Is 40lb big game too big???

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by field989, Jun 28, 2006.

1. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    i bought some 40lb big game line, it is clear, i put it on one of my abus, is this to heavy LB of line

THANKS

Jeff

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    No I don think it's to big if you are after big fish.

3. drewk

drewk New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    it matters what size fish your fishing for man, i got 30 pound on my abu

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I think It will be fine.I have 30lb big game on mine and it does great.You just won't be able to have as much as say 20lb or 30lb test on it.
    Good Luck!!!

5. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    It's not too big for a big fish, but at that point I'd probably switch over to a braid.

6. r_p_narramore

r_p_narramore New Member

State:
    East KY
    I use 40lb. Big Game on my 7000 Abu. It is good line.

7. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    well i do have power pro on my other pole and i love it but i wanted to try big game cause i have heard good things about it,

the fish i am targeting is in the 30lb range but there will be more small ones but i try to go from 20lb fish on up lol but thats not the way it always works out:big_smile:

plus if i want to go down in lb test i can still use that 40lb as leader, which is what i am also doing right now

8. kurt

kurt New Member

State:
    ohio
    I run the 50# solar green. I love it, and it cast reel good also. I dont worry about snags either, because i swear i have brought in logs with this line on my 7000c3. I think the bigger line is easy to see at night, without a light too.

9. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    I use the 40lb. green with low visibility on all my Penn 209's and my CHZ60. I buy it in a spool of 1480yds. With all the rocks and salt water here it's never let me down. I think you'll like it too. The line comes out pretty smooth, without much memory. I'd recommend it to anyone.
    Don

10. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    The 40# Big Game is tough stuff! I was fishing from shore on my local river about a month ago and got a snag on a long cast I made. I'm talking like 50 yds. out there, well I start trying to break the line and it starts comin' in. It took me a good while but I brought in a 15" tire. Line would not break, felt like I was bringin' in a tree!

11. J.P.M.

J.P.M. New Member

State:
    OHIO
    I agree with kurt it is tough line and i also use the 50# test so i recommend it , but that doesn't mean much.