Iowa river

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by justwannano, Jun 10, 2008.

1. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Just a note for you river watchers
    The Iowa at Wapello is supposed to crest sometime between sunday and tuesday at 31.5'. Thats 2 feet above its historical crest.
    Now boys thats a lot of water.

Hows it doin in your neck of the woods.

have a good one
    just

2. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Bob it aint good fer the home team we have raging rivers all round and more water expected....the last I saw the Sippi is supose to crest monday round 23 feet -it was 28 in 93 -sure is reaking havoc on my fishing season I am a fair water fair weather fisher :angry:

3. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    Yeah Kenny I know what you mean.
    The skunk was up into the yards of the cabins along the river below Oakland a couple of days ago.
    I sure wouldn't have difficulty launching my boat right now.
    You couldn't see any of the concrete at the ramp you used Sunday. BTW How'd you do fishin?

I hear they are evacuating Oakville on the Iowa.
    Kinda wish I'd spent some money I didn't have and got that fishing crossbow I'd been looking at last winter. :angry:Oh yeah I needed the money to fix the boat so I could go fishing this spring.:roll_eyes:

Later just

4. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    The river up here in Burlington is supposed to crest at 24.0 foot Wednesday. It was 25.1 in 1993. Burlington Steamboat days is having their last concert tonight. The concerts for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday have been cancelled. Theres alot of unhappy people who spent 50 dollars for a ticket to see the concerts and there isnt a refund. Electricity is being shut off downtown tomorrow. Gas has been shut off in Pontoosuc and Rio Vista. Hopefully it drops fast. I dont feel like going to work in hipwaders.

5. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    Just recieved word that they are mandatory evacuating the area from Oakville to the Hawkeye Dolby ditch. Everyone is to be out by 8am monday.Thats Louisia and Des Moines countys and includes north and east to the ferry landing which is the mouth of the Iowa.Hawkeye Dolby is about half way to Burlington from Oakville.
    I quick figured its about 4800++ acres all bottom land.
    My son called and said they, the ag company he works for, have equipment down there.
    Best of luck to those affected
    just

6. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    They wont let you go over the hill near the river here-I asked I want to go fish in the parking lot at the riverfront:roll_eyes: I havnt looked at the guage yet but we are way high-tommorow we are gonna go fish a cornfield...somebody stop the madness:eek:oooh:

7. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    Hey Kenny

I've got some pix of Oakland that I'll post tomorrow.
    waters about 1 foot from the top of the powerhouse/gangway. They closed the Oakland store at 8pm tonight. Musta been 100 folks down there gawking.

Hoping to get to wapello/oakville tomorrow to get pix of that. It won't crest til around monday.

8. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    For you folks that haven't noticed we got a little rain around here recently.
    The predicted crest at Wapello has been revised to 35.5 feet.
    Thats 15 feet over flood stage and just short of 5.5 feet over the historical crest.

the best of luck to all fighting that river
    just

9. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Bob I posted some pics at ramblings - she is ripping!

10. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    they say the Missp is supose to crest 1 ft above the record set in 93 at the dam in Clarksville ,Mo. The record as of now is 37.50 ft.Thats a lot of water going through that ole dam. They have stopped all boat traffic .Pleasure or anything that floats Stay safe out there everyone.

11. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    God save all who are in the flood plane she is rising fast and furious and there is no relief in sight we are now over the great flood of 73 and climbing to 93.....

12. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    My son just called and said Hawkeye dolby ditch,aka the big ditch. has failed to hold back the water.
    Look out North Burlington Bottoms here comes the Iowa.
    Gonna be a lot of levee repairs when this thing is over.
    I'm at a loss for words
    just

13. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Big Ditch is still holding water back as of 9 p.m.

Our shop in downtown burlington is about to be done for. We are pumping 50 gallons SECOND out of the basement and it keeps rising. there is 9 foot in the basement and if it raises another foot it will be into the first floor of the building. Not good.

14. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Bob where is the pics?Me and the boy is heading fer a cornfield to fish-I am about tempted to get the canoe out fer the fields(LOL) long as you stay in the back water .....heck know them kitteys are waiting fer me!

15. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    I only took pix of the Skunk. You can find them at the Oakland mills thread.
    There are pix of where you put your boat in.
    The Skunk is dropping so fishing here probably ain't the best.
    You're gonna see plenty of water soon.
    I heard that pleasure boats are barred from area rivers until July 7. I don't understand that date.
    Might be some weird currents out there so be careful with your canoe.
    have a good one
    just

16. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    Yeah the guy that called my son was kinda confused. Thats what I get for not checking my sources.