Irvine eaters last night - Fish fry anyone?

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by bluehunter, Jul 11, 2009.

1. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Headed out along with Todd to the incredible Vine. Picked him up in L.A. and we headed out to the Ontario area to pick up the boat and we were out to the fishing hole. We arrived around 12pm and went venturing around looking for the cats. Tried a few spots and made a few moved until we came across them on the 2nd move. When we came across them we came across them. They were wide open. However one thing was strange that day - they would not touch the cut bait. They only wanted the stank. So we caught quite a bit on them till we just decided to not catch any more and try for the bigger ones. No success on those, but at least we tried. When night time came the bite was gone. They ventured out of their comfort zones to open area somewhere. Ran into a few peeeps that I normally see at the vine and I can tell you that the crappie bite is on and cracking if you get into the right areas. Nice size ones too. Nick came across some nice crappie so did a few other boats and the notorious screamer in a pontoon that night - " Look at all these baitfish, Oh I got a 1.5 pounder, oh did you see that, Woow I got another one, where going to get a 2 pounder watch. " Lol, :big_smile:they were on the crappie big time. We tried for the crappie for a bit but could not get on them and called it a night around 10pm. We got some good eater size channels and they will be great with some of that batter I have on deck for it and some hush puppies too with some onions and peppers in it. I am ready to eat. :smile2:

Had fun out there Todd and nice fishing with you. Sorry about that phone dropping in the water too bro. That happened to me at the Vine before as well.

The next few weeks I am taking off from fishing and have other things going on like classmate reunions and other get togethers and socializing so I will live through other people reports. LOl. Its the summertime baby times to get out and have fun!:big_smile: Here are a few pics nothing special just a litle something to show we were out on the water.

Attached Files:

2. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    nice catch Brian, now they can swim in hot oil!

3. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Brian what time is dinner?:big_smile:

4. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Thanks fellas. It is always good to get some for the frier and not just lunkers all the time.

Since Irvine lake is in full swing and I consider it my home based lake, I put together a short slide of some of my Irvine Lake experience in a vid. YEAH I KNOW I HAVE TOO MUCH FREE TIME.:smile2: I had a lot more pics but I try to put in amount for the song a lot of times - plus I am missing some of my real old ones while the others needs to be scanned. Nevertheless this should help give us locals some motivation to get out there and get those Irvine cats. I can not wait for the fall to come along for the lake. Hope you all enjoy.

B..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxq79MXggyY

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  5. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Nice video blue. Cool tunes too. Brown Sugar:wink:

6. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Thanks Robb. Nothing like some neol soul tunes in the background and acid jazz.

:big_smile:

7. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Just out of curiosity is there anybody fishing Irvine lake except me here? They are running a great catfish tournament this season and the next one is Aug 15 and also another one for September before the big event in October for King of Cats at Irvine. Locals should look into it. I will be at all tournament events including the finale that I qualified for so it should be interesting. Root for me I am trying to win as well as my friends thats also in. :wink:

B

8. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    OK B - I just wanted to let you know that I'll be over for dinner,
    (ok -lets see now :0a14:) will about 6:30 be ok?
    (lol)
    :wink:

9. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    Thanks for the report Brian. Looks like some good eatin' is to be had.

That's a good problem to have:wink:

10. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Dinners already been served fellas. LOL. These are the best ones to eat thats for sure. All I needed was some crappie to go along with that and that would have been lovely. :wink:

11. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    Thanks for the report Blue. Some nice lookin fish. I guess it doesn't matter what they look like when they are going down the hatch though.:smile2: I will be having a fish fry of my own this weekend. Clear Lake channel cat, Mendota Slough crappie, and drainage ditch(Blythe) Talapia.:wink:. Like 2PAC "I Get Around".

12. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Sounds like a winner to me. Crappie is like candy around my family. They do not last at all. LOL. I need to do some specific crappie fishing soon. Look into those slabs too next time you hit the Clear I heard good things about them up there. Getting around is always good thats the cool thing about meeting people on forums you can set up a hook up somewhere you have not been.

B

13. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Looking good Brian, did ya catch them on Mackeral? I have been wanting to hit Irvine up but have been on Vacation or working OT. I plan on getting up there very soon though.
    Brian, it would be cool to have a gathering at Irvine again. I know the last one you put together was awsome!

Jaime

14. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Thanks Jaime. I may do a gathering next year at Irvine. I kind of been working over time with events this year and after the IV event in August will be done for the year. I have not even been fishing much this year as compared to last year. I will look into the cards for next season and see about an event at Irvine with a pot luck and bbq like the one we had at Irvine that one year.

The channels was caught on stinkbait and sponge on the trip. The mackerel could not even get a touch that trip it was weird. We had all that mackerel and bonita that day. So I just saved it for another day and we used the stink bait they was tearing it up that day. :big_smile: Goes to show sometimes we have to bring an assortment for catfish. I was also told that shrimp been working well too at Irvine from a guy who went earlier that week.

B

15. whiskers67

whiskers67 New Member

State:
    california
  16. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Definitely. No fat. None of the yellow mess to cut off the fillet too. The good ones like I get out of my uncles pond in Georgia. LOl. We tear those up sometimes eating them to the bones. :wink:

17. lowe

lowe New Member

State:
    California
    Way to go Blue, don't forget the potato salad or cold slaw to throw on the side. I'll see out there, we have to hook up on the next san diego trip.
    See ya on the water ..lo

18. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Hey Brian, Thanks for the slide show, if that doesn't get a catfisherman excited nothing will! I guess I better work on the slide and music thing, I spend my time being a netman and cameraman for the guys catching um!

19. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Most definitely. We will be in touch.

B

20. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    LOl. Its all good. Gives me something to do when I am bored. :smile2: