Irvine lake fishing and related information

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by bluehunter, Oct 15, 2006.

1. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Thought I would post a section for Irvine fishing.

I went out Friday night and caught this 42 pound cat on fresh dead mac. I also caught an 8 pounder. Cat was caught after a good rain pour. I may go out next next Friday and give it a shot before trout season starts. I will also go there for trout sometimes as well.

I am having trouble posting pic so I need help. Will get it up soon.

2. Pontoon

Pontoon New Member

State:
    California
    Brian, if anyone desreved to catch that fish you did. You toughed it out and prevailed! On the drive home I was talking to Trollmiester and we both knew you were going to report something good. congratulations!

3. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Thanks Terry. Nice catch for you also.

4. karodi

karodi Guest

Hey blue i knew you were due. Nice job. !!! Call me when your phone is fixed. Keith

5. Fishnhuntforever

Fishnhuntforever New Member

State:
    Northern California
    Sounds like a sweet cat:big_smile: Good luck on your next trip! Hope to see some pictures. I bet it was a good fight.

6. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hi Brian good to hear the news. Will be looking for your picture.

Jaime

7. Vulture

Vulture New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Hey Blue! Have yu been out with Riverbud latley? I'll heading that this weekend. Going to try for some flats but duck season opens this Friday. Tough call for me. I need to do a lil scouting arond my area for flats. I dont know if River told you about me. But I have a place south of Blythe. I fish for flats out of Cibola lake but its closed right now due to duck season. Thats where all the geese roost at night. Its a toss up between cats and ducks. Any ways no mater what I do I need to hit the Vine for some of those big cats. Have you tried the super sticky at the Vine? I know River and I did pretty good on the river with that stuff. Just woundering if it would work. Maybe Ill see you out there.

8. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele

We went out a few weeks ago to the Vine but nothing much happened that night. I have not been to the River. Been meaning to call Dale but I need a new celly. Dale did mention you to me though so I know about you.

The super sticky works at the Vine, but the biggers ones will go for the cut bait.

I want me some of those flats bad now but will wait until the spring time. MEanwhile I will be going to San Diego a lot for the big blues.

If yall want to see my pic it is in this weeks edition of western outdoor news pg13.

9. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Here are some pics of the 42 pounder.

I went out Friday night and lost 2 good ones due to foul up on the hook set of my circle hook. Really disappointed in that but thats what happens sometimes. Until next time, good fishing.

Attached Files:

10. Pontoon

Pontoon New Member

State:
    California
    Brian it was good to see you and Little B on the lake last night. I heard two of the runs you got. I knew that the first one had to be a real nice fish the way the drag was screaming. I was really excited for you and I was hoping to see you bring it in. The same thing has happened to me a couple of times this year with the hook getting turned back into the bait.
    It's too bad the night fishing has to end at the Vine because things were starting to get better with the bigger catfish. well, I guess we have next year to look forward to and I'm hoping to get the opportunity to try some new waters to fish in the mean time. Maybe even give the river a try for some of the flatheads I've read about from you and Riverbud.
    Trollmiester and I will be giving it one last shot tonight. Hopefully we can get the one we've been looking for.
    Good luck to you Brian.

11. muskyman

muskyman Active Member

State:
    Loudon TN
    Name:
    David
    Nice job brian ; you and terry know the afternoon bite is really good during trout season , just fish the same deep water spots from like 1-4 p.m. I have done really good out there with all these other guys trolling for trout doing circles around me. I lost a real nice one last december that wrapped me up on " something " down there , and that was around 3 pm or so. So don't put those cat rods away quite yet. I find that the afternoon bite on trout usually sucks anyways. Take it easy guys.

12. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Thanks Dave I heard the same thing so I will try that a few times out there and see what happens. We use to be able to nail them all thru November back in the days so that is a good idea. I will have a few cat poles with me when I go trouting because normally you can get your limit of trout before noon.

13. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele

Wish you luck Terry. We may still be able to get some during the evening hours at the Vine during trout season. I will try that a few times. It really sucks that they end night hours so early but as you can see many people do not fish there at night in the cold. Its a good thing for us but from a business standpoint for them its not good. Irvine use to go all through November with night fishing during the 90's and with the trout wars that been going on since then they have push it back to Mid october. This is reallly the best time to go after big cats at the Vine too.

When you want to try for flatheads holla at Riverbud and me. We will be after them come early spring. Also if you can make a run to San Diego it is where the big blues are at during the winter time.

14. Pontoon

Pontoon New Member

State:
    California
    Brian, we're not going to stop fishing for the cats right away. After getting into catting this year it's going to be hard to walk away for the trout.
    I've been talking to Trolly about branching out to some other lakes for cats and we may try down the S.D. way sometime.
    Don't be suprized if I contact you or Riverbud about some flathead advice. That sounds like a lot of fun.

15. Pontoon

Pontoon New Member

State:
    California
    Dave, the advice you gave me paid off big time. Thanks a lot.
    I'm hoping the lake doesn't get too crowded or crazy with trollers to anchor down like you said. I'm sure that if we do we could pick something up real nice. But you know first hand how it can get there during trout season.

16. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hi David, hope all is well bro. How is Woodbridge? is a country like setting hows the fishing? I remeber the last gathering we had you were looking foward to moving back to your home state.
    Hi Brian, saw your picture in western outdoor news what a catch! I also read about Terry (pontoon) in the paper.

Hope to do some fishing soon, my dad is scheduled for knee replacement surgery this friday. I will probably have a chance to go the following weekend.

Jaime

17. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Thanks jaime. I will be back out there around the 2nd week of NOV. Maybe hit irvine that Sat or Sun for trout and maybe some cats too.