Iowans Hangin the Rods up?

Discussion in 'LOCAL IOWA TALK' started by Ahquabi_Master, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    I know it's gettin cool fast - just wondering how many of you are still fishing. I'm still going out as often as I can but the bite's pretty much stopped dead. Any one on the same page as me? What are you using to catch?

2. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I'm still fishing! In fact a good friend of mine and I went out on the Mississippi River down here at Montrose,Iowa today. We had a pretty fair day catching 20 nice channel cats. We didn't keep anything over 5 lbs.,but brought in 12 nice eating size fish. I plan on fishing until it gets so cold I can't stand it as long as they keep biting.

3. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I'm done for the year. Still 4 to 6 weeks for the shoulder to heal and the boat still needs the lower unit installed.
    Hope to get the lower unit done next sat.
    Good luck to all
    just

4. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I CALLED ER QUITS LAST WEEK BUT ONLY BECAUSE I HAVE SOME ISSUES ON MY TRAILER AND I WANT TO GOTO THE BOC NATIONAL GATHERING... I KNOW IF I DO NOT PLAN AHEAD IT WILL BE A BUST SO.........WE HAVE TO DO ER. I WILL BE ONE OF THE FIRST OUT THOUGH AND I STILL MIGHT CALL ON A FRIEND OR GO BANK FISHIN EVENTHOUGH I FIND IT HARD NOT TO FISH OUT OF THE BOAT ANYMORE.

5. dano40

dano40 New Member

State:
    Spirit lake, Iowa
    Catfish are still biting but it is time to catch walleyes.

6. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I'm with Gordhawk on this issue. I don't mind a little cold. I think that all of the shivering while in the boat attracts catfish fish like crazy. LOL Later Andy

7. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I'm going out again this Sunday am. We have been out for the past 7 weekends and have caught channels on each of them. The bite has been "reel" good... Shad or chicken liver seems to be the ticket. 'Tis cooling rapidly though.
    Might be the last weekend for this season. Maybe. :confused2:

8. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia
    c'mon, dont be a traiter to the cats. only time you can be a traiter is during hunting season.:roll_eyes:..... until march , i unfortunately retire. .... unless anyone can show me a spot that you can kill a limit of mallards and catch nice channels at the same time...

will still be around to shoot the bull. for those of you non hunters and and non serious catters good luck to ya if still at it.:big_smile:

9. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia
    plus that dang mississippi is so high and fast. how are ya fishin gordy? slack waters or using 8 oz sinkers?

10. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    It's nice to know that I'm not the only one still braving the cold to get some bites. I guess I haven't tried livers all year either so I might try that tomorrow morning- I think the weather is supposed to be decent then. A Funny thing is I found a crappie hole while jigging for sunfish to use for bait and have been stocking up on those fillets every time I'm not catching cats. I sure wouldn't mind catching a few more 3/4 pounders though...