Irvine lake - Take a kid fishing trip.

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by bluehunter, Feb 27, 2009.

1. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Today was the first annual take a kid fishing day trip. I worked on this trip for months, often having to reschedule and go through lots of channels to make this happen. But it happened today and I must say that the kids were stoked, and I was proud of them.

This is something I wanted to do for a long time and it happened today. I would like to give major props to Irvine Lake for allowing me to bring students from Los Angeles Unified School District to make this happen. I would like to thank Mrs. Warren for helping to facilitate this trip from the ground up. I would like to thank Mr. Lopez for getting the bus scheduled on time with only a few days notice. Also I would like to thank the principle Dr. Downing for allowing me to put this together and believing in the Audubon Middle School students to take a great trip to the great outdoor and to learn a new sport and more about nature. Special thanks goes out to the staff members who helped me out in the field, Mr. Brown, Mr. Parker, and Mr. Mackabee. We had a blast out there and your help made things go a lot better.

Most definitely major thanks goes to Marlon Meade for giving a seminar to the students and being there to help the students get on fish. Your time and dedication was greatly appreciated as a Berkely Pro Staff member. Major thanks goes out to Irvine staff member Jimmy for being my go to man throughout the planning - plus your help was very appreciated out on the field. And thanks goes out to Danielle for being so helpful and so dedicated to allowing me to bring students to Irvine lake. Irvine showed their support through returning phone calls and communications throughout the planning process. Very classy of the Irvine lake staff.

The students were on a tight schedule today, only having 3 hrs to fish. The lagoon was the designated area to fish, and the trout was definitely on the move. Many of the students never even touched a rod before, so you can imagin that the staff and volunteers were busy untangling lines, rebaiting hooks, re rigging set ups, and casting out line. This was work out there. LOL. Running back and forth, but this was well worth it to see the smiles on their faces and the excitement when they were reeling in a fish. We had a few fish loss due to error of not knowing what to do (like 3-4 fish) but in the end, our group of kids came up with about 10 trout. Which is fine for the amount of time that they had. Powerbait was the hot bait while nothing was caught on the jigs, but than again with the experience out in the field and the amount of students that I had (36), I felt it was best to stick with powerbait and for the kids to cast out and hold their rods.

I am looking forward to doing this again and is thinking about my next adventure for the kids in the future. I know that students will be waiting for their next Irvine lake adventure next year. :p

Here are some pics that I took when I got the chance, which was not much. LOL. A you tube video wil be available later. I am kind of tired. LOL. Thanks everyone.

B.

Attached Files:

2. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Some more more.

Attached Files:

3. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Keep it going

Attached Files:

4. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    yes ses ya.

Attached Files:

5. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    keep on ticking.

Attached Files:

6. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    we are here.

Attached Files:

7. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Thats really cool Brian! Thanks for staying persistant on taking the kids out there. Hopefully some of them got bit by the fishing bug and gained a new life hobby!

8. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    way to go brian. wish i could of been around to help out that day.
    gary

9. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Thanks everybody.

Yeah Tony is was cool. Definitely something good to get involved in with the kids out there. I know you will be doing the same. Nice talking with ya on the phone that day too. See ya out on the water soon.

10. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    That is what it is all about Brian:wink: Reps to you

11. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Excellent endeavor, Brian. I can't think of a better way to introduce youngsters to the fun of fishing.
    With the DFG stocking program for our urban park lakes many of these kids that you have introduced to fishing will find their way to local places to fish.

12. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Thats Awesome Brian. Looks like it was very successful!

13. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    good job planning that trip, i hope it will install the sport to many who might not get the chance to experience the great pastime of fishing.Maybe they might even form a fishing club at the school, i think that would be great! Job well done!!!!!!!

14. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Thanks. Its funny that you bring that up. I been asked about that in the last few years. I know some high schools have fishing clubs. I just may spark one off soon or even better a inner city youth fishing club covering many schools. I will look into some contacts for that. Funding now is the major issue with a lot of programs being cut off. Education also is experiencing the economic woes of today.

15. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
  16. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Thanks for the video. Gave me goose bumps:wink: Wish i could rep you again.

17. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    I hope you can find a way to get a club started, I am sure equipment shouldnt be a problem,there are probably many members that have old rods,reels and terminal tackle that they would like to donate.

18. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    reps to you from the east coast it takes a special person to have the time and patiences to do something like this you the man keep it up

19. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Thanks guys. I really do try to make things happen for people been working with young men for 13 years since I did work with the Omega Psi Phi fraternity to the group homes to the schools. Theres plenty of more good stuff coming up even with my other networking groups.

20. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Hey guys the above link is no good I had to change passwords as I been the victim of some hacking lately of accounts plus with one pword I gave someone a while ago, so here is to new link for the kids vid if you have not saw it yet. Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLizYECfy_U