Iowa River near Marshalltown

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by ayrhen, Sep 27, 2007.

1. ayrhen

ayrhen New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Any of you fish the Iowa River in/around Marshalltown?

I've been here about 4 years and I'm just now trying to figure out how to fish the river. I've heard that three bridges park near Legrand is a good place to fish, but I've been hitting the river here in town without much luck.

It appears as if the river above the Veterans home was ruined back in the day when they straightened the channels :angry:, so I've concentrated my efforts down stream from there. Set up on an outside bend of the river near some snags....but got nothin after about half a dozen outings. I've tried livers, crawlers, live chubs, dead shad....but got nothin. Closest I've come was last night on a dead shad. Bait clicker started makin' noise as something picked up the bait and started to move with it :big_smile:....but then it stopped and that was all for the rest of the night:sad2:. I've got a flat bottom that I plan to float down river next summer and try to map out some good holes and mark with my GPS.

At any rate, not much action on this Iowa thread. Wanted to try to spur some conversation and maybe get some advice on how you fish the Iowa.

2. graybeard

graybeard New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I fish the Iowa a fair amount, but not right in M-town. Mostly in the Montour area or on east. Don't have any special tips, sounds like you are doing things right, just give it time. One thing you might try, frogs seem to be a hot bait right now.

3. ayrhen

ayrhen New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Finally had some success last week. Left some throw lines out over night with dead shad and caught a 2 lb 6 oz channel cat. The next night I had a 1 lb 3 oz channel. It was a lot of work for 2 cats....but I think I'm developing my technique. Now I'm out of shad.

4. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Ayrhen,

I've tried all of those spots you have been trying on the Iowa river a few years ago....with about the same luck. There are plenty of fish in that river, it is just a little tricky to navigate a boat on to find all of the good holes. Just keep on trying. The water temp is going to start to cool down and they will be moving into the "predictable" locations soon and feeding like crazy.

If all else fails I would make that 40 min. drive down to Des Moines and hit the river there. I have a few spots out in the rural areas of South East Des Moines that have been very productive with some very nice quality fish all year long. 5 to 20 fish a day from 2-13 pounds on average is common....that is of course when the river conditions are right. Plus you can get enough shad in one day to last you all season.

Good luck

5. ayrhen

ayrhen New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Had a little more success lately with my bank lines. Caught a 5 pound channel yesterday and a 2 pounder (the 2 pounder slipped off the hook as I was pulling my line out of the water).

Still using dead shad and getting a little more proficient with the cast net....but still need lots of practice so I can pull in the big haul and be set for a longer period of time.

I'd like to see more people posting to these State of Iowa threads so I know how others are doing/what is successful.

6. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    ayrhen,

I know what you mean about the lack of participation on the Iowa site. I am a prime example. I use to be on this site all of the time, with the majority of my interest being in the "Iowa" site....but it always seems to be dead, I got so frustrated with it that I hardly logged on this summer until just recently. Now it is coming to the end of the fishing season for most people (not me) and it usually gets a little worse. I would love it if people would provide more info. I have no problem telling people where they are biting or if they are not biting but it doesn't do any good if no one is on to read about it. Hopefully it will pick up.