is .22 mag or 17hmr enough to kill coyotes?

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by scooter079, Dec 1, 2008.

1. scooter079

scooter079 New Member

State:
    ohio
    is .22 mag or 17 hmr enough for coyote i am wondering cause i can get a good deal on either one so any advice would help

2. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I would probably go more towards the 22 mag. The only reason that is the bullets are bigger. The .17hmr only come in 17 grain and 20 grain.

3. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    You can kill with the 17 but the 22 would be a lot better round. You would really have to have the shot right on a vital organ with the 17.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Both are capable of doing the job. I wouldnt even try with either at ranges of over 75-100 yds tho,They just dont have the devistating power it takes to stop a coyote right now. I'd get the 22mag just because the bullet carries more energy downrange. I have a 17 HMR and the only coyote I ever shot with it was hit square in the chest at 50 yds ,and ran off to be lost in the sage.My .223 dumps them in the dirt right now!!

5. seaark ryan

seaark ryan New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I have both and have only killed one yote with the 17 and it was only 1/2 grown. I have lost three others that I have shoot in the ribs from 50 to 125 yards. My 22 mag stops them fairly quick when I shoot them in the neck or ribs out to 125 yards. When shooting them in the ribs they will run off a ways but end up in a pile around 75 yards or less. Go with the heaver bullets and not the 33gr. ballistic tips. The heavyer bullits penatrate the ribs better. Now for fox or bobcats both have worked well for me!

6. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    22 mag has far better penetration because of the heavier bullet. Now if someone made a different style bullet than those ballistic tips and a touch heavier there would not be much difference. 22 mag shells cost way less than the 17 HMR too.

7. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I wouldnt use anything than a .223 .22-.250 or something in that area. A small caliber like that you might just wound him and theyll run off. I shot one when I was a teen witha .22 and took about 6-8 shots from what I remember and it was only about 200 ft. away.

8. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
  9. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Both would work under ideal conditions. But conditions are seldom ideal. Most any center fire cal. would be much better. Coyotes are tough.

10. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    id go with a slightly bigger centerfire rifle. yotes are toughl... dont believe me? 2 years ago me and my dad shot one during deer season when we were walking out of the woods, i shot him once with my .50 cal knight but i hit a little far back cuz he was running adn i have a scope on it, then he ran in front of my dad and my dad hit him 2 times, 20 Ga. deer slugs, before he finally couldnt run turned his head around beared his teeth and growled at us and my dad finished him off with one more slug to the back of his neck, the was about a 45 pound male coyote, this isnt a common occurance by any means but please, out of the respect of the animal, use a bigger rifle that you can be more confident with a single shot, clean kill. I just purchused a Stevens Model 200 in .243, plenty for coyotes, it was between that and the .223 chamber and i went with the .243 just for the bit more range and power. H&R has the handi-rifle for cheap too. I think its around $250 or so at Gander world. It comes in a varity of calibers, single shot drilled and taped and everything. Good rifles. And bigger calibers than a .22 Mag or .17 HMR are. Sure you can kill one with either of the 2 if you want, but odds are it wont be a clean kill. but like i stated before, for the sake and respect of the animal. It deserves a clean quick kill.

11. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have a 10/22 and a 17hmr.. I like both for their own applications, the 17 is my fav. but the wind seems to mess with it a good bit...:cool2: rollo

12. jstjames13

jstjames13 New Member

State:
    az
    i think both will do the job just have good shot placement (in the head )

13. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    .17 hmr is good for varmints, rodents, and other small animals a b.b. gun could dispatch, but for coyotes you should use at least a 22 mag. Id try to step up to a centerfire caliber if possible.

14. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    just for fun,Are you even aware of the ballistics of the 17HMR ? It dang sure aint in the same class as a BBgun if thats what your referring to,It has plenty of power to kill coyotes,the bullet just isnt heavy enough to give dependable kills.and I ain't trying to stir the pot,I just thought it odd to referr to a 17HMR and a BBgun in the same likeness.

15. Philiagorillia

Philiagorillia New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well i've shot a few with my .17hmr and they were all head shots placed in the ear and all under 200 yds and i was using hornady 17gr ballistic tips. They either dropped instantly or just flopped a little. Other than that, i always use my .223 loaded up with some hornady 60gr v-max or a 30gr berger varmit/match bullets.

16. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    I've shot coyotes with the 17 and a 243. I've had better luck dropping coyotes on the spot with the 17. The 243 bullets are about 100 grain and most pass right through the coyote without fully expanding. The 17 goes in and goes to pieces. I usually shoot them right behind the shoulder. My new gun is a 204 but i havent got a coyote with it yet.

17. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    For close work on large Dog size on down critters,I like the .22 hornet.If you reload and keep the pressures low,the brass will last forever.Cheap & quiet.A cheap open sighted,break open single shot bang around gun worked well for me.You do not need a scope and are better off without one at the ranges that I am talking about.UNLESS you have vision problems.If so,by all means use a scope.

Bad shot placement with a 12 gauge slug,Buckshot,.44 mag or 300 Weatherby and you can still lose a Coyote,Coon or Deer.The 300 might not even kill them if the bullet does not expand or hit a vital organ.I have found some that did not expand well in Deer in the past.Some over did the job.Bullets as a rule are much better now at all of this.

When I coon hunted,I often dug lead.22 LR.hollow points out of coons that had not expanded.The off side ribs would stop the bullet or I would never have known.

18. weekendredneck69

weekendredneck69 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I agree w 223Reload, I've had a 22-250 and was stupid and got rid of it.. : (, now ive got a .223 and it works wonders, i would much rather use either a .22-250 or a .223...but every man has their own decisions, likes and dislikes!!

19. catfish_clayton

catfish_clayton New Member

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    A 22mag will take care of them 4 sure.

20. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    You didn't say whether you were preditor hunting or shooting them in a trap .... either way would think you would want to go with the .22 mag. I have a friend that traps yotes and he dispatches them with .22 shorts ... that is with a side shot between the eye and the ear .... Garry-