Irvine Lake Tagged Catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by bobo, Aug 9, 2008.

1. bobo

bobo New Member

State:
    california
    Hello everyone,
    Has anyone heard any fishing news on how the "Day" fising is at Irvine lake. Im thinking of taking my 4-Year Old fishing with me on Sunday.
    The website and WOS only has last weeks info. I know it cranks at night but im looking for day info. Also does anyonre know how crowded it gets during the tournaments, especially during the day? Dont want junior to get nervous. One more question, am i better off renting a boat or doing shore fishing during the day?

Thanks,

Bobo

2. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    After a two hour drive from my place in Canoga Park to Rays house 40 miles away in Redondo Beach, we hooked Ray's boat to to my truck and headed to Irvine traffic from Redondo to Orange Was moving fair.
    Stopped off at Dong Loi fish market in Garden Grove at Brookhurst and Westminster and purchased 1 mackeral and 1 Bonita for fresh cut bait.
    Got to the lake about 4:30 and launched the boat, didn't seem to be many people on the water, that changed by sundown.
    Set up on the buoys off the flats and gave it a go for about 4 hours never got a bite.
    Moved to a couple of other locations and the last place we stopped at 12:00 was the old creek channel on the flats in about 7' of water.
    There Ray and I both got the only real bites of the night and we both struck out.

3. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    wow!! not only does o'bulldog know how to fish, he knows how to eat as well!!!

4. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Man..... you are giving our ole secrets away.....reminds me of my youth here in California.... use to have em all over the place before taco bell and Mc ducks took over our land..... some of the A&W had "chicks' that used roller skates to come to the window for "window service".....

Bayrunner Ray

5. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    HI Bobo, welcome to the BOC! You can access there website for fishing info. Beign how hot it has been there might not be too crowded. The good thing about Irvine is, it has a kid's lagoon seperated from the main lake. It is only for children and family.
    As far as boat goes I have been fortunate to fish irvine with a friend who knows that lake foward and backwards. I remeber one tournament we spent fifteen minutes trying to get right on top of this spot he has recorded on his GPS; but once he located it, I hooked the first fish it was a 4 pound channel. My buddy ended up winning the tournament with a 28 puond blue catfish!

Jaime

6. gilmafam

State:
    California

Jaime... the vine is low right now.. launched off of the trout island... You know, we were company with the "catman" Smothers, the mackeral man, he moved his boat a couple of times, and some other bro's were there too.. no one caught anything.. water temp was 84 degrees... the hole in "Santiago Flats" was deep to 30 feet... but generally the flats are shallow.

When you were there in that tournament... did you fish the flats or out near the dam?....just wonering... Bayrunner Ray

7. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Welcome to the BOC Bobo. A lot of great folks and awesome info on South Cal. Them So Cal boys know there stuff. :wink:

8. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hi Ray, we were about 150 yards straight out from the launch ramp at Trout Island. Look for the structure Ray. That is the hot spot for big blues.

Jaime

9. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Thanks for the tip jaime... I have seen the lake much lower than what it was on friday, and to the west of trout Island there is a "fence row" or poles of structre.... not sure if that is what you are talking about, or is it to the north some.... Their was a boat or two in that vacinity...LOL

Bayrunner Ray

10. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hi Ray, that is exactly where I am talking about. :wink:

Jaime