irked again by the local news

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Scott Daw, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    We just got a new baseball stadium built and there was a contest to name the mascot which is a pig. The team is called the iron pigs. So the name that was picked was "pork chop". Thats a cute name. its a tasty cut of meat (atleast when I cook, but dont tell mom). Its just announced that they had to rename him because the name was offensive to the spanish community. Im so sick of this political correctness stuff. its a mascot thats a pig. we eat pigs. its named for food. whats wrong with that? They renamed him ferrous (for iron) to replace pork chop. There goes the language and now even our national past time. Im starting thinking my grandparents were wrong to immigrate here, The country is getting a swirly and we're not allowed to say anything about it.

2. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i honestly dont know the significance of the name "pork chop". could someone enlighten me?

if it is as offensive as "beaner" or "wet back" (no offense intended--only used as refrence) i am curious to know in what way.

and for the record i dont really have an opinion one way or the other, i am just curious.

3. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    ME TOO BAITCHUNKER......POLITICAL CORRECTNESS HUH!!!:beat_plaster::beat_plaster::go:

4. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    i'm half mexican & i don't see where it would be offensive at all!!!!!:eek:oooh:

5. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i am really curious now. i would pm some of the mexican members of the boc, but if it is truly offrnsive i dont wanna start any trouble.:eek:oooh:

6. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Scott, thats just the way the ball is bouncing these days.:crazy:

7. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    you know this is getting ridiculous. i was watching the news this morning (had duty last night so i was really bored) and they cut to a story out of charlotte NC. they were talking about the problems they were having there with illegals, and they interview one illegal alien that had been arested 6, yes 6 times in the last 2 years. charges ranging from drunk driving all the way to felony assault with a deadly weapon. my question is, why the heck isnt this guy locked up for life? and i am also curious as to why the term "pork chop" is offensive to the mexican community. i mean i could understand if you are fat or something, but this is getting ridiculous.

8. SHARON FLEMING

SHARON FLEMING New Member

State:
    IOWA
    I don't know what it means either.
    :angry:

9. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Hey Joey not all Spanish people are Mexican. I don't really know the real story behind the "Pork Chop" thing,but these days this generation is always changing. :eek:oooh:

10. SpaceAce

SpaceAce New Member

State:
    w
    Pork Chop along with Pork And Cheese are slurs against Portuguese because they sound similar.

11. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    hey philly ...like the new avatar dude

12. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    There are people who I believe sits around and thinks of ways for something to offend them. It is ridiculous to have to be so "politically correct."

13. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Im half mexican and the name pork chop does not offend me at all. You could call him carnitas or ham or bacon and it still wouldnt bother me. I think ferrous is more offensive, refering to the iron workers up your way.

14. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Its the local puerto rican community not the mexicans that were having issues. I've never heard of pork chop being used like cracker or something else before and Ive lived in the city since 89'. Now if they were refering to cleaning products then I'd say yeah I've heard (& on rare occassion used) that one but never have I ever heard of someone being offended by pork chop. I dont even know of anyone white thats offended by being called cracker. My wife lived in the stix before we met and she never knew cracker was a racial slur against white people. now her friends & I use it as a nickname for her. she's not offended by it.

15. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Man is this PC stuff ever going to end?
    Bill

16. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Now before anyone gets upset. I am not a bigot, but am selectively predjudice. People are people and should be treated the same regardless of who they are or where they came from but if, as an individual, you set yourself apart to earn said predjudice then you shouldnt complain when you get it. That goes for caucasions, hispanics, african americans and anyother person on the planet. We're equals until you decide to be scum.

17. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    oh i am well aware that not all spanish people or people of spanish descent are mexican, philly. there are pueta ricans, cubans, dominicans, central americans, the list contains more than i care to write down. i just couldnt figure out why it was the mexicans saying something. come to find out they arent. my bad.

18. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    When I was working as a short order cook a number of years ago( 8-9). I was working with a few mexicans who were great people but most of the customers were P.R. Occassionally there'd be arguing for what ever reason (it was in spanish). I asked and he said that mexicans & pr's dont get along well. he said it was because mexicans do what they can to come here to work and the prs come here to not work. but I dont know how true it is. I just took his word for it at the time.

19. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    if they were offended they should have went home! politicaly correct, tuff! this is america, at least for a while yet. i wouldnt go to another country and expect it to change for me would you?

20. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pork+chop
    Pork Chop is a slang word referring to Portuguese people. It is not offensive to call someone of Portuguese decent a Pork Chop because it is considered humorous and endearing. Portuguese people refer to themselves as Pork Chops all the time and it has nothing to do with overweight women. portugues people are very laid back and friendly. Men are extreemly sexy and romantic and will do anything for his family and loved ones. Portuguese women are beautiful inside and out and are very strong willed. They are forgiving people but they never forget especially when they are wronged. The only real offensive thing you could say to a Portuguese person is that they are spanish..they are NOT spanish.

http://www.abc.net.au/newsradio/txt/s1627975.htm
    According to the Macquarie Dictionary it means “behaving in a silly manner”. But, why? Well, there are two slang uses of the expression pork chop – both American in origin. From the 1940s in the US pork chop was a nickname for a full-time union official. It was a contemptuous expression. It implied that such union officials were self-interested – in the job for what they could get out of it. Port chop is also recorded from the 1970s as black American slang for an African American who still has the subservient ideology of the Old South. Of those two I suspect that “carrying on like a pork chop” derives from the union official – with the added implication of being useless and a waste of space.