Irvine Lake - 4 small trout and a bass.

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by bluehunter, Jan 18, 2010.

1. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Said I was gonna do more trout fishing so went out Sat. Not much action but also good to get on the water with son. Trolled entire time with rapalas. Will go back out there for Presidents day tourny and do same thing - troll. LOl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcaHtP70zXM

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  2. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Good to see that you took your boy out Blue.....

How far are you back with the lures when trolling....?.

I made up some special rod holders for a buddy of mine that trolls a lot for white bass and crappie and trout.....
    He advocates poles that are "low to water" so as to get the lure deeper......The tips of his poles/ and mine as well are several inches off the water.....and off to the sides..... and .......way back

Some folks advocate "lead core" to get down to where the fish are holding.....personally.... I do not like the weight of the line.....

One other tip.... use a small swivel above the lure.... say 30 inches.... keeps line twist down... and then you can "down size" the leader material.....

Enjoy the President day trip......

3. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    thanks for the video Blue, great job man.

4. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    For sure Ray. Thanks!

As far as distance going back I have to estimate it at about100 feet or so. Did not want to go too far back as the trafiic on the lake was tremendous. At Irvine you really do not have to use lead core until the weather warms up like in late spring or so. The better success has been at getting them from 6 to 11 feet below surface. You may be able to do well with it trolling up and down the dam area only but when trolling the west shore close to banks and especially the flats you do not need leadcore when trolling in water that is 10 to 25 feet or so. When DVL was doing well with the trout before the stripers arrived leadcore was the thing to use trolling it and catching plenty of full tail holdover rainbows. Great for trolling deep water.

The swivel tip is good especially whe using roostertails. Roostertails are deadly for the trout but twists up your line something furious trolling with it and the swivel deal helps stop that.

5. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    "Nice Viedo B"!!! - D@m - Little B is growing up - the last time that I seen him was down at the River (Colorado) about (what:thinking:) 5 or 6 years ago.
    Man - Like we say -"Time Flys"!!!!
    LoL

:cool:

6. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Yea man time flies. He is getting tall now he may take after my dad, uncle , and grandma and surpass my height. LOL

7. Smokin

Smokin New Member

State:
    Ca
    Try some 5 blade flashers then put a rubber snubber on the end then 18 inches of leader and then a a wedding ring tip it with a night crawler. try that works well for most lakes I fish. I have yet to not come home with a limit of trout.

8. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    Thanks for the report and video. Glad to see you are taking your son out. Now that I am older I look back and really cherish those same moments with my grandfather. Reps to ya bro.

9. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Yea I remember my young kid days of getting out with my dad. Will never forget those.

I have former students come back to me and ask about going fishing. I may take a few of them. Some even that is in high school now. One in particular that is always in trouble and kicked out of 3 schools. He was one of the kids I took last year and he had a great time. Just into the gang life but hopefully he gets out of it. He and a few others always come to me and thank me about the trips we had.

B

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  10. Pile drivers

Pile drivers New Member

State:
    California
    a brother nice video with your son to bad you don't win no money next time

11. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Thanks can not win them all but it is fun to participate. Looking forward to the next one in Feb. Hopefully will do better.

12. bluecatfish

bluecatfish New Member

State:
    SoCal

WE DID GO FISHING THERE AND CATCH 20 TIME FROM TROUTS AND WILL GO AGAIN NEXT WEEK

13. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Hey Nice to see ya again. Good job on those trout I will be back out there in a few weeks trolling for trout.

14. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hi Brian, I will be out there Presidents Day Weekend, Hope I see ya, out there. If we run into each other, lets drink a few beers bro.
    I like to fish the west shore, right by the boat dock.

Jaime

15. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Good to see ya posting Eddie... We have another fisherman that is "hard of hearing".... Plumbertom1...probably the best fisherman in this site considering salt and freshwater...But it is rough fishing with him in a boat..... the snoring.... and he cant hear his pole going off..... so I do "double duty"

16. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    For sure I will be in my G3 doing some trolling. Will look for you.

17. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    I hope to catch some channels as well. I plan on one combo for trout the other for Catfish.
    Brian, whats your take on using scents on cut bait? I have Garlic Plus Oil made by Pro Cure, and Shad Oil by Pro Cure. I also want to see if I can catch Channels Using Secret 7 Stink bait.

Jaime

18. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    As far as cut baits is concerned is concerned I don't use scent much. Catmando baits has worked for me a lot as it is a natural bait scent. Also kat juice has worked as well for me. Nothings beats using the natural flavor of bait when it comes to blue cats. Channels on the other hand stinks works, but I really do not target channels much unless I want some table fare. I am mainly a blue cat and flat chaser when it comes to catfish. If you can get a hold of some of the fresh dead like you use to get from downtown you will be good. Natural oily flavor is king. Pro cure does not work well for me for cats. It has worked for trout though as a added scent to crawlers or powerbait. Secret 7 is good to use, I heard good results with it at Irvine. Also sonny's . I caught many small channels with it at irvine as well as other places.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  19. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  20. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Right now with the temps Jaime, most dip baits don't produce like it does in the summer. One thing I been told that works as far as scent goes is the Big Willie XXX Blood.