Irvine 10/17 results

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by bluehunter, Oct 16, 2005.

1. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    The get together went nice. Out of the 38 that was signed up, about 20 of those showed up. But we still had fun. The Carne Asada that Fat Albert put together was delicious. The pasta was delicious, and also of course the fish fry by Fishprince especially the crappie was great. Keith can put together a great fish fry. Lots of food. Full bellies. And also great socializing occured.

Now to the fishing. Tough, tough, and tough. Preserverance was the key for the night. It was windy pretty much most of the time, a little sprinkle came through as well, and it was looking grim for me for a while. But on top of that, I still had my chance and blew it for the season. I did not get any hits until 10pm. And they hits were massive hits. First hit at 10pm and I was shocked because I have not had anything until that time. This thing was going nonstop and loud like that I get at Vicente. I get up and let it run and set the hook and nothing. That was on bonita. Next one 5 minutes later on the old faithful blue/ gray rod handed down from my father. This rod has caught and hooked more blues than any rod I have. The line was peeling fast, the pole was bouncing loud up and down. I automatically know its a fourty plus when that happens. Set the hook. Its on. Pole is bent. Fish is doing a hard head shake and pull. Fight it for about 5 minutes. This only hapens to me once a year at irvine and I am hoping that I land it. It feels heavy. Then all of a sudden loose line. Its shook loose. I was astonished. Had to be at least 50. That one hit a fist size cut bonita. So I am like that was the opportunity right there. I relaxed and get another run around 11pm. Not as big as the one I lost, but maybe 30. This thing decides to go for my anchor. I pull up the anchore because I had 3 out there to keep me from being blown all over the place, and then I loose that one. 3 good hits and no fish. now. Finally I get 2 small cats one at 6.7 and the other around 4 pounds. This was a night for big fish and I knew it because it was too slow. But that is when I catch my big fish when the bite is slow and tough like that. And I had a feeling that I was going to get one at the dam but I lost it. Well that ok and its best to stay positive as theres always next time.

The break down of the derby went the following way.

1.Catmando = 10.8 w/$190

2. Fat Albert = 9.7 w/$133

3. Bluehunter = 6.7 w/$57

Nice fishing with everybody and I will do this a few times next fall at Irvine again. One around the 3rd week of Sep and another one around the 2nd week of October. I'll call it the fall classics. Same way we did it this time. Food and bbqing. Will add some plaques to it this time as well for an added attraction. Arrivals to be at noon as this seems to work better for everyone. Good fishing everyone and thanks to those that showed up and helped make this thing happen. Nice to see jaime, Drews, and Cliff as well. Thanks for the bonita Jaime. That bonita gave my my chance last night at the Vine thats for sure. We will have to do something for trout as well guys and girls.

I attached a pic.

Attached Files:

2. crazychuy

crazychuy New Member

State:
    Southern California
    Hey Blue,

Sorry I didn't make it out. Sounded you had a pretty decent time out with the exception of the wind of course. I hate wind. I will fish in anything but wind, hate it.

I had to attend a company wide picnic with this new company that I joined. My thoughts were with you guys out there.

I'm looking at going fishing for the trout season with some of my co-workers soon due to the fact that we have ALOT of fisherman with the company not to mention our customers, too.

CHUY

3. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Cool Chuy that Irvine trout thing will work. Keep me posted on that. Yeah it was tough but I caught big fish in weather like that. Thats what I look for at San V minus the wind but the sprinkle and a little breeze is cool. Sounds like a nice comany you work for. How is the rod making thing looking?

4. Socal-Mike

Socal-Mike New Member

State:
    Anaheim California
    Like always was a blast, but the wind definately dampened the overall day...at least for me.
    I ended up catchin a couple and my dad got skunked and left around 6ish.
    Me n cliff ended up just usin my rental and hit up some deep spots later in the night when the wind "calmed" :rolleyes:
    We both got some good runs but then Cliff got a huge one. I dint know what happen. All i know is he had a slab of that boni on there definately bigger than a baby mack and the pole was screamin for at least 10 seconds. Like i said, i dunno what happen. :confused:
    The wind just flat out sucked but the damn fishfry was retardly good again :cool:

Doin one for trout sounds good too, maybe meet there at 6 cuz the lake will be closin at 4 i thot?

Anyhow, goodtimes...thanks for putting it all together.
    Hope lilB is doin good.

5. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Yea Mike the change of weather got to him thats why i did not bring him out. glad I did not cause it was a mess.

6. muskyman

muskyman Active Member

State:
    Loudon TN
    Name:
    David
    Man did that wind suck or what ? We hooked up on our first fish at around 9:30 and it was on a rod that was straight down underneath the boat. I had that fish on for about 2 minutes and it felt good right off the bat. But I will never know cause it wrapped me up in the anchor rope :mad: ; I got another 5lber and a few crappie and that was about it. Oh well, that's why they call it fishing instead of catching.

7. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    hey you guys glad to see it all came off good at the vine hope to make the next one, would have been nice if i could have made it but did ok out at in blythe. Did some quail hunting sat. morn. got my limit of 10 birds before noon, man o man the quail hunting is great this year. got some lunch went to b&b bait got some gold fish then back to camp and put the boat in the water about 4pm. went out to try for some cats, got a 2lb channel not 2 mins. after putting my line out. after about an hour the wind came up big time and had to get back to camp to put the awning in on my trailer. went to bed after the ball game and got up 5am and went to my spot to try for some flathead nothing after about 1-1/2 hrs and moved up river hooked up 7 lb and 8lb channels both on goldfish and 3 in the 2 to 3 lb range on shrimp, don't know why but them big channels sure like the gold fish this time of year. And then whamo RAIN, big rain storm hit and didnt have any rain gear with me so headed back, was raining so hard could hardly tell were I was on the river. Didn't get any flats this time. Did some lunch and started looken for some spots to fish the drain canals and ran across an oldtimer fishen one of the "tubes" (tubes are the tubes running under roads) something I have never seen done hung around for a while and bs'd with the dude and got a lot of good info. found out if im going to try for the big one i'm going to need whole diffrent rig, the dude uses a heavy 12' pole and large bait caster w/ 50lb mono an 8/0 hook and a blue gill for bait, takes the 12 foot pole and able is to get the line out to and hold it over the center of the canal and fly line the bait down the tube, and then worked the bait down the tube 2 or 3 ft a min., dependin on long the tube is it takes about 30 min. and he'll run down 2 times and if gets nothing he'll move on. looks like to me some hard work, got to clime down and up the side of the canal with a rope about 30' with all your gear and if your lucky a big fish. the the dude said he's got 4 flat over 40lb in this way and so many over 30 he can,t remenber in this way also said his buddy whitch holds the state record for the flathead got his this way

8. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Riverbud we need to get a plan for a Blythe/colorado river gathering as well. Whenever the big flatheads show up. Anytime so We can plan for it that you can think of is fine either for spring or fall.

9. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    ya you know it blue, I think a good time would be from about the 1st of april to mid may. after about the 1st of may it can get a little warm sometimes. I know we'd all have a blast, maybe try and hookup with AZ bros also, I know thay had a gathering down there in May last year and try to make it the same time as theirs. maybe have a little fish off between the AZ bros and the CA bros or somthing, may even be some bros from south NV that could make it. oha hell make it a west coast gatherin lol . Lets start working on this one blue , need to start a thread and post soon and start getting a some dates that work as many as possable, need a tread in AZ and CA, and in gatherings. the more time to put it togather the better.

Going to get me good long pole and try some canal fishing here soon and see how it all goes, the dude says a person can get a big flat any time of the year. going to also need to find a good place to get some bluegill or find some place that always has big goldfish. The bait shop down there has not been getting the large goldfish and need to find some place around here that has them so if any one knows of a place let me know

10. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hello everyone. I hope all is well. Man I had a great time even though I got skunked. Thanks to Keith, got to try crappie for the first time; delicious!
    It was very nice to see all of you. David(muskyman) I am going to Catalina Island in two weeks; if I catch bonito will save some for you bro.
    Brian, hope little Brian is doing ok.
    Fished with Drew and Brandt. These guys are tottaly cool; not a dull moment. I also got to try deer meat for the first time; delicious. I had one run at the first bouy.
    Can't wait for trout season to begin!

Jaime

11. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    Fist size chunks of bait :eek: what the heck you guys grwowin down there sea monsters :D

Fried crappie don't get much bettern that....

12. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Riverbud I am with the river trip. Spring time would be fine. We can get this started. I know nothing about that area so someone that is familar with that arena should set if off.

Jaime keep trying the vine and you will succeed. Unfortunately now the trout is taking over. So I will not really fish the vine for cats again until late summer thru the fall. Its San V time next month thru end of Feb. I will tackle the trout a few times though.

Vini it was more like a half fist size. LOL.I throw the big pieces out though.

13. Socal-Mike

Socal-Mike New Member

State:
    Anaheim California
    I think ill keep hittin the cats at the vine once they start the saturday til 11 thing.
    SHow up early, slay some trout...maybe get about 4ish...leaving ONE fish in my limit left for a kitty......... BIG OL GIANT SLIMY KITTY :cool:

Hopefully find one that hasnt gorged on the trout :crying:

14. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Brian, every time I fish Irvine I learn a little more. Just need to put my time in I guess. I am learning the spots; in the morning, hit the flats, afternoon to late evening first bouy by the luanch ramp and evening by the dam. I am learning what bait works best(fresh if possible) cast out as far as possible. I used a sliding egg sinker last time. Current was so strong kept bringing my line underneath the boat.
    When is the last day we can fish until 1am?

Jaime

15. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno

Those are all good fish you guys caught, would have liked seeing the ones that got away for sure.

16. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Jaime that 2am special is over and will not start again until summer. In Nov on saturdays they are doing a 6am to 11pm though which is cool.

17. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Vini the big cat show is just beginning to me. Soon as San Vicente time come around from Nov thru end of Feb, I will have more opportunities there. If this season is like last, I will land some more monsters, I hope.

18. Socal-Mike

Socal-Mike New Member

State:
    Anaheim California
    Blue,
    Is San V stocked with trout too.

I will go a couple times, just the trip would be a MISSION and a half to say the least.

Just wondering if ill be able to scratch up anymore cats at the vine on the 11pm shift.

19. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Yes Mike they put trout in there in the winter time. Last year was a good trout bite in certain areas.

You will still have a good bite on cats at Irvine to 11pm. Its gets those blues stired up and moving when the trout are stocked.

20. Socal-Mike

Socal-Mike New Member

State:
    Anaheim California
    Thanks for the tips blue.
    Cant wait til the 4th to start hitting it again.

Went to SARL for some trout....all that 4# test and gay color baits..oh man, lets just say i miss my stinky kitties.