Irvin was stoned

Discussion in 'UFC, Boxing, Wrestling, etc.' started by derail, Aug 2, 2008.

1. derail

derail New Member

State:
    kansas
    Anyone see that Irvin had methadone and another powerful painkiller in his system during the a$$ kicking he took from the spider. Unless overturned, he has been fined his entire 20 grand purse from the fight.

2. CopeMan

CopeMan New Member

State:
    MO
    I didnt hear about that. I can sure belive it though. He got knocked the fk out. :eek:oooh:

3. derail

derail New Member

State:
    kansas
    Found about Irvin's penalty on mmajunkie.com. Can't say I was surprised. UFC is confirming his positive test also.

4. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I would pre-up on the painkillers if I had to fight the Spider too...but I'm a punk lmao. Hadn't heard that though. When will these atheletes ever learn that dope don't pay in their profession?

5. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    Pain killers? I'm guessing they wer'nt the over
    the counter kind. Would'nt take a half brain to
    realize what that's going to do for your reflexes. Not verry smart or professional. I
    can't help but wonder if the guys in his camp
    knew about it and went along with it. This is
    really a weird situation. I'm sure we'll hear
    more.

6. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    The Spider sobered him up pretty quick!:smile2:

7. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    WHAT AN IDIOT!!! you spend all that time training and then do something stupid like that and then you basically get your a$$ knocked out for free. real bright move.

8. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    at least 50 % or more are jazzed up or taking somthin . just like alot of other pro sports.

ive lost interest in the fights last few years !! too many rules, rounds and wieght classes.

i truely loved the first few years of the ufc in the early 90s. 2 men enter 1 man leave as the winner. wether it took 10 seconds or 40 minutes , it was more like a real fight back then ,

sure with todays ground attack exsperts may take a long time for a winner to be crowned but at least it would be real. no time outs in a real fight .lol

and who dosnt like to see a 160 lb guy fight a 300 lber once in awhile :wink::smile2:

i still rember hoice gracie pull the hawains pony tail back and hit him clean in the face 4 or 5 times . loved watching his patience in a fight for a guy to make a mistake then win !!!!!

or tank abot shoot his mouth off walk in and do what ever it took like a bar fight . he sometimes kicked butt or got his butt kicked . no quick tap out for good ol tank abot!! :smile2: back in his day

9. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Hopefully "DREAM" will bring back the old "PRIDE" type fights. They used to do the Grand Prix in which fighters of different weight classes could go at it and the rules were not nearly as strict as what the UFC fighthers have to face.

10. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana

I liked the early days of the UFC too. The only
    problem back then was that when a tournament
    was held in the same night the outcome was deemed untrue because one guy might have knocked out his opponent in ten seconds while
    another guy had to fight for thirty mins to win. So you now have one guy who fought for thirty mins having to fight a guy who only fought for ten seconds. Basicly that's why
    one night tournaments have dissapeared. But I
    have to admit, Those were the good old days!

11. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    The best thing about that though was that it proved Jiu Jitsu's effectiveness even more. Now in present time though...it would be a lot more difficult for a fighter to do what Royce was able to back then since everyone has a base in ground submission.

12. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I like the old days too, watching a 180 pound guy beat the crap out of a 400 pounder is great. One thing I didnt like though was an alternate could come in and fight once against a guy who was fighting the third time and be crowned "champ". I do wish they would bring back some no weight class fights though.

13. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    It'll be pretty hard to get the UFC to try since the commision is so strict with all the rules:angry:...

14. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The only way for cage fights to become a legitimate sport in the US was for there to be rules, and safety measures. Dana knew that. I'm glad for it, as I love the current format of MMA in the USA. :big_smile:

15. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I agree that there needs to be rules in place to protect the fighters. Still though, if you ever watch the PRIDE grand prix tournaments, you'll see that the open weight classes were pretty exciting.