 mag revolver, but I end up tote'n the CW9 because it hides so well and weighs so little.

8. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    I have always carried "Old Slabsides" since being introduced to it in the service. It was always uncomfortable, heavy and hard to hide. On the other end of the muzzle, there is no other weapon I want to have in my hand when the bullet absolutely MUST do it's job.

As I grew older, the old favorite did get a facelift... I changed brands from "Singer" to "Charles Daly" stainless. Easier to care for and a bit shorter and lighter.

In the end, I don't want to be too comfortable with a not too heavy easily concealed weapon. I like to be completely aware of the massive death-dealing power in the weapon that I have within my reach.

I can hit a beercan as far away as I can see it with the familiar old .45. It is my choice of weapon in short range. It's what I like!

9. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    well shot placement is the most important cause it dosent matter what you use if you cant hit your target.As far as the 9mm i wouldnt go any lower caliber then that.I recommend the cor-bon 115 grain bullet but you just have to try a few to see what shoots the best in yours.I tell everyone the best pistol to have is the one thats in your hand when the shooting starts,anything is better then throwing a rocks.
    Its been debated a long time about the 9mm being a good or bad manstopper but i think its good enough if you have good shot placement so practice practice practice.

10. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    I like the big bores but in hot weather carrying concealed is a challenge. For a daily carry I find a Kel-Tec .380 is hard to beat, Fits in the front or rear jeans pocket. Don't leave home with out it.
    I do keep a .40 handy though.
    12 ga. full of 00 buck for home defense.

11. duckriverdave

duckriverdave New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I carry the Glock 23 with Crimson Trace lazer grips on it. The lazer is nice and can be kind of intimidating to home invaders. My wife can shoot it pretty well also.

My older daughter carries a Glock 19. She is very accurate, which is imporant in defending yourself with 9mm.

drd

12. Guns & Cockpits

Guns & Cockpits New Member

State:
    California
    Shot placement is key regardless of what weapon you carry. I don't feel undergunned with a 9mm if I know that I can shoot it well and rely on it.

One thing about carrying a 9mm is that if you're living in a state that allows regular capacity magazines, you can often carry three and four more rounds in a mag than other calibers. This does you no good at all if you live in a state like CA, where 10 round mags are the legal limit, however.

13. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    There's more things to consider than caliber. The most important thing to consider in gunfighting is to have a gun with you when it starts. If it's not easily concealed and uncomfortable to carry, you're apt to not have it on you when you need it. A small gun is not as easy to shoot well, so you'll have to practice with it more to be proficient enough to use it to defend yourself, so, you might want to consider cost of practice ammunition too.

As far as caliber, any of the standard "fighting" calibers are fine (9mm, 40S&W, 45ACP). They can all be had in very small packages. It's what you're confortable shooting in that small of a gun. It's not what you hit them with, it's WERE you hit them that makes the difference. The thing to remember is that a handgun is a very ineffective weapon for self defense. According to actual emergency room statistics, you stand a 65% chance of surviving a handgun wound. So, it's simply a matter of "convenience" to have the handgun on you, but a rifle or shotgun would be ideal, just not practical.

Like others on here, I'm a 1911 man and love the 45ACP. I've got a small compact 1911 that's about the same size as the Glock 26. It doesn't hold as many rounds, but it shoots just as good as my full size one I carry on duty and I'm proficient from all the years of practice with it.

I see alot of guns I'd like to have but with all the years of practice and training with my ole "45s", they're just second nature to me.

Don't get too caught up in the "caliber hype". Find one that works for you and you can carry easy, fill it with gold dot ammo, and you're set.

14. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    I dont know if this will help but my brother made some iron targets put them in the ground shot em with his 9, was cool shot em with his 45 pulled em out of the ground. i am a fan of the 45.

15. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Just take a look @ the Kahrs before purchase for CCW. Less weight and a conceal well grip. U have to make sure u place your finger on the trigger right or u will shoot to the left.

Kahr TP9 Owner---Just broke in @ 200 rounds and not one jam (2nd Kahr)

Go 40 cal

:wink:

16. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    I like 40 s&w it packs a wallop.:eek:oooh: 45 acp is the good one as well as a 45 long colt!

17. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    The 9mm is a fine choice. I don't think professionals would carry it if it weren't.
    :smile2:

18. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Scott, I picked my Glock 26 9 MM due to it's size and weight. It didn't come with the laser sight, I added that later.

Glock was my choice because of proven reliability. They are used by law enforcement over the country.

But it's all about what YOU like. Good luck with your choice.

19. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Some of the best points have already been made. All I can add is to stress a personal observation. Not insinuating anything to you or anyone else, so please don't take it that way.

As a former LEO & VN era military, I want to add that when the $h!t hits the fan, most folks would have a hard time hitting the side of a barn. It takes years of constant practice to have instinct kick in and your training take over. It's not a matter of being scared, it's a matter of little experience being in a life or death situation. Unfortunately, few of us have the time or finances to practice enough. Solution? As my ol Chief used to say, "shotgun um!". What he meant was to throw enough lead to hit something, even if accidentally. Of course, it isn't a replacement for practice, but if you can't practice for whatever reason, it's an alternative. It's why few LEO carry wheel guns, just not enough rounds. .45 most certainly has it's following, but how many .45 hold very many rounds & still be small enough to be carried? You can put a lot of .22 shells in a small gun, but do they have the stopping power? There is a trade off either direction you go. 9mm, in my opinion, is very close to the center of those two directions. Again, my opinion only.
    If you are someone who has practiced enough that instinct would take over in a firefight, then you are formidable no matter what you carry. IF you are like 95% of the rest of us, carry a lot of rounds, "shotgun um", and hope for the best. LOL

20. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i like what vince and tom posted. i am very profecient with my hand guns. i shoot a lot. i am also quite sure that when the bullets start flying and the adrenaline hits maxine it aint gonna be like shooting a 199-19 on a b-27 Silouhett target. i use to imagine protracted fire fights at 75 yds. what a moron i was. the truth is for me is that, if i ever do use my carry weapon it is going to probably at a distance of less than 20 feet. i do not see a protracted gun battle taking place in a self defense situation. i know it is a possiability but i don't think its a probability. gun fights ain't like what we seen john wayne do when we were kids.