Invasive Flathead Catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by jolie, Dec 23, 2008.

1. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    I know from the forum that some lakes out in the east have flatheads; that seems odd to me. Flatheads aren't native to susquehanna watershed at all.
    Obviously the lower susky/skuke has excellent habitat for the flats- but how did they get there in the first place:0a36:
    Did the commission actually put the in? I get the feeling most fish commissions would rather stock alligators than flats- cause of the devastating effect on panfish! Was it sportsmen clubs (don't they have to get commission approval before putting in a potentially invasive fish)...

No one has proved to me that any of the large lakes in the west have flats, so how did you guys get so lucky as to have established invasive flatheads stockings:eek:oooh: while even fertile dams in the west- get the more ordinary channels?? I'm jealous in a way:angry:.

I'm sure that shenango and pymy (to name two large western reservoirs) have a forage base and flathead habitat to equal any of those eastern reservoirs (that Do have the flatheads).

2. great pappy cat

great pappy cat Active Member

State:
    P.A
    Ive heard alot as to how the flattys showed up in the susky. The 2 Id buy the most is.. 1 or 2 getting mixed in with a bullhead stocking or, anglers illegally transporting them from western waters then releaseing them. I personally think the later. I think flathead have been around alot longer than anyone thinks. Despite being prolific breeders it would take a long time to be as established as they are. Its likely western reservoirs do have flatty populations. The more water there is the more spread out they would be. I bet not alot of people target them also.

3. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    Amen brother Joseph.

4. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    thats how they got in Blue Marsh mistakenly put in with channel fingerlings flathead fingerlings got mixed in when they built it flood control dam I'd like to help out mother nature since they are building fish ladders are knocking out dams anyway for amaerican shad to make it from the ocean to Hamburg it would be ok if I brought some flats up from the lower end of the skuke they eventually will come up any way won't they?

5. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    [ Its likely western reservoirs do have flatty populations. The more water there is the more spread out they would be. I bet not alot of people target them also.[/quote]

I've done alot of Channel cat fishing in all the western reservoirs and know alot of people that fish them too and have never seen or heard of any Flats in western lakes. I don't believe there is any in them:sad2:. I wish there was

6. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    The Fish Commission says that they were stocked by someone who wanted flatheads in the river. To be honest, even if someone did release 5 to 10 flatheads in the river it would be mathematically impossible for 10 flatheads to find each other and reproduce at such a prolific rate.

The most logically explantion is comtaminated stocking of altheads in channel or bullhead stockings. the Fish Commission doesn't want to make it look like it was their fault.

It is scientifically proven that flatheads in non-native waters grow at faster rate than the ones in native waters due to more prey options. Take a look at the James and Potomac Rivers for bluecats. Same thing.

7. tomsfishing4

tomsfishing4 New Member

State:
    pa
    well i can tell you from personal expierence there are for sure flats in the keystone power dam res.north of apollo i was fishing using large shiners and caught one ther this past summer. complete accident,but quite a plesant surprise!!!

8. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    It wouldn't be impossible for flats to be in your western lakes. They are in Mosquito Lake in eastern Ohio. I have even heard "uncomfirmed" reports of Flatheads being caught from Lake Erie.

9. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    welcome to the site tom, lots of good info floatin around this site, hope ta see some pics. this spring

10. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    Welcome to the Boc Tom enjoy the fellowship and info and look forward to hearing from you and hearing some fishing stories and pics too good luck in 09:wink:

11. PaCatfishHunter

PaCatfishHunter New Member

State:
    Greensburg, PA
    I hear the same rumor about there being flatheads in Lake Erie.

12. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Nothing like some good flathead fishing. I would hope that there would be more lake stocking (legal or unconventional :wink:) to spread this awesome fish's habitat

13. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I'll bet a flathead in Erie could grow pretty big.

14. PaCatfishHunter

PaCatfishHunter New Member

State:
    Greensburg, PA
    If the rumor is true then I bet there would be some monsters in Lake Erie.

15. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    you might start hearing stories like at Loch Ness:smile2:

16. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    well I have to eat my words a little and point this out.

the last biologist report of Keystone power dam found 2 big flatheads. the commish interestingly enough didn't comment on them. But I find it significant to find 2 large individuals show up in such a limited survey. here's the link http://www.fish.state.pa.us/images/fisheries/afm/2008/2x08_12keystone.htm

17. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Some of the stockings here on the east coast were INTENTIONAL on the part of the state wildlife commissions. They just didn't have the forsight to see the negative impact (depending on your point of view) it would eventually have on the river ecosystems.

18. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

There's goes the bass fishing in western PA:cool2:LOL!

19. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    Then they ask the Pa fisherman to kill every flathead caught one year then don't mention it at all the next what is up with that? Blacky is right they should just make them and all catfish legal gamefish and make the limit a little more reasonable 50 is a bit high in day I say 10-15 per day is plenty for a person for channels or flatheads if the person would choose to keep them face it they are in the Schuylkill River system now they are building fish ladders and knocking down dams what do they think is going to happen?They are going to spread out and comsume fish,that is what they do!I expect to catch them in my spots in 5-6 years minimum :0a32:

20. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Thanks for the link Jason! :big_smile: Keystone Power Dam isn't too far from me. I had no idea Flatheads had been netted there! I may have to give it a go some night this year! :cool2: