iowa winter catfishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL IOWA TALK' started by whodaman, Feb 9, 2008.

1. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    As many know when you go ice fishing your chances of pulling a catfish through that ice is pretty low, unless you know where to go and what to do.
    First things first find the deepest part of the pond/lake this is where going to your favorite farm pond will help. A lot of the time you already know where the deep spots are and you can just go right to them if you don't know where the deep parts of the pond are either use a depth finder or just start drilling holes and drop a line in to see what kind of depth your fishing in. Second you need bait you could use wax worms but how is the catfish going to smell that . The way to do it is chumming get so much scent in that water that any catfish in a 30 yard circle is certain to come check it out. its cold so your not gonna get hard hits so dont use a huge chuck of bait I like to use a small piece of bluegill with the skin on and remember take your knife and scrape off those scales this will get the oils in the skin to come out and will only aide in the chumming process well. I suggest to drill a few holes so you can fish many different depths, i like to go one line about 4 or 5 inches off the bottom and then another line 1 to 2 feet off the bottom and then another 3 to 4 feet off the bottom Hope this helps and good luck and dont forget take a kid fishing