Introduction!

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by OttoDita, Aug 15, 2008.

1. OttoDita

OttoDita New Member

State:
    Ontario, canada
    Hi Everyone,

Just thought I'd intoduce myself here:)

Primarily I'm a flyfisherman. But recently, my sons' girlfriend moved in with us and now the both have them have been my fishing partners. So, I've found myself doing a lot of still fishing. One of the places we go is a resevoir, but we fish about 3 miles from the dam. Anyways, lots of flatties in there:)

My name is Shane, I'm 28, lots of tattoos, I breed reptiles for a living. And was born to fish. This community seems to be quite large. While waiting for my account to be validated I was reading through some threads, and WOW! It's big. Thank you, it's a pleasure to be part of it.

Please forgive me, since catfishing is new to me, I'll the dumb one always asking stupid questions :)

Thanks again, and take care everyone,
    Shane

2. slinky

slinky New Member

State:
    ohio
    we all started somewhere good luck and if u have any ? ASK lol

3. OttoDita

OttoDita New Member

State:
    Ontario, canada
    Thanks a lot Mike, I'll certainly be asking a lot lol:)

Forgot to mention, I'm from Canada, Southwestern Ontario.

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC to both of you.

5. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    The only dumb questions are the ones not asked:wink: WELCOME to the BOC land of the questions:smile2:

6. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Welcome to the BOC man. You're gonna live it here!

7. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    WELCOME TO THE BOC..:smile2:

8. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Welcome to the BOC from Pennsylvania

9. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    :0a25: welcome aboard to both of ya :)

A great grandpa gave me a flyrod when I was little. I figured out how to whip it back and forth watching an old movie and started catching perch with floating line and a mono leader... used the floating line like a cork hehe. Tied into a big bass once and had a ball catching him. Been thinking of using a flyrod to do a little catfishing simply because I love the fight of catching channels on a limber fiberglass scoping pole. Any of yall ever catch catfish on a flyrod?

10. lilgriz

lilgriz New Member

State:
    Aurora, KY
    Welcome aboard from western Kentucky! You'll find this place very informative and enjoyable! Ask anything you need to ask!

11. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC Shane. You will have a blast here. I never woulda thought there were flatheads in Canada. Do they get very big there?

12. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Welcome to the BOC. ><[[[[º>

13. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    welcome and have fun on the water :wink:

14. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Welcome To The BOC Shane, Your Going To Love It here. Have You Caught Any Big Channels I.E. Over 25-30 pounds There In Canada??

15. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Welcome to the BOC.....

16. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    welcome to the boc and good luck:big_smile:

17. OttoDita

OttoDita New Member

State:
    Ontario, canada
    Thanks for the welcome everyone!! It's great to be here.

I've never flyfished for cats, never caught one accidently either, I hear they're a lot of fun on the fly though. I've been tempted to try a hook and worm just to see what they're like lol. I use mostly a 2wt that I built myself. It's a good little rod, was. It was stolen not long ago with a lot of my gear.

As for flats in Canada. They're here, just not sure how big they get. I hope to find out:tounge_out: Well, everyone around here calls them "Mud cats". But when looking for what it was I've been catching I came to the conclusion they're flatties. The largest I've caught so far is...Well, first, when everyone hears the biggest, don't everyone rush over to fish!!:smile2: Largest is about 7 inches LOL. And hundreds of these little guys. I fish from a bridge here, it's about 10 feet deep under the bridge. And no clue how deep where I cast to. But I launch out about 50 feet. And I swear every little catfish in the entire resevoir are sitting whereever I cast in this spot. Cause in a 10 hour period I could pull out hundreds of these little cats. On worms.

The problem with ontario, is we're not allowed to use live fish, with the exception of minnows. Carp, Bluegills, are all out of the question.. Doesn't say we can't use them dead. Just says live bait! I've been using worms (Because of the kids). They like to catch the intsy wintsy fish, like 1" LMB, and 3-4" Perch. So I've used the worms and catch these baby cats. Up until lastnight I had no idea what you pros used for bait.

I put together some homemade stink bait the other night. But after reading through some threads, I doubt it'll work for flatties LOL. So I'm going to let the kids catch some perch and half fillet them for bait.

Anyways, thanks again everyone!! :big_smile:
    Shane

18. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Shane welcome to the B.O.C.,best catfishing community on the planet.

We have a little everything on the forums, even fly fishing. Hope you enjoy it

19. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Sounds cool man! You "DO NOT HAVE TO CATCH BIG FISH TO HAVE FUN!" Little fish are very fun for sure. Just remember .. if your sure they are flathead and not bullhead then that means a larger flathead layed eggs so your in the right body of water you just need to move around a little. As far as questions go do some research on the site before you ask them.. I find I can streamline my questions better by reading all the questions the others have asked already. Hope you continue to have fun even those little ones are fun and if the kids are having a good time then just keep it up!

20. OttoDita

OttoDita New Member

State:
    Ontario, canada
    Come to think of it, they might be bullheads. Might explain why I've never seen one larger than te 6-8" range..:sad2: