Iowa, how many flathead catfish have you caught this year?

Discussion in 'LOCAL IOWA TALK' started by Iowa_Josh, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Iowa! I know they aren't available everywhere but any success?

2. mad catter

mad catter Member

State:
    Iowa
    Zero, not much luck with those flatties.

3. Longjohn119

Longjohn119 Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    A couple of smaller ones (4-5 lbs) before the spawn but nothing of size

Then again I'm just gearing up for flatheads now that the spawn is over (or about over) and they are going to their summer holes ... I'll let you know next week after fishing below the Coralville dam this weekend .... used to be some monster flatties in there and I'm sure there still are .... probably will run some lines downstream during our all nighter Saturday night .... I've been fishing a lot of rock the past couple of years and expect to do well finding the good spots on my finder

Even if I come up short there I know a couple of good places on the Mississippi, I'm just kinda fed up with the low water (2 foot or more below normal) and canceled going to Coralville the last two years and really want to fish it now that I have a boat again ....

4. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    I know someone who caught a good 35 pounder...he's probably trying to stay quiet about it though, so ill let him tell it.

5. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia
    longjohn, i dont know what your deal is with the low water on the mississippi. there is still plenty of water for any boat to get most anywhere there are fish... granted there is no reason i think that it should be so low already.
    dont use credit island landing, use marquette boat landing and fish the wing dams down around there. i dont fish flats much at all. wouldnt they too be out in deeper water now anyways associated with wing dams and below the rollers??? In my life i have only caught about 10 flatheads, half by accident. good luck to you. dave

6. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Have not caught any as of yet. That should be changing here shortly, I hope.

7. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Ha, same for me but I didn't want to start the thread this way. I've been out more than a dozen times fishing at dams and at a nice rocky hole on the river here by des moines. A nice hole but I haven't seen a fish come out of it.

Actually, at most of the nice holes I have been to there have been people running bank poles around them. I didn't go out so much last year but this year I have seen them out more. I don't know how to avoid it because it is everywhere around me. I'm also becoming aware that stories of big fish are much more numerous than the fish themselves. I'm still hearing the same story three weeks later after some random guy caught a fish.

8. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi Josh! Well for Me the answer is a Great Big ZIPPO!!! But now that things are settleing down I should get more time on the water. J>D.Straka:lol:

9. Longjohn119

Longjohn119 Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    About low water ....

I know several good pre and post spawn sites and usually June is my best month because for water levels are high enough to fish them but once the water gets low the fish just aren't there .... I use Credit Island slough ramp because bait is very accessable, both sunfish and shad

Low water means fishing the channel which means bobbing around like a freaking cork all day long due to high traffic .... I do OK at night

As for fishing the flats, in the daytime the flatties hole up in deep water like the backside and tips of the wingdams, scour holes around the interstate bridge, etc ... at night you'll catch them coming off the front side of the wingdams and feeding on (usually) the upstream flats in 6-8 feet of water (remember there are no blowdowns in deep water to fish on this section of river) ... since I'm pretty much stuck fishing for flatheads after dark because of previously mention traffic, the flats in front of the interstate bridge and the wingdam is where they are ,,,, that's also where the better channel cats are too, I seldom catch channels below 3 pounds and generally see in the 3 1/2 to 6 pound range

I didn't do too bad last time out, a week ago tomorrow night, I brought home 6 fish with a stringer weight of 24 lbs 6 oz, especially when you consider they dropped the pool .8 feet in just the time I was out ... I also caught a 12 lb 1 z sheephead (drum) on a shad head which was kinda fun but not comparison to catching a 12 pound catfish

Now below the dam at Coralville on the other hand, the water levels stay fairly constant, only the flow changes and the flatheads are concentrated below the dam and the first couple of holes downstream ... bait is about as easy to come by as it gets, a couple of tosses of the casting net by the dam and you have enough shad for 2-3 people all night long and I can take the boat up on the reservoir Saturday and catch plenty of bait sized sunfish (usually) along the upper dam for Saturday night

My goals as a sportman is not how many I catch but total stringer weight and average size, for instance last year I averaged 3 3/4 pounds per fish in June last year, 3 1/2 pounds per fish overall and nearly always have stringer weights in excess of 25 pounds ... I'd rather catch 5 4 pounders than 20 1 pounders

Plus the bigger ones smoke so much nicer, and I got enough eater size (1-2 pounds) in May and early June to keep me for the rest of the year, I'll smoke nearly everything from here on out and release everything below 3 pounds or above 10-12 pounds

10. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have only caught 2 so far. One on the Des Moines River and One below Red Rock Dam (technically the Des Moines River as well) both fish were caught on live bluegill but both fish were under 2lbs each so it hasn't been very productive yet....

11. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia
    longjohn, thanks for the reply.. makes a whole lot of sense. me, i just like catchin cats. would probably be a little too intoxicated waiting all night long catching 4 or 5 fish if fishing for bigger ones:wink: . (unlike you, my average size fish is about 1.2# if i were to guess. ...

someday i will get on over to coralville and play around, but you can have all of my flatheads... good fishin sir.

12. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio
    iv caught 7 here in ohio this year between 2 - 26 pounds.

13. cathunter28

cathunter28 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    i have landed 4 flats 2 15lbs 1 11lbs and a 1 1/2 lbs and a 3 1/2 lbs channle and a 15lbs snapper and going back out this coming saterday