Iowa/Skunk/Des Moines River

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by IaCAT, Jun 29, 2008.

1. IaCAT

IaCAT New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I recently moved to Newton/Grinnell area from the western part of the state little over a month ago. I'm not to familiar with this area and I'm starting to venture out to the local rivers. Anyone hit up the Iowa river near Marshalltown/Tama/Merango? Or the Skunk?

I hit up the tailwaters at Red Rock about a month ago and caught a few nice ones. I mainly fish for Channel, but I'm going to try for some Flats this summer.

So anyone have any pointers as to where some decent places to go?

2. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Welcome to the BOC Brandon
    I sometimes fish the Iowa and the Skunk but I live only 30 miles from the Mississippi so I can't offer any help as far away as you are wanting to fish.
    There is plenty of water in all 3 rivers down here right now.
    I'm guessing a month til things settle down around here.
    the best to ya and good luck
    just

3. IaCAT

IaCAT New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks for the reply. I know the Des Moines have Flatties in it, so I'm excited to have that opportunity. I'd like to find some access on the Skunk and Iowa rivers. I've been wanting to go for a drive and see what's out there but the water is still up.

I look forward to fishing some of these big rivers. When I lived in the western part of the state we'd knock em dead on the Maple and Soldier rivers (creeks basically) and the Little Sioux.

This site is full of information. Wow!

4. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    When looking for new access points, you might want to consider using Google Maps where you can zoom around the rivers...

If you ever make it down around Des Moines let me know, I know there are a few of us around here!!!

Welcome to the Brother hood

5. IaCAT

IaCAT New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks Chris. I've been looking on Google Earth at some of the rivers in my area. Looks like there is lots of opportunities over here. I just wish I had a boat.

If I make it over that way I'll let you guys know. Des Moines is only about an hour from my house.

6. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    You already fish a great place for flatties in the tailwaters of Redrock, I know a guy that pulls 60lbers out alot and has stumbled on a 80lber.... All he will tell me is that the hole is about a mile down from the dam.....If you find it be sure to let a brother know!!! LOL!!!

7. IaCAT

IaCAT New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks for info Steve. I'll be hitting up the tailwaters once the water goes down. I'm not sure how to attack the tailwaters yet. I'll pry fish the faster water?