Iowa at Heart!

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by C_wernett, Mar 27, 2006.

1. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I currently reside in NC, but grew up in the great land of Iowa. I still make trips back there with my family once a year to see family, friends, and above all else, do some fishing! Which usually includes pursuing catfish, walleyes, smallmouth, pike, crappies, trout, and everything else that we maybe in the same body of water with. I'm looking to make the best of my next trip, and try to get a trophy Iowa catfish. My tactics have totally changed as far as catfish go, in the past year, and I'm hoping to cash in on a fish I think I didn't make the most of growing up!

My main river for catching catfish is the Cedar River. Main target areas are near Osage and the dam at Nashua. We do really good with channels at both of these areas, catching from 3 to more than a dozen a night, with fish averaging 3lbs. in weight, and topping out around 6lbs. Does anyone else fish these areas and catch anything besides channels? I know when you get down around Cedar Falls, there used to catch a few flatheads, but how far up are they found in the river? I'd like to get my long time friend and fishing buddy into his first flathead the week I'm there this summer.

I've also go the option of the Mississippi. I've got a sister and nephews in Prairie du Chien, Wis. and have fished that section quite a bit. Does anyone catch any beasts over in that area, or would looking around the island down to the train bridge be a waste of time?

If anyone can think of anywere else within a couple of hours Cresco that has really good potential of catching cats in the double digits at least, I'd love to hear some pointers.

2. graybeard

graybeard New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I used to fish the Cedar some, not so much anymore, but mostly in the Vinton-Laporte City area. According to my Iowa fishing atlas, flatheads pretty much stop at the dam in Waterloo. I'd say your best bet would be the Mississippi in that area of the state, but I can't help on where to go, as I've not fished in that area.

3. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Yeah, that's what I was figuring, but I wasn't sure. I know that there has got to be some bigger channels up in the areas that we fish and catch them too, we just haven't been able to find any real bruisers. Like I said, our biggest ever being 6lbs.