Iowa Waterfowlers?

Discussion in 'LOCAL IOWA TALK' started by thegavel, Oct 23, 2008.

1. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Hey there,

Just got back from Sportsmans Warehouse and strung up 2 dozen new mallard decoys...

Who is out there hunting those ducks?

Any forecast on the season?

Anyone want to meet up in or around Des Moines?

2. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    chris i usuallly try to hunt ducks but it seems our boc brothers in iowa shoot them all and all we have left are the coots :wink:

3. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Sorry bro, I will try to save you a few this year :wink:

I am headed out in about 4 hours to see what is coming south... a little early in the year for the big migrations yet, but I am pretty confident.

It will be my first solo hunt of the year, can't wait to run my new spread!

Good luck this year

4. mikeskywalker

mikeskywalker New Member

State:
    IOWA
    So you hung up your Flathead decoys and got the duck's out....

5. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    That I have brother... went out for a solid 3 hours today, took 1 shot at a goose. saw a couple small (groups of 3 or 4) Mallards and that is about it...

Beautiful morning though, tons of rain, a light fog and even a glimpse of the sunrise... It is still early.

Ducks 1 Chris 0

6. vic.jefferson

vic.jefferson New Member

State:
    iowa
    good luck and happy huntting

7. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Thanks bro, numbers are starting to slowly speak up. I just went out and got another call and have been doing alright, still no ducks, but a rough story so far...

I went out Thursday morning, set up my decoys, started working a flock of 15 - 20 mallards, had them coming in real low, easy shootin, but it was before shooting hours. All of a sudden some A$$&#@ came up behind me about 20 yrds away... BOOM BOOM BOOM... three shots, three misses, all 15 mins before shooting hours... scared the whole flock away...:angry::angry::angry::angry:

I gave him 3 seconds to get the hell away from me... I asked how he would like three duck loads in his a$$ and he took off running, jerk didn't even have decoys or a call... :angry::angry::angry::angry:

Going out again tomorrow morning if all goes well...

8. mikeskywalker

mikeskywalker New Member

State:
    IOWA
    Shit Chris .... Steve said he got you ......... Damn liar !!!!! LOL LOL LOL

9. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Finally got in to some ducks today, got 3 mallards (2 drake, 1 hen) a goose, and a hen shoveler...

Gave the goose to someone I was hunting with because it wouldn't fit in my freezer :embarassed:

10. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    You need a bigger freezer dude!

If a goose won't fit in your freezer how ya goinna stuff a deer in it? Speaking of deer...We're making jerky and deer sticks sometime this weekend.