Irritated at Ignorance

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Jnorman, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Jnorman

Jnorman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm really not sure if this is an appropriate place to post this or not so sorry if it's not. Just need to blow off some steam.
    The other day I was fishing below truman and there were several guys fishing next to me. It was apparent they were not avid fishermen . . . as in they probably only wet their lines a couple times a year. Anyway, they pulled a fish in and one guy commented it was a nice crappie so I glanced over to see a small white flopping on the end of their line. One of the other guys piped up and told him it was a largemouth not a crappie. Obviously trusting this guys judgment they all murmer in agreement. I also hear many arguements over what type of catfish has just been reeled in and most of the time they get it wrong. Many times I have tried to help them out by politely offering my advice (I don't know everything there is to know but I at least can tell my fish apart) and most of the time I get a cold shoulder. I know this is something I should not get mad at, but it really peed me off. I have nothing against new fishers, in fact I love seeing people getting hooked on the sport. However, it annoys the crap out of me when people that never fish think they know everything about it. Am I the only one that gets annoyed by this? Should I just bear with it to help the expansion of our sport or am I justified in my irritation?

2. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Don't let it bother you as there will always be critics against anything good happening. Some times there are people out there that do not want any help. It really all depends on the circumstance also. Sometimes you are better off keeping your mouth shut and chuckle under your breath.

3. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    After receiving a cold shoulder, I think I would have just packed up and found another spot. As big as that place is I'm thinking that would have been what I would have done. Saying anything with people the way they are today may have gotten you a knuckle sandwich,so it's best to keep quiet and just move on. JMHO Have a great day!:smile2:

4. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the bank!

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Don't let it bother you. Not everyone has as much knowledge as the next guy. A lot of fishing knowledge is past down from one fisherman to another, and many times what starts out wrong stays wrong.

Lend some knowledge when you can, and don't be offende when it is not readily accepted. People may think, that you think, they are stupid. This is where the defense mechanism comes in.

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    As you get older you will learn to just laugh about it and go on. Obviously they do not take what they are doing seriously or just never were around anyone to teach them. I was trying to catch skip's the other day and was giving the guy next to me the sand bass I was catching and in turn he was giving me some skip's. He got a call and I heard him say ma were having crappie for supper. I just laughed to myself and never told him any different:lol: . As long as he was giving me skip's I didn't care what he called them :lol: .

7. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Hey [777] you sure he wasn't giving you drum???:lol:

8. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Could've been:tounge_out: , Cut them perty white rocks out of there heads and the rest of it makes pretty good cut bait:lol: .

9. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Learn to relax and enjoy the free Mo. entertainment:big_smile: :lol:

10. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Young man listen to Jon.Fishing is what I do for myself to maintain my sanity in this world.I let no one disrupt that.Fishing is where I go that there is no distraction except the twitch of a line,the rod slamming down or a cork going under.I DONT want to think about anything else when I am doing it because it is my private personal therapy.If the guy next to me wants to call a channel a blue, its his fish.Imparting the correct name is important to children when they are starting.Otherwise smile, look up at the beautiful blue sky with the pretty white clouds and say a private prayer of thanks to God for letting you be there that day(and for the amusing entertainment) Some things dont need correcting.:lol:

11. bwillaub

bwillaub New Member

State:
    missouri
    Jnor, that's a nice carp in your pic.:lol: Just kiddin. Everybody knows that's a catfish. Ignorance is all around us. I must admit tho....I have seen more since I moved to this state than I ever did anyplace else I ever lived. Hope it's not something in the water!:crazy:

Just pass along your knowledge to them. Remember they could be airmen at Whiteman who never had anyone to take them fishing when they were growing up. They would probably accept your wisdom with open arms. I know I would.

Good fishing to ya.

12. Jnorman

Jnorman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the advice guys. It's not that I want to show people I know more than them, I just want to pass on the knowledge I've learned over the years that I think would be beneficial. And I don't have a problem with those that are eager to learn and admit they do not know much. That is the quickest way to learn, admit your ignorance so others can teach you. Like you guys said, I guess I need to relax and not let others ruin my fun.

13. bwillaub

bwillaub New Member

State:
    missouri
    1. Where in MO are you?
    2. Where did you catch that fish?

Inquiring minds want to know.

14. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    Jared, It is called people watching. Sometime it is more fun to watch people than it is to watch the monkeys at the zoo. Don't believe me , just sit at a boat ramp on a holiday when all the novice boaters come out.
    Best to keep opinions to ones self unless asked.

15. Jnorman

Jnorman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm from Oak Grove (about thirty miles east of KC) and I caught the fish below truman dam.

16. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    nice fish there