Iowa Fishing Regulations

Discussion in 'IOWA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by BoCaHoLiC, Apr 1, 2006.

1. BoCaHoLiC

BoCaHoLiC New Member

State:
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Does anyone know if its legal to chum waters for catfishing in Iowa? I looked in the reg's but couldn't find any info. Thanks.

2. MilwaukeeCatHunter

MilwaukeeCatHunter New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Man, that's a good question. Sorry...I don't have the answer, but I've been having the same issue up here in WI. I couldn't find it in our fishing regs when I skimmed them. Maybe give a call to the local Dept. of Natural Resources Office? I think that's what I am gonna have to do.

3. graybeard

graybeard New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I've never found it in the regulations either, but I read somewhere (unofficially) that it was legal. I would guess as long as it's not prohibited in the rules, its legal. (but don't bet the farm on my say-so) When I'm using liver, I'll throw out small chunks a lot of times, and pour the blood off into the water. Don't know if it helps, but I figure it can't hurt.

4. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Josh, I asked the same question in a thread a while ago and didnt get any response. I check the regs. book and didnt see anything about it there either:confused: . Long story short. I made a few chummin sticks and figure on using them until I hear differently. Hope they work! Just my opinion! Stan:)

5. BoCaHoLiC

BoCaHoLiC New Member

State:
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    I just sent a couple of e-mails to the Iowa DNR. I'll let you know if/when I find out anything. Thanks.

6. MilwaukeeCatHunter

MilwaukeeCatHunter New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Guys...I did some looking around on the Iowa DNR site, and there is a law prohibiting depositing any "debris" in lakes and bodies of water in Iowa. For what it's worth, I also checked Wisconsin regs again, and I finally found out that things are similar up here. The only way you can chum in WI is if you can pull the chum out of the water when done. (ie a mesh bag on a string) I would assume that this is the only way you can do it in Iowa too. However, please let me know what your DNR says, as I might make it into Iowa this year to fish.

7. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Milwaukee, thats how mine work. they are on a 30 ft cord which I can pull it back in with. Very simple to make. So as long as I can retrieve them, I am ok right? I hope so!:)

8. BoCaHoLiC

BoCaHoLiC New Member

State:
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Here is the email I received the other day regarding chumming in Iowa.
    REGARDING CHUMMING

Good afternoon Josh,

Thank you for using the Iowa DNR website. Chumming generally is legal
    but the type and quantity of materials may be considered polluting. If
    you are chumming in a private pond or lake no restrictions are in place
    as long as you have landowner permission. In public waters, there would
    definitely be a concern by our agency regarding how much and what type
    of material you "chum" with. We do have the listing of our conservation
    officers phone numbers in our regulations booklet if you have additional
    questions or concerns.

Thank you,
    Webmaster, IDNR
    dsm

I would surmise that chumming with the "basic" chumming ingredients(grain, bait fish, etc) are fine. I guess as long as I'm not chumming with something toxic/harmful, I'll be alright.