Iowa Heat wave!

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by kkyyoottee, Oct 3, 2007.

1. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Never fails bow hunting opens and we have a heat wave!!! Any deer shot better be found immediately. Now since there are members on here from the south how do you guys keep your deer cooled down till you get to where you are going to process it!!! I normaly wont hunt in evening in fear of arrowing one and not finding it till next morning. Does the heat alter your hunting? I am sure we all will get some great ideas from each other. Thanks Will

2. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    When I am hunting a hot weather area. There is a couple of things that I do differnetly.
    1. Prepare yourself ...Bottle of water, Insect repellant you get the idea
    2. Make sure that you have a good clean shot....deer stopped broadside, no branches in the way etc.
    3. I carry a cooler full of ice in the bag to stuff the body cavity after I get the deer to the truck. Block Ice stays frozen longer but ice cubes go further up in the cavity. I always leave it in the bag.
    4. Have a plan on what you are going to do when you get it. Where you are taking it to get it processed or where there is a cooler you can store it in then drive like hell to get it there.

3. tkyhnt

tkyhnt New Member

State:
    Missouri
    A good clean shot is critical so a quick recovery can be assured. That said after recovery I will always stop by and pick up some bags of ice at the nearest store. If I am hunting with a partner I will try to find a stream to aid in cooling of the deer. Since I process my own harvest I will quarter it up and put in a cooler until and keep it on ice until I can complete the processing. Good luck its warming up here in MO as well.

4. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i process my own deer also. i have a refrigerator in the garage with the shelves and the drawers taken out of it. it has a whole 130 pound doe in it as we speak. anything bigger, i'll skin it and quarter it up. i also use a garden host to clean out the cavity and help start cooling it before i put it in. let it drip for a bit and shove it in. it also has child-proof locks on the doors so it does'nt come open.