Iowa Cabelas

Discussion in 'LOCAL IOWA TALK' started by Wolfdog, May 11, 2008.

1. Wolfdog

Wolfdog New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I thought I would ask.

Subject Discussion Thread Response (Heidi V.)05/09/2008 07:39 PMHello Mike,

Thank you for your inquiry. Cabela's has revised its 2008 retail expansion plans, focusing on opening two retail stores in the coming year in Rapid City, South Dakota and Scarborough, Maine. Previous, the company had announced seven planned store openings in 2008. Current plans call for two additional stores to be opened in 2009.
    The 2009 locations will be Billings, Montana and East Rutherford, New Jersey. We are reviewing previously announced locations as well as other opportunities for 2009 and beyond. At this time, there are no immediate plans for a location in Iowa.

Reasons for slowing retail expansion include a challenging retail environment and a re-focused commitment to best serving Cabela's core customers through existing retail and direct channels.
    Cabela's plans to continue to expand its retail footprint as opportunities in the market arise and economic conditions dictate.
    We will continue to refine our store format to better serve the needs of our retail customers.
    Sincerely,
    Heidi

2. vtjefferson

vtjefferson New Member

State:
    IA
    it be nice to have one in iowa hard to plan a vac to shop for sportting goods i could spend a week in one of there stores

3. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    well atleast we are geting a bass pro both are great stores cant help but have a huge smile on my face everytime i get to walk into one of them

4. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    They had also planned to open a store in Greenwood Indiana this year. It made the papers and all, but last I heard that store is on hold as well now.:sad2:

5. Wolfdog

Wolfdog New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Yes we are getting a Bass Pro in ( Altoona) by Des Moines Iowa. I guess it will have to do, Right!!! :wink:

6. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I had the opportunity to shop at Sportsman Warehouse in Des Moines, Iowa. I believe the fishing department has a better selection than any Cabelas I have been too. :wink:

7. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    I was also in that Sportsmans Warehouse up in Des Moines. That place has anything and everything you could ever imagine to do with fishing. Very good prices too.

8. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Glad that someone asked this question as I have heard the rumors myself.

I am fortunate to live close to Jordan Creek Mall that has a Scheel's and only about a half hour from sportsmans warehouse, and the new bass pro shop. From what I hear there is also a great place in Casey's baitshop in down town des moines somewhere...

Still seems hard to find what I am looking for when I am looking for it...

7/0 circle hooks are virtually impossible to come by not to mention the large 3 way swivels... GRRRRRR

9. CatOly

CatOly New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    The Bass Pro Shop will be cool. Bass Pro's don't always carry a lot of catfish gear, but if there is not a lot of catfish gear when they open in December, ask for a better selection, and tell your friends to tell them also. They have access to a lot of good gear, and will stock it if there is demand.

Also if you live in eastern Iowa, there is a Cabela's in Prairie Du Chen, Wisconsin. It's right across the river from Marquette, IA. It's a small one, but there's a 600,000 square foot warehouse there. You can order from the catalog in the back of the store, and it will be brought out of the warehouse!:wink:

10. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    If a Cabela's opened up in Iowa.....I'd go broke! But man would I ever have some cool stuff!!!

A new Bass Pro might have the same results. When is the Altoona store suposed to open?:big_smile:

11. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    IIRC thats the home of the original store.

12. CatOly

CatOly New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    The Bass Pro Shop is scheduled to be opened in December.

Cabelas is from Nebraska, Sidney I think. The Prairie Du Chen store and warehouse are only about 10 years old.