Introducing people to the outdoors

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by opposum, Jan 12, 2010.

1. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    How many of you introduced someone to the outdoors this last year for their first time? Young/old it doesn't matter. The main thing is that you shared your knowledge with someone and introduced them to the outdoors. If you didn't last year then maybe this year is the time to give it a try. Take someone new out so they can enjoy the outdoors and see what it is all about. Our future of hunting, fishing, trapping, and camping depend on it.

This last year I saw two youngsters take thier first deer. I enjoyed that more than any animal I've harvested. I plan on spending a lot more time this year with my nieces and nephews in the outdoors hunting and fishing. I'm going to try to talk my niece into turkey hunting this spring. How about you?

2. ultramindbrk

ultramindbrk New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I actually harvested my first deer this year..Dropped by my parents house to show my doe off..My Dad,who never hunted before,said he would actually like to try bow hunting..Rifle hunting(although he owned a few guns growing up) just never enticed him due to the possibilty of shooting someone..So he was never really into the whole outdoors thing. We have fished together once or twice,but I think I am going to buy a boat real soon and take my mom and dad out with me and get into some catfish with them this year. I know they would enjoy it,as long as I can get them into some fish..So I plan on doing that this year! My main goal! Good post! Maybe sometime soon I can have him shoot my bow and if he's anything like me,maybe he will fall in love with archery/deer hunting like I did 2 years ago..

3. Blade4130

Blade4130 Well-Known Member

State:
    Independence MO
    Introducing kids and people into outdoors is fun. My best freind doesn't fish, but his son loves to because of me. He started fishing with me about a year a half ago. This is his biggest, a big 16 pound channel he got last year on a outing with me at blue springs lake.

Attached Files:

4. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Great posts guys. That's what it is all about. Young or old...get them out there and interested.

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I've been active in the youth program for years. Most every year i find myself teaching someone to turkey hunt. I'ld kill alot more if i hunted by myself, but i've killed my share if i never shoot another one. Takin Brandons" BKS72" son this year, we started plannin this last summer. I got him a caller and some literature boxed up i need to ship. Have more fun guiding/teaching than i do shootin. Somebody taught most of us, we owe it to the sport to pass it on.