Iron Chef America 4/29/06--Secret Ingredient--channel catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by khensu0213, Apr 30, 2006.

1. khensu0213

khensu0213 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hi Brothers.

Last night, I flipped on Iron Chef America on the food network, and the battle ingredient was channel catfish. I am very sad to report that neither of the chefs created any dish that looked even remotely appealing to me.:sad2: There was no southern fried catfish, hush puppies, rice, cole slaw....none of the good stuff. They were making all this gourmet crap that basically looked like a big waste of some good eating sized channels.

In spite of the crappy dishes they made, it was still cool to see catfish as the secret ingredient on the show....

2. frosty_whiskers

frosty_whiskers New Member

State:
    Texas
    catfish carpachio (thin slices of raw fish covered with herlom tomato drippings). I believe that one of the judges said that the fish had a muddy flavor. catfish shouldn't have a muddy flavor. but there was something in the halfbaked way they cleaned the fish that made me realize that muddy flavor would come out in the tasting.

3. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    I saw that too.... What did not make much sense to me was one dish was prepared with the skin on.

I am assumeing that the fish were farm raised.?. With that in mind I would conclude that the judges remark (?muddy flavor?) was an attempt to be a butthead (not my first choice of words, but it will do). I have yet to ever have any farm raised catfish taste muddy. Although I have had fresh fish taste muddy due to improper preparation.

All in all, it was interesting to watch. But I don't think I will be e-mailing them for recipes.

David Frantz

4. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    Wish i could of seen it, or maybe not, if the dishes looked like crap.

5. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Was a repeat, but worth watching. Pretty cool to say the least.

6. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    If the all those master cheffs realy want to learn about how to fix catfish that is realy good and actually worth eating all they need to do is come watch some of us good ol boys clean and cook em.

7. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I didn't think it was LEGAL to cook catfish without hushpuppies, coleslaw, and tater salad! Next your gonna tell me they served it with white wine!