invasive threats heading north.

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by river scum, Mar 1, 2009.

1. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i read on another board that those asian carp were working their way up the kankake and wabash rivers. wont be long till they are in the great lakes! somone said they were around the mississinawa(sp?) reservoir on the wabash. the threat has finnaly reached us up north,thought it would take a bit longer myself:sad2:

2. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    man! bad news brother... I havent seen any except on TV when they shocked a river that apeared as calm as glass until they hit that shock button and the air INSTANTLY became full of carp..... hundreds of carp! My jaw hit he floor in disbelief and I was disgusted to say the least! OMG, what are we going to do? With my luck, my first incounter will be a world record flying carp beaning me in the forehead at full boat speed:beat_brick:

3. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    dont even say that bro.!

4. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Those carp are bad dudes. They've been here on the wabash for at least a couple of years now. I figured it was only a matter of time before they made their way further north. They're saying it could be devestating to the Great Lakes if they end up in there. I have seen measures on (I think) the Illinois river to create a barrier to keep them out of the lakes and it seems to be working. It somehow involves electricity. Let's cross our fingers. What sucks probably the most is that they are very difficult to catch with conventional rod and reel.

5. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    This whole thing with the Asian Carp sucks and has me worried. I don't know when people will realize that exotic fish farms should be outlawed...demand for the product or not, the fish can end up in native bodies of water via flood, impoundment failures, or even naturally by birds. It's sad...I saw a video on youtube from some people in illinois who have asian carp rodeos (kinda looks like fun lol). We could feed a lot of people and fertilize a lot of fields with those things.

6. rairdog

rairdog New Member

State:
    IN
    I have been snagging them in Lafayette for almost 5 years now. I first snagged one in St Louis about 12 years ago. They are fun to snag. The initial run is a great rush. Almost like a King salmon if you snag their body. If you snag their mouth they come in fairly easy. Cut their gills and leave them on the bank. A big treble with a 1/2 oz bell sinker one foot below works great. They will get past the weirs and I suspect they already have. Just not a big enough population to notice yet. The weirs are basically a set of bars that are run across the bottom with elec current running through them. Current gets stonger on the bars upstream. I fish by one in Custer MI on the Pere Marquette that is used to knock the lamprey's off the steelhead and salmon. It is designed to divert the fish through gratings that separate the smaller lamprey's from the bigger fish. It's pretty cool to watch. The DNR guy gave me and a buddy the full tour. The asian carp have not made it to Noblesville yet as far as I can tell. To many dam's to jump. Kill them all. Bow, 22, shotgun or snag. Make for great bow practice. It helps give you piece of mind knowing one dead can eliminate 250,000 offspring. They will be sitting at mouth's of feeder creeks in April-May gorging for the spawn. They just lay on the bottom and pump plankton through the gill filters. They are easy to sneak up on and if they spook, just move and they will come right back. That's my .02 cents worth.

7. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    I hate those stupid things. I have been hit by them before and it is no fun. They do make good bait though. Get one to jump in the boat and cut them up and catch blues on them in the summer. Mo river is full of the nasty things. They need to figure out a good way to get ride of them.

Tom

8. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I really wondered about whether or not they made good bait... I also remember seeing the electricity idea to stop them.... I forget exactly the details, but I remember being left with the impression that it seemed like a HUGE waste of time and $BIG money$

I'm thinkin' we're foobarred on this one fella's. At least till river scum comes up with a brainstorm anyway:wink:

9. gofish98

gofish98 New Member

State:
    Lafayette Indiana
    hey Tim , they are thick in the walbash down here . My suzuki engine pretty quiet and they don't jump around it very often . I was out with my brother inlaw last summer in his mercury jet drive boat , and they were jumpin all around us , hit'n the side and bottom of the boat . none landed in the boat that day , but he's had alot of em jump in the boat . these were not little fish , they were 1 to 2 feet long , maybe up to 10 pounds ! I would guess we seen 75 or more that day . they are bad news !!

10. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    When I was with the DNR I helped salvage fish from the basin on the downstream side of the Huntington Reservoir dam. We pulled a 54" bighead carp from there! That was 4-5 years ago. I know the DNR did a fish survey on the Upper Wabash last summer & found the asian carp all over the place...but not real thick yet.

Someplace I have a pic of that big nasty thing. If I find it I'll post it.

11. RiverBuggy4x4

RiverBuggy4x4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    dude i wanna catch these and beat em to oblivian

12. RiverBuggy4x4

RiverBuggy4x4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    turtles will have a chance again now that these things are running:smile2:

13. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    I found the pic. The years have extended the fishes length in my mind...not 54" but a good 48" Maybe it was 54 pounds? Regardless, it is a beast. The truck bed its sitting on is a full size Chevy.

Attached Files:

14. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    That's one big carp...enough cut bait for at least a year...I couldn't imagine one of them jumping in the boat with me. You'd need more than a hard hat.

15. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    wow no kidding Ben. one that big would take you rite out of the boat! great picture Matt.

16. RiverBuggy4x4

RiverBuggy4x4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    good lord man that thing would kill you dead if it hit you

17. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    ewwwww.. thats what pritty kitty look like in the mornings!!!! YUCK!!!:wink:

18. RiverBuggy4x4

RiverBuggy4x4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    ahahahahahhahahahahahaha you better watch it she might jump off her meds :smile2:

19. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    UUUUUMMMMMMMMM!! LOL