Irvine Lake

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Socal-Mike, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Socal-Mike

Socal-Mike New Member

State:
    Anaheim California
    Irvine Lake Reports & Info

I went out Sunday morning with the lil bro and did some shore fishing...didnt wanna spend the $50 on a boat when the lake closes at 4 pm.

The water is dropping steadily and the bite has picked up some.

We stayed until about 3pm and managed 2 cats. Missed quite a few bites and farmed one. ALOT more action than the previous 2 outings.

I'll probably get out again this upcoming weekend and rent the boat.

2. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Good luck when you go. I may go out their the last weekend of the month on that Friday night and see if anything is picking up at the Vine. Will also look at Sutherland on that Saturday and they are getting good numbers of cats there as well.

3. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I hear that the bite is picking up and that they are primarily in the trees in the flats and also Sierra Cove. So if anyone is going anytime soon you will want to hit by the trees.

4. cliffey07

cliffey07 New Member

State:
    Redding, California
    my buddy went the other day but said the whole time he was there sierra cove was packed full of people so bad he couldnt even fish without someone jumping his spot, so he fished the trees by the dock and lots of people had some very nice stringers that day including him. they were killing them with the m and m combo right underneath the trees by the dock. His stringer was 15 pounds.

5. hustlur

hustlur New Member

State:
    Orange County
    Irvine starting to fire up. Headed over there last saturday night and managed some kitties in the 4-6 lb range and this one......all caught on 4lb test line.

Attached Files:

6. Socal-Mike

Socal-Mike New Member

State:
    Anaheim California
    Hmmmmm....damn i love the ALL DAY for $18...but hate the NEEDED boat rental.
    My last trip to SARL was awful, dont feel liek riskin a drive to Hesperia...and i NEED to get on some catts...

You guys suggest irvine for this weekend...probably saturday?

7. cliffey07

cliffey07 New Member

State:
    Redding, California
    mike, i am sure me and drews will be able to show up this time. we will get with you tomorrow and see whats going on. I am down for about anywhere we will catch some fish.

8. Socal-Mike

Socal-Mike New Member

State:
    Anaheim California
    Hit me up champ,
    went to the damn docs again today with these freakin headaches...gave me pills said to relax and rest, or it aint goin away. triggered from a while of lack of sleep and built up stress...sounds like a normal thing to me, but i guess im getti8n old at 26 :eek: Told me its a must i at least take this friday off, use the weekend to get REST and RELAX.
    so on the bright side (if there is one) i get to be on pills for a lil while, fish (relaxing) and REST all the time.........
    Obviously said to cut the stress out, easier said than done :glare:

Anyhow, LETS GO FISHIN.... :cool:

What im thinkin is Irvine........splitting a boat.
    However, this time im at the gate at 6am..then gonna take a long break around 12 when it heats up until the sun starts to receed.......that way im charged and ready for the night bite too.

Ill PM ya

9. drews0311

drews0311 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Mike

Cliffey and i plan on going to the peir tonight to catch some fresh mack for tommarrow. I want to hit it hard this weekend because i am getting to poor to buy food from the grocery store. :D i will call you when i get off work today around 4 pm.

drews

10. Socal-Mike

Socal-Mike New Member

State:
    Anaheim California
    I hear ya man...just hit me up today and lets plan. Check your PM-email..tell Cliffey too.

11. Socal-Mike

Socal-Mike New Member

State:
    Anaheim California
    So me, the lil bro, Cliffey and Drews decide to meet up at irvine and get a boat early and get some cattin done. My pops decided he wanted to come along this time so i was excited to get him on some fish.
    Got to the lake and in the boat by 715....runnin late again. :cursing:

Me, the bro and pops started off at sierra cove. Water was like glass, steam rising off the lake and was an awesome sight.
    FIshed it for a while, nothing.
    Moved over to the flats near the trees...both spots did have a nice amount of boats, im sure from the recent reports. The flats for a couple hours, NOTHIN- not even a nibble. I knew the night bite was king, but this was bad. Pops had to leave early, so i needed to get him fish before he left. Easier said than done.
    Moved to the docks, nothin. Used mack, shrimp, m&M, crawlers and even some nitro biscuits to boot.....nothin :mad:
    Headed back in for some lunch. Fueld up on some tuna and fruit and headed back out again.......back to the flats.
    Nothin nothin and more nothin. Headed to the dam, more nothin. I even tied up some plastics and staretd bassin :confused:
    Headed to sierra cove and tied to the docks. Got so slow pops started walkin the shore and found about 6 sweet rapala lures...nice ones. The water has dropped dramatically since the rain and theres tons of washed up gear :cool: pack rat style.
    So we get a call from drews and cliffey around 4ish (kinda late) and finally see someone land a cat :eek:
    We had hope! but it was a secluded one and he didnt get any after that and shortly moved.
    So after 7-8 hours of solid fishing and ZERO bites my dad is ready to go home.
    Pops leaves and we take a nice break.

545ish were back on the water with the 4 of us-

12. Socal-Mike

Socal-Mike New Member

State:
    Anaheim California
    Guess u cant edit after so much time or somethin....

Part Two- the night bite
    545ish were back on the water with the 4 of us-
    When we docked we aked the guy where the damn fish were. He said he seen soem caught just a couple hundred yards out- so we head for the area...no boats around.
    The sun is started to cease some and about 15 minutes at the new spot my line startes peeling slowly. :thumbsup: A bite, its a freakin bite!! Hookset and cat landed, a nice pansize. The lil bro nearly jumped out the boat when he seen the fish. (guess not seeing one all day scared him) Just a few minutes later, bros on...another pansize. Then Drews and Cliffey get on one a peice. Then we start getting snagged, big runs and by the time we set the hook...few seconds later, STUCK.
    A guy who my bro was yackin to while we were docked started circling us and said he didnt see any fish but told us where the structure was around us. Im guessing there was tons of crap under there.
    I get another one and the bro grabs my other pole runnin and ends up gettign one on it.
    Drews first pole gets hooked and hes fighting a monster who runs and ends up wrapped on the anchor, at the same time his other pole (using a weight) gets HAMMERED and the only thing that saved it was the reel slamming against the rental! Was awesome. Unfortunately he lost both fish.. :sad:
    The sun started to really go down and we decided to go get our lights and nigthtime equipment. Headed in with 6 fish. Im sad to say if we found this hole earlier my dad would have got on some fish...always next time.
    Back in the water, but there was a couple boats and a tuber hangin around the spot now :cursing: Seen mr catmando doin a guide i beleive and a couple others from another site.
    Hung out for a while a lil farther down and the bro landed another one pretty quik. We ended up farming a few more and the guys got on a couple and then i got on a NICE one -put up a good fight and read 5.65 on the irvine scale.
    We ended up coming loose on the anchors somehow and drifted off and it gets slow...so we try by the docks, for nothing...i think Cliffey farmed another. He said hes gonna wear a pair of overalls out next time :happy:
    So we move again....back to the flats. Its DARK as crap out there, we had 2 lanters and flash lights along with glow sticks..unfortunately others dont.
    We try the flats for nothing after about 1 1/2 hours- we navigate slowly back closer to the spot again.
    Its still pretty slow and the bites decrease...approachin 1245ish now. After another small one and of course a farm or two, i get hooked with another fun hog :0a6:
    This one puts up a very nice fight. Hes running and im tryin to keep his ass off the bottom....get him to the surface, he shows and then darts to the bottom. He had the pole bendo and made runs at the anchor and bottom of the boat a coupel times. FInally got him upto the top and the bro nets him. He nets part of the stringer and thinks he got the wrong fish...so he dumps it back out :eek: FUnny now, cuz he got it quik again...but wasnt at the time. This one read 6.5 but fought like a champ.
    No bites and another farm, we head back with 11 fish total. I got my 5 on my pole
    All were caught on flylined shrimp n mack for me.
    Day on the water with these nuts..the lil bro and pops was a great time.
    Water was good, weather was nice. The day bite sucked but it was great to get on some decent fish. Biggest YTD for me. Had some good laughs, maybe too many- and cant wait to do it again.
    Pics taken, but need to be scanned.
    That goes for anyone that htis irvine. Im always down to split a boat and meet up- or if u got the boat, ill pay your entry and bring ya a sixer... Im a bargainer like that.

13. cliffey07

cliffey07 New Member

State:
    Redding, California
    see the thing mike forogot to mention is everytime we got into some fish mike was being sneaky and kept the boat swinging so no one else could get in his honey hole :cursing: you have to watch out fo that guy he is sneaky.j/k. No i did farm alot of fish that day no one else to blame but myself. It least we all got some fish and for those last couple of hours we were getting into some fish.

14. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Good job on finding the fish. Looks like things is looking good there.

15. Socal-Mike

Socal-Mike New Member

State:
    Anaheim California
    Yeah, i was doin that...worked out nice. Kept sayin "hey move the anchor, were turning... "

Got a GAAAAAAAAANG of mack tonite at belmont..i mean, a gaaaaang. Hit me up and we'll do a sarl trip.

16. goodguy

goodguy New Member

State:
    Orange, CA
    great job on those cats last weekend. I'm going out on saturday evening with a buddy. I'll report what happens.

17. crazychuy

crazychuy New Member

State:
    Southern California
    Went to Belmont last night and caught a grip of mac's. They are definetly on the bite right now. If you go when the sun goes down the hot ticket is a "glow" stick with a #6 hook and a piece of fresh mackeral. In five minutes I caught 10 mac's. Thinking of going again next week. Need some more bait.

Chuy

18. cliffey07

cliffey07 New Member

State:
    Redding, California
    oceanside pier is another hot spot for mack right now. i am gonna have to go soon.

19. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    If anyone gets hold of any bonita while they are out there, let me know. I love to use bonita for bait more so than mackeral especially at San Vicente. Keep a heads up on that. I will be out there in a jippy for them.

20. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Great post Mike!!!!! I really enjoyed it.