Iowa brothers

Discussion in 'LOCAL IOWA TALK' started by redwiskers, Jan 15, 2007.

1. redwiskers

redwiskers New Member

State:
    iowa
    I was just wondering where in iowa are you from and what is some of the better fishing waters around you. I am in the Des Moines area, I tend to fish the Raccoon and Des Moines rivers mostly.

2. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    I am from Ogden by Boone I fish Des Moines river and saylorville with yearly trips to Ga to fish the Altamaha.

3. redwiskers

redwiskers New Member

State:
    iowa
    Do you fish the spillway of the lake at salorville

4. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I am from South of Des Moines about 20 minutes and I fish the Des Moines river and the Raccoon as well. I fish the Des Moines river mostly east of Des MOines around Pleasant Hill and Hartford and then I fish the Raccoon mostly in Adel. These 2 flats in my picture are from the Raccoon river.

5. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    My heart is still in Iowa... I fish the Des Moines River at Fort Dodge and lake Ahquabi in Indianola most frequently. I have pulled some nice fish out of both!

Hope to get back home soon!

6. redwiskers

redwiskers New Member

State:
    iowa
    Nice to meet you thegravel and Pylodicits Olivaris. I've heard good things about the Raccoon around Adel, can it be fished from shore or is it a boat only area.

7. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Welcome to the BOC! I live in Montrose,Iowa in S.E. corner of state, on the mighty Mississippi River. Since I only live 4 blocks away from the river,most of my fishing is done in the area where I live. Why travel,when you got as good as there is in your own back yard.LOL
    Anyway,welcome aboard mate!!
    Glenn

8. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Gordhawk is right, if you want to fish a real river come on down to Keokuk, 10 miles south of Montrose. later Andy

9. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I'm from Mt Pleasant. SE corner of the state.
    I fish the Skunk if there is enough water to put the boat in. If not then the ol Mississippi is about 30 miles E. I fish around the Huron Island chain. The Iowa dumps into the Miss a few miles above. I've been known to wet a line in her too.

Welcome Redwhiskers

10. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    I fish mostly below the dam, I f I am with someone that has a boat I will fish the river downstream or the main lake.

11. redwiskers

redwiskers New Member

State:
    iowa
    I am planing a weekend trip to fish the mississippi this summer, havent decided on a date or a location but I'm going.

12. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hey Kevin!! Welcome to the BOC!! I live in Sw Iowa, in Elk Horn. I fish a few lakes and farm ponds we have around here and am planning on fishing the Mo. River more this summer.
    If you're ever in the neighborhood, let me know! I'll show you how to get skunked in this area! :happy:

13. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hi Kevin,

I'm from Tiffin near Iowa City. I mostly fish Coralville Reservoir which is one of the finest catfish reservoirs in the state. Recently, I've gotten into drifting and trolling for channels with some unbelievable outings to show for it. Someday, I'd like to try drifting in Saylorville.

I've also fished Red Rock which is not too far a drive for you. Red Rock is a great catfishing Reservoir and the boat traffic is about 1/4 that of Coralville. I'm probably going to make a trip over to the Miss. which is about 45 minutes away if I go to Muscatine. Friends tell me it's much easier to catch 10+ lb cats there but the fishing can be so good on Coralville it's hard to get me to move to new waters.

I've made 3 trips down to Warsaw, MO to fish both Truman and LOZ. If you wanna catch big blues, it's hard to beat. My big down there is 25 lbs, however a nephew went down there at the end of November and caught a 53 lber.

Good luck to you!

Mike.

14. redwiskers

redwiskers New Member

State:
    iowa
    Mike
    It sounds like you have a few really good spots. Are you anywhere near the Cedar river, I've heard of some good fishing there.

I've fished saylorville many times from both land and boat but never really had much luck. I perfer to fish just bellow the dam from shore. I've caught several big cats there. The only draw back is that I lose a lot of tackle in the rocks.

Thanks

15. dano40

dano40 New Member

State:
    Spirit lake, Iowa
    I'm from Spirit Lake I fish the Little Sioux and the Des Moines river and of course the Iowa Great Lakes here. I also go up to the Minnesota river for flatheads several times every year.

16. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Is there such thing as an Iowa gathering? I hear of a lot of them, but they all seem pretty far away!

Just curious

17. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    J.D.Here, I'm from Council Bluffs Ia. And I have a Cabin on th Mssouri River at Blenco Ia. and I fish for Flatheads there,and that strech of river holds some big Boys #50 pound Plus.I also Love to driftfish for channel cat and Green valley lake just 4 miles north of Creston Ia. is great ! You can Knock them Dead on that lake day or night.only issue there is that You have to be off the lake at 10pm at night,although if your camping you can fish from the bank all nght,and there is some limited acess from the east side of the lake and I believe you can fish there all night without camping.I also like to fish Mazingo lake just outside of Marysvill Mo. which is also a Super channel cat lake.J.D

18. redwiskers

redwiskers New Member

State:
    iowa
    Thanks for the posts guys. I hope to get out of my area at least a few times this summer and maybe hit some new waters. My son is a wrestler and we spend all summer running around Iowa to tournys on weekends. We usually come straight home after but I think we'll stay overnight now and then and do some fishing.

thanks

19. redwiskers

redwiskers New Member

State:
    iowa
    So I got my pic to show up on my posts. It only took me all morning to get it right and to decide witch pic to use. Now when I post people know who they are talking to. Its a good thing I'm better with a fishing pole than I am with a keyboard. The good looking guy in the pic is my buddy Rosco.

20. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Kevin, Rosco is a good looking hound!:cool2: Bassets have such good personalities! Nice Avatar! Reps to ya for getting it up so quickly!