Irrigation, turf help for you

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by zappaf19, Jun 11, 2006.

1. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I have worked in the in ground irragation biz for 18 years. If you have turf questions or irragation questions please feel free to ask.
    Bill:smile2:

2. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hey Bill, I have overseeded about 25# of fescue every yr in my yard, which is more than is needed for reseeding, but i believe in overkill.:smile2: But I always have these little clumps of what I beleive is called "watergrass" in a few places. it looks like grass but grows alot faster and is lighter colored.

Is there any spray for this stuff, or would I have to use roundup, till and reseed every little spot? Just curious. Thanks Stan

3. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I believe the grass you are talking about is used on putting greens. I see 2 choices here. Dig up the spots making sure that you get all the roots or go with the round up. I would go with the round up! Be careful when spraying. Try do the spraying on a calm day (no wind) because the drift will kill the surrounding turf. One thing about round up is more is NOT better. If you mix to much you will just burn the leaves off and not kill the roots. Your problem will grow back. I over kill on the seed myself. LOL When you reseed after the round up has done it's job step on the seed you put down. Not hard just walk on it. Helps it stay in place and helps the seed start growth quicker.
    Bill

4. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Zosia (sp), is there a way to kill it? My grass doesn't recognize boundry lines between yard and garden or yard and flower beds.
    Round up doesn't dent it.
    Used motor oil, accidentally spilled, doesn't dent it.
    Street in front of the house didn't slow it down, now all the neighbors have it.
    It's worse than a cross between muliflora rose and kudzu.

5. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    WOW round up won't kill it?!!!!!!!!!!!!! Try this this mow your yard again then right after you mow and I mean right after spray round up again. With the leaf/ blade just cut the blade /leaf of the grass is not sealed closed so to speak. That stuff is nasty. I will look up in my books to see what else can be done.
    For your garnden and flower beds your best bet is to pull the grass out and then put a pre emergent like preen , baland etc on the beds. A pre emergent forms a vapor barriar (sp) that works by as the plant just comes to the surface it kills it off. Keep in ming that you can NOT plant seeds. Please let me know how this works on the grass in your yard.
    Bill

6. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    oops forgot to tell you to put one or 2 DROPS (per gal) of dish washing liquid in with your round up. It works as a tacifirer (sp) (makes the chem stick to the leaf better)
    Bill