Iowa bird fishing (LOL)

Discussion in 'LOCAL IOWA TALK' started by catfish kenny, Aug 31, 2009.

1. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    well I didnt have the camera but we had plenty whitnesses laughing at me and my lill brother tryin to get a pissed off pelican untangled...this bird missed two lines and got me (LOL) cocmocosied right in my line think he saw the shad chunk fly and was giong fer the hook .after that freebee (LOL)...damb birds aint small and was ticked to no end ...45 min to wear his butt out so we could free him after I almost drowned the foo ....hey they got no sence of humor we gott a couple nice welts from that firebird (LOL) oh well thats life on the sipp ya dont know whats gonna happen next(LOL)...I saved the savage but bout 1 more welt and he was gonna eat Miss Kittey(LOL) THAT CRAPOLEE HURT(lol)

2. rippinlips

rippinlips New Member

State:
    iowa
    Shad for pelican I have never tryed that.LMFAO

3. IA Flatcatter

IA Flatcatter New Member

State:
    SE IA. on the skunk river
    Hey Kenny,

What kinda rig do you use when you are pelican fishing?
    Do alternative fishing methods work on em? (that way we would have something new to argue about on here!):roll_eyes:
    What size do you eat and how big is a trophy?
    I'm not sure what the limit is either, or do you cpr all your catch?
    Never a dull moment huh? wish i could seen a vidieo of that!
    Thanks for sharing bro,
    larry

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Maybe this was natures way of leading you to a new catfish bait and you let it go. Now you will never know.. I to would have liked to witness that tangle tango.

5. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    (LOL) I am glad I dont have a video man it was a riot(LOL) them baby's are mean(LOL)

6. Iablue

Iablue New Member

State:
    IOWA
    Funny Kenny. I can just about imagine!:wink::smile2::smile2::big_smile:

7. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Hate to admit it Kenny, but I got one of those last year in a rain storm... I know what you are saying bro they got one hell of a fight on them, I wish you had a video camera for sure....

Maybe next time you will get him! :eek:oooh:

8. Longjohn119

Longjohn119 Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    Don't laugh, there used to be a guy who fished below the Coralville Dam using huge treble hooks and whole (But not quite full grown) chickens. He'd singe off the feathers with a torch and let them sit in the sun a couple of days. When he got ready to use one he'd put it on that big ol treble and slit it's belly so the guts were hanging out and toss it in. He held the flathead record in Iowa for awhile but he caught it somewhere other than Coralville but swore the ones there were bigger but he'd never been able to get one into the boat and officially weighed. I thought he was pulling my leg when I asked him what he used for bait and he said whole chickens until he showed them to me and showed me his rigs

At that time the biggest cat I'd ever caught was probably 8-10 pounds (Which at the time I thought was pretty danged good) so it sure inspired my to up my game. Never tried the whole chicken thing myself though